Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Porter to become Aeroplan preferred Canadian airline partner

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Porter to become Aeroplan preferred Canadian airline partner

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
At the moment I see the banks (TD and CIBC) having the greatest concerns with the offer being rejected. If their contracts with AE require them to purchase a minimum number of miles each year, they need to retain clients for their AE cards. However, both banks have Visa cards that offer their own points programs and they could convince (through sign up bonuses) cardholders to move over to these products. But these programs are really of value when redeeming for economy flights as they basically only offer a points to dollar credit off regular airline fares, so buying premium flights would not be practical.

And this would be a major problem for the new AE since any airline partner with premium cabins would certainly not sell them award seats at the current mark-up of 30%-50% over basic economy awards. The most attractive members for such a program are those who ultimately want premium awards...and AC’s new program (Altitude 2.0) will be able to offer these at the same mark-up under the STAR partnership agreements.

And if AC’s elites are burning down their AE miles, then it would prove practical to start up Altitude 2.0 with a stash of redeemable miles by crediting these accounts with a comparable number of miles as they have as their AE balances as of July 2020. Given AC was prepared to take on $2 billion of liability from unused AE miles in the purchase offer, it could surely handle a similar number of “free” miles in its new program...say cover up to 200 billion miles. The biggest concern among Altitude elites (and others who may fly AC more than once a year but not achieve elite status) must be the prospect of having no redeemable miles in a new program for quite a while. AC must adopt some scheme to prime the pump so either crediting (up to a certain ceiling per account, say 100K) one’s AE balance or arbitrarily giving 25K miles to 25K elites, 35K to 35K elites, etc. Even with 1 million elites, that’s likely less than the afore noted 200 billion AE miles liability.

With a simple, uncomplicated FF program, AC should be able to license software from one of its STAR partners to create a platform, and ramp up space and staff at existing call centres to handle calls for less than the $350 million it was offering for AE. I suppose the biggest issue for AC will be having access to non-Altitude AE members, though which ever of the two banks come over, they’d bring their portion of that group.

I don’t believe a stand alone AE could survive after the transition period on AC awards ends. Air Miles has captured the country’s major grocery chains (Metro and Sobey’s/Safeway) and gas chain (Shell). Loblaws has added Shoppers Drugs and Esso to its Optimum program which leaves AE with two major consumer gaps for what will be a shopping loyalty program. Unless it buys Optimum or Canadian Tire’s Triangle (though the latter has no grocery partner) the odds of surviving against Air Miles is slim to none. AIMIA’s Board has let shareholders down by not taking the enhanced AC/banks offer along with the AeroMexico one, and folded up the company distributing the spoils to shareholders.
eracerblue likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by yscleo
Porter is small and won't make much of a dent in the overall business to AC. But ae just showed they can get another partner, to issue the tickets. AC was ae's ticketing carrier. ae just found an alternative. ae can still partner with WS, OW, or others.
Good point about AC’s role as AE’s ticket issuer. But PD can’t issue tickets on other IATA carriers and is even limited on Jet Blue, it runs a closed system. AE would need to set itself up as a TA to even plate OW tickets.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:48 pm

Aimia is just posturing hoping for better offer, but unless they get get agreement with an airline/alliance with significant penetration in Canada, they can't bluff AC
capedreamer likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I still see this ending with AC/TD/CIBC buying Aeroplan from Aimia, ending up at ~$400 million.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott Bonvoy (Gold)
Aimia and Porter Airlines form new Aeroplan partnership

TORONTO — Aimia Inc. says it has a new deal for Toronto-based Porter Airlines to become a preferred Canadian airline for the Aeroplan loyalty points program as of July 2020, when the current arrangement with Air Canada ends.

The announcement follows Aimia’s rejection of a bid for Aeroplan from an Air Canada-led group that includes the key Aeroplan credit card partners Toronto-Dominion Bank, Canadian I

I personaly think that this is not good news.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 8:54 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by taupo
This seems very poorly thought by Aimia.
More like a cut off your nose to spite your face reaction to the AC/TD/CIBC/Visa bid.
The people who made this deal were likely long term screwed no matter what transpired.

Taking this route they also get the satisfaction of vengeance.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 9:05 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
AC has been dirty/sleazy/underhanded, and too arrogant in this bid. Now everybody takes a break in this long weekend.
AC knows of difficulties in trying to build a system on their own, and will be motivated to up the price. Next week let's watch AC/TD/CIBC/VISA, all with deep pockets, come back and buy between $400-450M.
425 isn't much higher than 325 for the group, and gives AC a way to tell the investors and point holders the turbulence is over.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 9:28 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by lcohen999
I can't wait to use my AE miles to get to CDG on Porter in J!!!
So pretty much the same situation as in 2020 if AC bought AE?
yscleo and eracerblue like this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by lcohen999
I can't wait to use my AE miles to get to CDG on Porter in J!!!

...wait a minute...
Don't underestimate Porter on this one. I bet it would be a lot of fun flying around in a Q400 from YTZ to CDG including the many adventurous stopovers on the way: YUL, YSJ, YQX, GOH, KEF, DUB. No doubt you'll have access to unlimited complimentary peanuts and light beer to make the trip more enjoyable. Remember kids, the Q stands for Quiet

Safe Travels,

James
Old Aug 4, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: Aeroplan E75K
Originally Posted by Cozmo456
I do not understand why they are talking to Oneworld. AE runs the program for Aeromexico. They are SkyTeam. Seems like a better choice.
Aimia owns just under 50% of the ClubPremiere (Aeromexico's FFP) stock and does not run the program.

Originally Posted by robsaw
Porter is JUST the preferred Canadian airline partner, it hasn't limited anything given talks with other airlines including Oneworld Alliance. You'd think it was an exclusive partnership with Porter by the reaction.
EXACTLY

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Good point about AC’s role as AE’s ticket issuer. But PD can’t issue tickets on other IATA carriers and is even limited on Jet Blue, it runs a closed system. AE would need to set itself up as a TA to even plate OW tickets.
Didn't Aimia said that Aeroplan will run as a travel agency? They don't need an exclusive airline ticket issuer.

Originally Posted by yvr76
I still see this ending with AC/TD/CIBC buying Aeroplan from Aimia, ending up at ~$400 million.
Or they come up with a deal for the group to buy a portion of the billion of miles from Aeroplan for transfer to AC's new program. I doubt the group is going to buy and shut down Aeroplan. But my guess, there will be some kind of arrangement.

AC must be worried about Porter and other airlines getting all their Rapidair customers' buying habits. Data on the 5 million members is priceless to AC competitors.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by YUL-Insider
AC must be worried about Porter and other airlines getting all their Rapidair customers' buying habits. Data on the 5 million members is priceless to AC competitors.
Doubt it. I am one of those Rapidair customers. I used to fly almost exclusively on Porter. At the time, AC service was poor and it was a hassle going back and forth to YYZ. Then, I stopped flying Porter, lost my 20,000+ Porter Points and never looked back. Why? AC service had significantly improved, while Porter's had tumbled. Best of all, the wonderful YYZ airport express train line opened. What a delight and game changer.

Short story: I doubt I would go back to Porter. I doubt the thousands of others who have had to deal with the cancellations and chronic delays of Porter would go back either. AC improved such that it is now a slightly better experience.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
got a laugh out of this bit:
"will make up to 60% of seats available for redemption"

upto 60% of seats on fights with a historical low yield / low price / low season.

upto 60% of seats on fligts booked..... 6 months early? within 24 hours of travel?
Old Aug 4, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by expert7700
got a laugh out of this bit:
"will make up to 60% of seats available for redemption"

upto 60% of seats on fights with a historical low yield / low price / low season.

upto 60% of seats on fligts booked..... 6 months early? within 24 hours of travel?
Pedantic logic guy here: "Up to 60%" only means that they've put an upper bound on it ... not a lower bound. If they make only 1% of their seats available, they are still compliant with the above statement.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by jasdou
Doesn't Porter have some kind of interline agreement with JetBlue? If B6 flights get accessible through AE, then that could be somewhat more interesting, though still very limited in terms of accessible destinations compared to a global alliance.
Not just jetBlue. They do have interline agreements with Azores airline, Icelandic Airlines, Quatar and El Al.

When you need to get from Toronto to some of the more obscure parts of the world, the raccoon has your back.

Last edited by Fiordland; Aug 4, 2018 at 4:03 pm
Old Aug 4, 2018, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Fiordland
When you need to get from Toronto to some of the more obscure parts of the world, the raccoon has your back.
Unsure about that statement, their route map is limited to Toronto, Montreal and obscure cities in Canada to large cities in the US like NY, Chicago, Washington, Boston and Orlando. More or less the important airports in the RapidAir/Commuter network.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.