Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Husband, 10 & 12 year old daughters kicked off flight and abandoned in Rome

Husband, 10 & 12 year old daughters kicked off flight and abandoned in Rome

Old Aug 4, 2018, 6:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Stranger
Assuming there are no ugly details the OP left out of his rant. Which is somewhat unlikely, given the sense of entitlement.
The entire point of my post was that if the OP was smart, he'd make sure to only provide information that favored his case (i.e. refrain from introducing any ideas that could possibly used against him, such as the shopping bags). Basically, if he had addressed the actual issues with a fine tooth comb --in BRIEF-- AC would be on the defensive. Instead, he gave their lawyers a boatload of bullets to work with.
skybluesea and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 6:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by YYC009
Original post said, in part: "I was behind them with my carry-on and my backpack and some shopping bags."

So if he had a carryon bag (#1) and a backpack (#2) then the shopping bags (#3/#4/etc.) are above the allowable carryon baggage allowance as it is one carryon and one personal article (total of two pieces). The OP admits to having more than two pieces.
Pointing this out in his letter was insanely stupid.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 6:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by arttravel
Now here is the problem part. The 12 year old recounts the following -- this is the gist of the daughter words of what happened:

And then the daughter says they were "bickering safety vs service"
And then she FA walked away.

Another FA comes and tell father why they were not allowed, in case they get injured ....
And then father says ' ok ok but I do not understand why they were not helping my daughter",
and then the FA says I need you to apologize, the original FA came, then they bicker, the FA leave, and Captain comes.
By his daughter's own admission her father was argumentative at least twice with the FAs. He could have simply put his kids' luggage into the overhead and the matter would have been resolved. Instead he had a hissy fit. He could have apologized when asked but got argumentative again.

At this point I am giving more of the benefit of the doubt to Air Canada. Not a good idea to tell the FA "I paid for a service" after FA said she could not lift the lugg

Social media INFLUENCER may include embellishment.
"INFLUENCER" is not an embellishment. It is an outright fabrication. It's a website for hairdressers. About only "influencing" it might do would be the selection of styling gel.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 8:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Originally Posted by Badenoch
By his daughter's own admission her father was argumentative at least twice with the FAs. He could have simply put his kids' luggage into the overhead and the matter would have been resolved. Instead he had a hissy fit. He could have apologized when asked but got argumentative again.

"INFLUENCER" is not an embellishment. It is an outright fabrication. It's a website for hairdressers. About only "influencing" it might do would be the selection of styling gel.
how dare you even hint that AC is not 150% at fault here 😊

please expect the hounds of hell to descend on you for pointing out the bloody obvious that OP is mistreating his children with this show of aggression in public and certainly seems evident against the AC crew that day.

Who believes this is a one-off behavioural event by OP ?

LeisureMiler and canopus27 like this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Oxnardjan
"I was behind them with my carry-on and my backpack and some shopping bags" according to the OP.

It looks as if AC is very generous with their baggage allowance how many is "some"? I doubt if the first time contributing OP will be back.
I'm wondering if op was beyond on board baggage allowance and that is what in reality set the whole ball of wax rolling without actually being addressed. FA may have felt that if op wanted to bring that much on board it was his problem.
muji likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: AP 1992- , AC SE1MM, NEXUS, GE, TD Visa Infinite Privilege, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by vbnet
I'm wondering if op was beyond on board baggage allowance and that is what in reality set the whole ball of wax rolling without actually being addressed. FA may have felt that if op wanted to bring that much on board it was his problem.
Lots has been said about the helpful nature of FAs and their role handling cabin luggage.

The specifics of this, if read carefully:
  • FA helped first kid of her own initiative because bag was already up but misaligned (a security issue, cuz the bin won't close, btw)
  • OP sees this and asks for help with second child's bag without first helping second child himself (the proverbial give them a hand, they'll take your arm with it)
What next? After OP's request for a service he doesn't need more than anybody else on the plane (he's quite fit from his salon owner / artistic director picture), neighbour sees this and asks for help with his bag and so on and so forth? Yes, one of the responsibility of FA might be helping with luggage. But the concept of "helping" is first help yourself. If you don't need help, if you can do it yourself, it's not asking for help, it's asking for the execution of an obligation. Important nuance here, because if it is an obligation, and not "help" in its true sense, well then my next flight might be a little delayed after the FAs have put 400+ cabin luggage and shopping bags in the overhead bins and under the seats everywhere

That's not how it works. FA's responsibility at that point is getting people on board and seated as fast as possible, and probably much more (you know as well as I do how many "valid" pax requests are made during the boarding period, whether it's switching seats, a glass of water to take some medication, access to the lavatory, "I can't find my seat", "that person is in my seat and won't move" or the most common, the bin is full where can I put my bag (as the space under the seat in front of pax is empty)), depending on her specific assignment in Y, before then securing cabin. That requires the collaboration of everybody on board, including everyone finding their seat, minding their own bags and children. Once in a while, someone needs help, and whether it's you, me or an FA, we've all graciously provided such help.

And why "Husband" exactly...? Why not "Father"?
Old Aug 4, 2018, 9:55 am

I feel badly for this guy, but I'm thinking he must've been really mouthy to illicit such a reaction - especially with kids.

I have a mouth on me, and I've learned a thing or two in my old age about 1) how to properly talk to people to get what i want; 2) how to de-escalate a situation i may have let get out of hand; 3) how to say sorry, even when it's wrong to say it - because i know it's only way to get out of a bad situation.

A.C. definitely failed in serving him to rebook his flight, as the pilot promised - so he should have no issues getting his money back.

while I don't agree with being rude to service staff, it is very disconcerting that FAs have the power to kick someone off a flight for anything besides a safety issue. Where should they draw the line?
Loren Pechtel and tinchote like this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by YYC009
Original post said, in part: "I was behind them with my carry-on and my backpack and some shopping bags."

So if he had a carryon bag (#1) and a backpack (#2) then the shopping bags (#3/#4/etc.) are above the allowable carryon baggage allowance as it is one carryon and one personal article (total of two pieces). The OP admits to having more than two pieces.
Conveniently you choose to forget about the kids : "My daughters walked on the plane in front of me with their carry-ons" And this sentence was in front of the one you present as evidence. Shame on you. Three passengers may have 6 pieces.
eefor jfp and tinchote like this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
I hope I never have a chance to sail with you if you employ "a FA equivalent to what was reported here". You seem to have a power trip mentality with "a skipper's ticket" and all that stuuuuuuff...
I don't think you understood my post.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: MileagePlus AAdvantage Mileage Plan
I thought FlyerTalk would have enlightened responses to "stuff" I witness on a weekly basis.
I was wrong.
The answers here are the same people I am not fond of when I travel.
Too much carry-on,
Too much entitlement.
I carry a laptop bag on flight(that's it! Worldwide!). Checked bag has clothes(if lost, I buy new ones).
I load laptop bag quickly in over head(if available, if not then under seat) and sit down in my seat.

Then I watch the "SHOW"
The food containers brought in, the families with all their luggage and shopping bags,
The "little old ladies with 60 lbs. bags of stuff they cant lift( oh would you be a dear and help me with this),
The "business travelers" with cups of hot coffee that spill and the need to get up repeatedly for stuff in their bags or talking on the phone and not paying attention to anything or anyone.
The fools who go up and down the aisles for God knows what while people are trying to board.
The idiots who think they are clever by putting their bags in the overhead bin in the front of the aircraft (or in business) while their seat is at the rear of the plane.
The youthful who have earphones and headphones dangling and catching on things
The entitled who think they should be able to move everyone else s luggage around in the overhead to suit their needs

I could go on.... but tired as I am of the"SHOW"........ I cannot imagine how Aircrew can endure the stupidity of travelers on a daily basis without blowing a gasket.[/RANT]
fin 645, pappypappy and seigex like this.

Last edited by ChrisHaynesUSA; Aug 4, 2018 at 11:38 am
Old Aug 4, 2018, 11:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Conveniently you choose to forget about the kids : "My daughters walked on the plane in front of me with their carry-ons" And this sentence was in front of the one you present as evidence. Shame on you. Three passengers may have 6 pieces.
unfortunately, your reasoning is more complex than what is offered by OP - only information is children had 1 bag each and father had 4, and thus we can infer the father had more than permitted based on what is known.

The logic of 2 bags each requires two further assumptions, and on principle of simplest reasoning first ( otherwise known as Occams Razor) cannot agree with your assessment.

Old Aug 4, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Anytime someone says the other person is crazy, but they were perfectly calm and collected in an argument, I tend to call BS. That said, something strange about this is that I refuse to believe no other passengers were around that would have assisted the child with lifting the bags in to the bin. I fly transcon twice a week, and I can count on one hand how many times there wasn't someone willing to help someone else with a bag either boarding or disembarking
skybluesea and muji like this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Eurobonus Gold
Everybody, OP:

I work as as purchasing manager at at a medium firm. Last week a person asked me if I could hold the door for him as he removed a chair from the workplace.
Obviously according to FT I should have told him to stuff it as it is not in my job description. Needless to say: I helped him and survived!

I just have one comment to this case as I have a degree in contact law, if AC and all other airlines advertise with their 'magnificent staff', helpfulness, service levels or similar than clearly the cabin crew are not only there for safety. I know that it is said their job is safety related, not service, but is it really? Then airlines should stop advertising and start hiring marshals without any service.

Of course there is two sides to this story and the OP could have been more nasty to staff than in his post. Things happen and gets heated. It is a bit childish, but also understandable.

The cabin crew should have helped or at least handled the situation better. The treatment after the incident is also sub par.
MSPeconomist and tinchote like this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 1:18 pm

Seriously?

deleted.

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
My friend who is 6 months pregnant just experienced today a similar case of an AC FA refuse to help with the carry-on bag.
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
It sounds like there is currently an active campaign by the union against helping customers with their carry-on bags.

People who work in delivery by truck (movers, furniture delivery,..), taxi and shuttle drivers carry heavy stuff all the time and it's an accepted part/risk of their job, and they are paid for it. Why can't helping paying passengers with their carry-on be part of a flight attendant's job ? Because they have a union that helps them get paid to do less ? If they don't like that part, they should look for an office job.

Last edited by Oxnardjan; Aug 4, 2018 at 1:29 pm
Old Aug 4, 2018, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Evidence might be useful

https://flightsafety.org/asw-article...ere-done-that/

and when FA gets injured sufficiently to deboard, and flight delay likely to occur, airline should just ignore that reality.

and good luck with lawsuit against AirCanada that flight attendants have a legal duty to pick up your bag and stick it in the bin for you

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.