Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

SJC-YVR-NRT; five hour layover in YVR. Which lounge would you recommend?

SJC-YVR-NRT; five hour layover in YVR. Which lounge would you recommend?

Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
According to none other than the NY Times, the best Asian food in North America can be found in Richmond, just 20 minutes by train from YVR. Here's the article:

The Best Asian Food in North America

I had dim sum yesterday at Empire Seafood, and would second the Times' assessment. It was as good as anything I've had in Hong Kong or Shanghai.
DrinkingCoffee likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1K3M, Marriott(SPG) Lifetime Plat
The Maple Leaf Lounge definitely. Do not use the Plaza Premium Lounge as it is just sub-par and crowded the last time I was there.

You definitely could go into town. The Canada Line is just across from the terminal as you exit, and it's pretty easy.

Not sure if you also have the same hours of connection on the way back, but if you do and you go back into security for a US-bound flight, bring your GE card if you have one, and that will get you into a different security line. I've never had to bring my GE card but for Canada I'd bring it.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
The simplified transit is in place so as noted just a review of your passport by immigration in a separate channel from those entering Canada, then into the International wing of the terminal, no security check or baggage claim/recheck. While there are two “swing gates” between the domestic and international wings of the terminal you cannot go into the domestic wing from the international through the same passage that permits domestic arriving passengers to pass through into the international wing without leaving airside or recreating security. You’d have to fully clear Canadian immigration and customs as if you were remaining in Canada, then re-enter through security the domestic wing. Not really worth it as the international MLL is much nicer. (if you have an Amex Platinum card or a Priority Pass there is also a Plaza Premium lounge in the international wing you can check out. Would not recommending you leave the terminal to venture either city centre Vancouver or Richmond.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Also if you've got status with an airline (i.e. UA Gold) or are flying back in J, please oh please check out the NH lounge at NRT. Easily one of the best lounges in Asia on shower quality alone (i.e. squeaky clean and loaded with amenities). They've also got a sushi and ramen bar and a buffet that makes the UC look like the appetizer station at a Ponderosa. The booze ain't bad either Finally, if that wasn't enough to convince you, they also have a sleeping section with blackout curtain and massage chairs that will whisk you to sleep.There are other lounges at NRT you would also have access to like the UC (which some FTers report have slightly better water pressure than the NH club but I'd argue the cleanliness and amenities alone make it way better than the UC).

I should also mention that while you're in Tokyo, make sure you check out the fish market and more specifically the sushi vendors in that area. They open as early as 5 AM and the experience is well worth the cost of admission!

Safe Travels,

James
That sounds incredible. I'm not sure how much free time I will have during this trip, although I may have some free time on my last day before an evening flight out. Is it easy to get to the fish market from NRT? I believe my hotel on the last night is by NRT.

I will definitely check out the NH lounge on my departure day. I fly from Tokyo to Fiji on Air New Zealand, and that is a whole different research adventure for me. I am so grateful for this community, as international travel by myself makes me very nervous. Thank you!
Old Aug 6, 2018, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skybluesea
Yes train is free to tempelton stn,

Richmond nearby if you like although nothing to do except shop here. Although better shops at Oakridge Mall which is easy to get to in about 15 mins without change of train.

and if you do not wish to venture far, The Fairmont Hotel is on top of intl terminal with great restaurant and fabulous view too. You can then go outside as little park with trail right in front of intl terminal.

unfortunately, depending on day of week the AC intl lounge can get pretty crowded so bit noisy for my taste.

All minor matters, have s great trip
The Fairmont hotel is an interesting idea. I just looked it up online, and they have a gym and several spa packages, which could help with the 5 hour lay over. I would love to get in a swim before getting on the flight to Tokyo. I assume I would have to leave the international terminal and then go through security again to get back to the terminal?
Old Aug 6, 2018, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by DrinkingCoffee
I assume I would have to leave the international terminal and then go through security again to get back to the terminal?
Yes. The hotel is ground side. (the walk to/from international security and the property is short)
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:29 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I would personally vote for the GlobeatYVR in the lobby of the attached Fairmont Vancouver Airport as the most pleasant place to hang out for 5 hours. Although it's not an included lounge, it's a nicer environment within the public side of the airport that is better than the Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounges or the Priority Pass Plaza Premiums in the area.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
i would personally vote for the globeatyvr in the lobby of the attached fairmont vancouver airport as the most pleasant place to hang out for 5 hours. Although it's not an included lounge, it's a nicer environment within the public side of the airport that is better than the air canada maple leaf lounges or the priority pass plaza premiums in the area.
👍🏻
Old Aug 6, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Let's start with the connection process first. When you arrive in YVR, you'll clear customs (should be fast, especially if you have a Nexus card), then walk to the international departures terminal (it's all in one large building) and clear security there. If you have checked bags you may need to pick them up and recheck them in before clearing security again (FTers from YVR please correct me if this has been updated from last time I was there). In terms of connection time you've got plenty of time!
This is incorrect - do not follow these instructions.

When you arrive at YVR, follow the signs to International Connections. You will have a cursory passport check - no need to pick up any checked bags or go through security again since you are arriving from the US. Your connecting boarding pass should have OSS on it.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your help. I plan to go to either get a gym pass for the Fairmont or go to the globeatyvr. How much time should I give myself to return through security to get to my gate for Tokyo? Thank you for your help!
Old Aug 6, 2018, 1:47 pm

Thank you everyone for your help. I plan to go to either get a gym pass for the Fairmont or go to the globeatyvr. How much time should I give myself to return through security to get to my gate for Tokyo? Thank you for your help!
Just be careful which path you follow after deplaning from SJC. While it's easy to make a US to International transfer from your flights, it would not be so easy to get out of the International departures area to "Canada" landside, which is where the Fairmont is.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by transportprof
Just be careful which path you follow after deplaning from SJC. While it's easy to make a US to International transfer from your flights, it would not be so easy to get out of the International departures area to "Canada" landside, which is where the Fairmont is.
Okay, I appreciate the heads up. I do not have Nexus, but I do have Global Entry. Should I bring my GE card? I have read in some places that they take the GE card in the Nexus line, but I don't know if those people are just lucky or if that is common practice.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 1:59 pm

Okay, I appreciate the heads up. I do not have Nexus, but I do have Global Entry. Should I bring my GE card? I have read in some places that they take the GE card in the Nexus line, but I don't know if those people are just lucky or if that is common practice.
I never understand why people leave their cards, second passports, etc. at home when they travel. What good could they do for you there? Bring everything. It's better to have something and not need it than to need something and not have it.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Definitely bring the card - you can use GE on your return trip.
Remember, if you are planning to go to theh Fairmont, on arrival you will clear Canadian immigration as an arriving passenger.
On departure, you will re-clear security, plan to go through about 75 minutes before your flight time, it can be a zoo, although at certain
times of the day there is a priority lane for J passengers.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Definitely take your GE card. CATSA will not let you into the priority screening line when you go back through security after your visit to the Fairmont without showing either a Nexus or a GE card.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.