Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Porter to become Aeroplan preferred Canadian airline partner

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Porter to become Aeroplan preferred Canadian airline partner

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jcamp028
Everyone west of Thunder Bay just got screwed royally. Wow. Such drama.
I don't fly PD, so am I more screwed or less screwed by this?
Oh wait, I do mainly Long Haul and Ultra Long Haul travel, so it makes no difference! I've also managed to keep my Aeroplan points balance relatively low all these years, thanks to IKK.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I will be dropping my Aeroplan TD Visa card.
Will be looking at alternative cards that are not AE related
I am down to just over 100,000 AE miles, burning them all off. As SE, not that difficult.
Will not take the double AE miles for air travel if offered as one of the "benefits" of SE status moving forward.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 7:06 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by global happy traveller
With Porter's small area perhaps it will cost 75k to get from YYZ to YHZ?

Then again they are in talks w OneWorld etc etc....
With WS leaning into ST, and AC sticking with *A, a Porter-Aeroplan-OW situation would be interesting.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq

You may not be able to fly to FLL but you can get to Myrtle Beach, and Orlando
Yay, so if I want to use AE points to south florida, Porter to Orlando and then a 4 hour drive. Sounds like great value
Old Aug 3, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by jcamp028
Everyone west of Thunder Bay just got screwed royally. Wow. Such drama.

I just received an e-mail about this from TD Canada Trust - Basically a plea to keep my credit card even though they have no idea what the next step is.
Screwed? nah- how about liberated...

We wait to see how badly TD etc wants to 'keep' our CC business...
Old Aug 3, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: AC SE
Doesn't Porter have some kind of interline agreement with JetBlue? If B6 flights get accessible through AE, then that could be somewhat more interesting, though still very limited in terms of accessible destinations compared to a global alliance.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
Porter...."the only airline that serves beer in tall boy cans"
Old Aug 3, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by imverge
To be fair. Porter is the first airline they've signed a formal deal with. I'm sure WestJet won't be far behind along with others.
This. Waiting to hear who the remaining 20 airlines are.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 7:59 am

Great we'll get to see all the great Canadian cities PD has to offer like Toronto, Toronto Island,... Oh and Montreal on clear days! Who knows maybe AA will pick up the domestic slack and fly to YVR and cities out west....here's to dreaming!

-James
Old Aug 3, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond

Aimia and Porter Airlines form new Aeroplan points partnership

even more interesting now. Porter is tiny and won't threaten AC much. If it was WS it'd pose a much bigger threat. But if they continue the talks with all other airlines, alliances, etc., there can be more news.

AC screwed up badly. They were dirty/sleazy/underhanded and too arrogant. They now have a gigantic missed opportunity. Will they ante up to pay, and get it over with.
KenHamer likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 8:07 am

Porter Airlines and Aeroplan Announce New Comprehensive PartnershipTORONTO, Aug. 3, 2018 /CNW Telbec/ - Porter Airlines and Aimia Inc. (TSX: AIM) are announcing a comprehensive partnership designating Porter as a preferred Canadian airline to issue Aeroplan Miles on Porter routes effective July 2020. Porter will also become a redemption partner, as of the effective time of the agreement, offering up to 60% of seat inventory for the purchase of flights with Aeroplan Miles at fixed-rate prices. The arrangement includes an extensive cooperative marketing program targeting existing Aeroplan members, with an emphasis on members who travel on Porter routes.

https://aimia.mediaroom.com/2018-08-...ve-Partnership
Old Aug 3, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM
I do not understand why they are talking to Oneworld. AE runs the program for Aeromexico. They are SkyTeam. Seems like a better choice.

But then again I am a nobody in my armchair with popcorn watching this Sh$t Show.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE
Originally Posted by mromalley
Any Porter flight I have ever taken has been delayed, sometimes for hours. They don't have capacity if something goes off.
Definitely not. And when I was a student I tried to fly them YTZ-YHZ or YQM (don't remember which), and had to stop in YOW since their flights rarely fly direct to the east coast from YTZ. We all got kicked off the plane because the aircraft was more valuable on the YTZ-YOW run than YOW-Maritimes and they needed the plane in Ontario. A couple of hours later we all boarded another plane and finished the trip east. I didn't fly them for a couple of years - thanks to work and my regained AC status - but just last week I took them YSJ-YTZ and texted my family from the ground in YOW to say "I don't care how convenient it is, I'm never doing Porter into YJT (Stephenville, NL) and having two of these stops". I mean, sure, the beer in tall cans is great, but that means there are some people on the plane whose goal seems to be getting bombed on free beer. It's basically a vacation airline now.

My colleagues who fly PD between YOW and YTZ say they love going into the island but they have enough experience on PD to know which flights will end up cancelled. I wonder if this is a way to shore up Porter? I'm a bit curious abou ttheir financial situation.

I'm glad I've been aggressively burning up my Aeroplan miles. I ditched the credit card a year or so ago, no regrets.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: AC 35k
Sticking with Aeroplan without Air Canada was never going to be an option for people who actually fly Air Canada on revenue. Whether AE can survive like Air Miles depends on how many of these partnerships they can find. If you live in Toronto and fly Porter a lot, I suppose this could be enticing to you.
meagicano likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Cozmo456
I do not understand why they are talking to Oneworld. AE runs the program for Aeromexico. They are SkyTeam. Seems like a better choice.
Why limit to just one alliance when you can partner more than one? I think Porter is a good first step. Let's see the next rabbit Aeroplan pulls out of the hat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.