Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Are comfort devices for long haul flights allowed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are comfort devices for long haul flights allowed?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Question Are comfort devices for long haul flights allowed?

This fall my husband and I are travelling to Japan via Shanghai and the over-14-hour flight has us a bit worried about comfort. The longest flight we've been on in the past was just shy of 8 hours and we were pretty sore by the end of it. We're flying economy as we booked a tour and there was no option to upgrade, and I know that thousands of people do these long haul flights every day so I'm looking for a bit of advice on how to stay comfortable, and what's allowed.

We are hoping to sleep for much of the flight so that we are well rested to begin our trip, and have all the usual eye masks, noise reducing headphones, etc. A big concern for me is that we both experience low back sensitivity so I recently bought foot hammocks (Ohderii Portable Travel Footrest Hammock) which attach to the seat back tray table in order to help alleviate this issue. When purchasing I simply read the reviews on Amazon and didn't think twice about it, but now I'm wondering if these will even be allowed to be used? They don't impede recline for the seat in front. I don't want to get into trouble for attempting to use one, but I also want to be as comfy as possibly for the journey.

Does anyone have experience with this type of device and whether it is allowed? If not allowed, would you suggest an inflatable footrest or another solution? Any advice or insight would be appreciated - thank you!
Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
While this topic was inadvertently posted in another forum as member is new to Flyertalk I'll reopen this thread and ask for member input to their question because there is no more knowledgeable group of Air Canada flyers than on this forum.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
jc94 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Sorry really can’t help but thanks for sharing - who knew such a thing even existed.

only observation is how might the foot movement and body weight transmit vibration etc to traveler’s seat ahead - I find it terribly annoying when folks are getting up and pull top of my seat back and when they let go slingshots through backrest.

good luck and look forward to hearing more about this.

Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:47 pm

Please do NOT use this device. It will be a major annoyance to the passenger in the seat ahead of you AND if AC considers it to be an "attachment" they won't allow it.
skybluesea and Admiral Ackbar like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
AC will not allow it.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
AC will consider it an attachment and not allow it.
When I fly YVR to HKG thats a 13-14 hour flight depending on the day. I remember flying in Y cabin on the 777-300 cattle plane.
Unless you 2 are super heavy sleepers, getting anything more than 4-5 hours of sleep is a miracle.My advice for you and your husband.
1. Try to get a bulkhead seat, keep checking weekly if you are ok with paying for the upgrade.
2. If you can't get bulkhead, try to get aisle seating
3. Try to get up and walk around every few hours.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 5:20 pm

I suspect the simple solution to this problem would be choosing a seat on the airplane with ample leg room (not sure if AC has any of those on their TPAC routes) or failing that choose UA and get one of their window over-wing emergency exit seats on their 777. They are free (if not already taken) and give you so much leg room you can literally leave your window seat without having to step over anyone!

Safe Travels,

James
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 10:03 pm

Programs: SE100K
If you are talking about the foot hammock:

They sell these foot “hammock” things that you strap onto the seat in front of, you at the airport, so I am sure they are allowed on the plane.

https://travelupdate.boardingarea.co...-foot-hammock/
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by yoga
If you are talking about the foot hammock:

They sell these foot “hammock” things that you strap onto the seat in front of, you at the airport, so I am sure they are allowed on the plane.

https://travelupdate.boardingarea.co...-foot-hammock/
I wouldn't count on that. Just because they sell it at the airport doesn't mean much. Every airline has their own rules and regulations.

My suggestion would be using a foot prop type pillow or your carry on. Not the best solution, but the least likely to get you in trouble.

You may also be able to upgrade at check-in.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ

You may also be able to upgrade at check-in.
Or if getting some sleep is really important for the OP, change the ticket and buy if not J at least premium economy.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Stranger
Or if getting some sleep is really important for the OP, change the ticket and buy if not J at least premium economy.
OP is not able to

Originally Posted by suffragettecitygirl
We're flying economy as we booked a tour and there was no option to upgrade
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Even if no option to upgrade was stated, it might be worth calling AC sales desk and seeing if they can "upsell" you to a higher class. It's been hit and miss in the past, but I've successfully had Tango fares paid up to Tango Plus to allow upgrades, so I'm sure you could do Tango/Basic up to Premium Economy. If the ticket was issued through a travel agent (sounds likely), then they may need the agent to release the ticket, but that again should be do-able if you ask the travel agent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.