Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Husband, 10 & 12 year old daughters kicked off flight and abandoned in Rome

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Husband, 10 & 12 year old daughters kicked off flight and abandoned in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Badenoch
He should have checked with his wife before joining and posting here. She might have warned him off a hysteria-laden rant and suggested he not use his real name and profession which could be use to easily identify him.
Wow...that was easy...
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Wow...that was easy...
At least his salons have decent ratings
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...655851813.html

AC is federally regulated workplace and if OP behaviour deemed to be workplace harassment well AC bound to act to protect FA.

Failure to do so means AC takes hit from union and domestic media for failing to protect employees, especially when SD unable to descalate requiring PIC engagement.

so in today's times, does AC prefer to take customer service media hit or hit for failure to protect employees from worksite abuse - no win either way
Diabeetus likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: IHG Gold
The OP has a long list of excuses. Most of us on FT have traveled with children and teens yet somehow managed to behave in proper manner and at the same time stow our luggage.
Silver Fox, muji, Badenoch and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: AC SEMM; AA,DL, Hyatt and Starwood. Ex-status:SQ PPS,CSA,Hilton,AA,UA
[Removed. Mods delete if you wish]
Diabeetus likes this.

Last edited by montrealer; Aug 2, 2018 at 10:18 am Reason: On second thought delete due to poster giving his real name
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Unless another FT who traveled on the same flight would challenge OP's version of events ..
OP did nothing wrong.
arf04 and MasterGeek like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Unless another FT who traveled on the same flight would challenge OP's version of events ..
OP did nothing wrong.
Perhaps, but not much right either.

PS-I wonder who he thinks he is writing here on FT.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of course most of us here know that one cannot expect FAs to lift bags especially in Y.

But alas when looking at airline marketing, this may not be so obvious to the occasional traveller. Especially if having a chip on their shoulder (whether that applies to the OP or not...)

In the larger scheme of things, yet another non-event. 10% discount coupon on base fare?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP did nothing wrong.
At the very least he was argumentative. The FA also was quite right that the daughter being unable to lift her bag was a safety concern. Just wait until someone's bag falls on your head, as it happened to a colleague of mine, who suffered from side effects for quite a while afterwards. That alone was already wrong.

You seriously think the captain would kick someone out who did nothing wrong?
muji likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:29 am

TLDR.

OP will never come back to this forum.
Stranger, Silver Fox, muji and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by Stranger
At the very least he was argumentative. The FA also was quite right that the daughter being unable to lift her bag was a safety concern. Just wait until someone's bag falls on your head, as it happened to a colleague of mine, who suffered from side effects for quite a while afterwards. That alone was already wrong.

You seriously think the captain would kick someone out who did nothing wrong?
​​​​​​Sure, why not?
​​​​​​Just because OP was argumentative does not means he did anything wrong. I also have very low respect for whoever that FA was when she was unwilling to help a kid to put up her luggage. How heavy could it be lol.

​​​​​​
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
This story makes my blood boil. Air Canada and its workers should learn to be less arrogant and more servile, because we the consumers pay their wages. Chargebacks, CBC and the social media influence is the way to get back at AC.

Two elements that arise from the story:
- Unions empowered lazy flight attendants to refuse to help with putting carry-on bags in overhead bins.
- Frequent flyers just worry about getting to work/meeting on time and don't care about mistreatment of fly-once-a-year-to-see-grandma fellow passenger.

Last edited by MasterGeek; Aug 2, 2018 at 10:49 am
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by skybluesea
Unfortunately, likely quite more to this account than what is evident.

and OP may have a presumption of what an AC FA can and should do, and demanding a FA to lift a bag overhead is NOT their responsibility - quite clear to all that you must be able to manage your baggage to the overhead yourself, and for children/disabled travelers well caregiver is accountable and for unaccompanied children that is what service fee partly covers, or what wheelchair attendant should do.

and in this case the FA was right, regardless of perception of rudeness. Whether a FA assists, which they routinely do, because of kindness via polite engagement that gets put into the over and above call of duty category, and we have a Thank You Thread for such good works by AC FAs.

And given OP aggressive nature of social media linked threats, strikes me AC will simply counter the PIC made a decision - and when it comes to operational safety he/she has the final say.
From AC/Rouge FA job description:

Primary flight attendant responsibilities include:
  1. Preparing the aircraft for customer boarding and ensuring a keen awareness of the service and safety plan for the flight
  2. Being well trained and prepared to share information with customers through one on one communications and general intercom announcements in a warm, friendly and professional manner
  3. Welcoming customers and engaging with them throughout the flight to create a comfortable, friendly environment
  4. Ensuring mandatory safety procedures are followed
  5. Liaising with the flight deck crew (pilots) to ensure a smooth and well operated flight with excellent customer communications
  6. Snack, meal, and beverage service and the sale of onboard products
  7. Operation of and assistance with the inflight entertainment system
  8. Assistingcustomers with a variety of needs including carry on baggage stowage, seating arrangements, general comfort
  9. Full preparedness to handle on board incidents and emergencies
  10. Full preparedness to handle a medical incident or emergency, including providing First Aid as required
  11. Ensuring the general orderliness of the aircraft
  12. Ensuring customer feedback is shared with management and taking an active role in helping management operate and evolve Air Canada rouge to provide the best possible customer experience.
  13. Completing and submitting required safety reports.
Seems like the customer had a need which wasn't met. Pretty clear it is a FA's job to assist a customer with baggage stowage.

Silver Fox, muji and MasterGeek like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

​​​​​​Sure, why not?
​​​​​​Just because OP was argumentative does not means he did anything wrong. I also have very low respect for whoever that FA was when she was unwilling to help a kid to put up her luggage. How heavy could it be lol.

​​​​​​
Rule is clear: one has to be ale to lift one's luggage. That alone was a safety issue.

As to refusing to apologize, that was downright silly. Didn't the guy see it coming?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Just wanted to highlight some snippets from OP's long post, in case some people skipped over it with all the emotional stuff and are talking about two sides to the story. Seems like other people also had opinions.

At that point, two other passengers stood up, called another flight attendant, and told him I did nothing wrong, that the first flight attendant was blowing everything completely out of proportion.
Again, more passengers came up to the captain and repeated that I did nothing wrong. The captain said that the paperwork was already happening and that I had to leave. I want to repeat, I was told that I needed to apologize to the first flight attendant for my behavior. I didn't raise my voice, I didn't call anyone a name, I didn't call her anything derogatory. I simply said that being a flight attendant is a job that requires customer service. I never even stood up - and for not apologizing my entire family (again, including a 10 year old and a 12 year old) were thrown off of a plane.
My girls want to point out that there were two very kind flight attendants who was crying (because both of my girls were sobbing at this point) and one gave them hugs. When I was leaving, the captain took me to the front of the plane, apologized, and said we will get you on the next flight to Toronto in 1 1/2 hours
Loren Pechtel, Silver Fox and muji like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.