Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Flying at a slower speed as of October 28?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Hello Everyone - long time reader, finally joined in order to post this question. I just booked flight AC305 YUL-YVR on October 28, and was astonished to see a flight time of nearly 6 hours (5:58): I fly this route regularly and it is always 5:30. I looked at the previous day, Oct 27, and it was only 5:30 - same flight, same equipment (737 Max). Upon further investigation I found that ALL flights were slower as of Oct 28 (i.e. every date after Oct 28), including YYZ to YVR.

I called AC and spoke with two different agents, neither of whom knew anything about it. I have written to Customer Relations but as yet have had no response.

Has AC decided to fly slower in order to conserve fuel, and simply hopes that no one will notice? A half-hour extra flight time is definitely noticeable, and is unacceptable.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Well, it *IS* Canada, so late Oct is right around the 6+ months of Winter weather and possible de-icing time needed.

If AC plans schedules, say, 60 days at a time it may be easier to just pad the schedules .

/not AC specific but I seem to recall on other forums that most flights (without propellers) file flight plans based on Mach .78 to Mach .82 cruise speed.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:27 am

i suspect their scheduling dept is padding the travel time in anticipation or response something (i.e. weather, construction, ATC restrictions, congestion or to make OTP look better)
KDS777 likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Sounds like they are padding the block time to be more realistic for winter operations. There have been complaints on this board that AC is a bit too optimistic on how much time to allot for flights. Nothing to do with the speed, but with how long the ground operations (taxi, deice, lineup) will take.
RangerNS and Seat13F_AC_CRJ like this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
Winter schedule takes effect Sunday, October 28, 2018, so as others suspected, scheduled block times in the winter are longer due to longer taxi times to account for deicing.
Seat13F_AC_CRJ likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by YVR_Mark
Has AC decided to fly slower in order to conserve fuel, and simply hopes that no one will notice? A half-hour extra flight time is definitely noticeable, and is unacceptable.
No, definitely not.

Originally Posted by YYC009
Winter schedule takes effect Sunday, October 28, 2018, so as others suspected, scheduled block times in the winter are longer due to longer taxi times to account for deicing.

Right. But also westerly winds at flight levels tend to be (on average) more intense during winter. Look at the flight times for opposite direction flights (YVR-YUL). The schedule shows a reduction in flight time effective October 28.
eracerblue and pilot007 like this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:58 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by global happy traveller
i suspect their scheduling dept is padding the travel time in anticipation or response something (i.e. weather, construction, ATC restrictions, congestion or to make OTP look better)
OTP won't just "look" better. OTP will be better.

Air Canada is to be commended for taking steps to make published flight times more closely reflect real world experiences.

(Yes I know it's a regular seasonal thing.)
jc94 likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, Everyone, for such quick replies to my first post. I must humbly confess that as a Vancouverite, the notion of winter (i.e. snow) had not occurred to me!
757FO likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by YVR_Mark
Thank you, Everyone, for such quick replies to my first post. I must humbly confess that as a Vancouverite, the notion of winter (i.e. snow) had not occurred to me!
Welcome to FT!
Old Aug 1, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Maybe they are also accounting for construction schedule at YVR but as others have stated more likely winter schedule.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: TK *G
I am sure flights won't arrive 30 minutes late all of the sudden when they change the schedule, but this may make a huge difference for people trying to make a short connection. Many feasible short connections are now non-bookable. It must be extremely frustrating when you standing right at the gate for a flight you have enough time to board, but have to wait for a couple hours for the next flight due to MCT rules.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
Welcome to FT!
Welcome, indeed!
Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by After Burner
No, definitely not.
You know for a fact it's not part of the recently announced plan to mitigate the fuel price increase?

Or a combination of that and improved OTP?

Surely most passengers would rather live wth that than with a fare raise... More price-sensitive than time-sensitive. Plus, 99% won't even notice.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 3:57 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Winds from the west are higher in the winter months, too.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Some airlines mandate the crews to fly at max efficiency, which is a slower cruise mach. Exceptions being strong head wind component, delays that require higher speed etc. But I think the general consensus is that a lower cruise WILL save fuel. Other fuel savings measures are would be an idle decent so with again a lower speed, thus the engines are at idle thrust for as long as possible. Usually these come into force when jet fuel prices begin to climb. It could amount to a :30 minute longer flight on a transcontinental, but on the short hops doesn't effect the times too much. They will factor that into the new sked if these policies will be SOP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.