AC Food mini complaint

Old Jul 30, 2018, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: ANA Diamond, UA 1K, AA EXP, Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
AC Food mini complaint

Hi all

Apologies for my mini complaint. While I'm a United 1K, I spend a lot of time on AC J. I've just had a particularly intense two weeks with 2 trans-pacifics, 2 trans-atlantics and 3 domestic flights.

It seems like on each of them was the Parsley Omlette with chicken sausage. Each domestic flight, yep, and same again on the longhauls. After 20 parsley omlette opportunities this year, I vote to kill her off. Or at least rotate an option in and out...

While I'm on a roll... has anyone had the Japanese meal on AC? Served in soup bowls with sake in a plastic cup. Pretty horid lol.

Overall though I do prefer AC J to most, in case you can't tell.

Discuss
Old Jul 30, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Why not have the pancakes instead?? I have been flying on AC for >20 years and remain a fan of the omelet. When they used to serve the omelet on Rapidair YOW-YYZ (They dont anymore), i would sometimes get two in a morning ....and I still like it after all these years.

On the Japanese meal, I am not sure would would ever have that meal for a flight originating in Canada, but I guess people do. I only ever get that meal ex-NRT or ex-HND. It is usually outstanding. I have never had sake in a plastic cup- that must be an anomaly. It is usually served in a small ceramic bottle and poured into a small ceramic cup.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
IMO, the omelette is the best dish they've had and I look forward to it every time and even purchase it if I'm in Y when I can. Keep the omelette!
canadiancow, Jazzed91 and WR Cage like this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: DL Silver, AC E75K, Chatime Elite
I always take the congee for the arrival meal, or if arriving into TPE or HKG, I skip it altogether so that I can focus on the street food.

I do agree with the lack of breakfast offerings; I've only really flown between 50k-100k/year over the past 5 years, but it seems the omelette has been around forever. Not sure about the pancakes. The healthy fruit option is only marginally better, but the citrus component is often bitter to me.

Perhaps this discussion belongs in the meal thread?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
I used to love the omelette. So did the Mrs.

Now we dread the omelette. Too many of the exact same omelette.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by TTC192Rocket
I always take the congee for the arrival meal, or if arriving into TPE or HKG, I skip it altogether so that I can focus on the street food.

I do agree with the lack of breakfast offerings; I've only really flown between 50k-100k/year over the past 5 years, but it seems the omelette has been around forever. Not sure about the pancakes. The healthy fruit option is only marginally better, but the citrus component is often bitter to me.

Perhaps this discussion belongs in the meal thread?
The fruit option has been growing on me over time.

The pancakes are obnoxiously sweet.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
I agree that if one flies in J frequently the omelettes can become repetitive - hence the fruit plate makes a refreshing change of pace.

the Japanese meal (in either direction but especially from Japan) is my favourite AC meal.
Diabeetus and karachi like this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Plumber
Why not have the pancakes instead??
The pancakes are generally only offered on PLH routes. I think I've seen them ONCE on a non-PLH flight, and that was rouge SFO-YVR.
StuckInYYZ likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:23 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
I used to love the omelette. So did the Mrs.

Now we dread the omelette. Too many of the exact same omelette.
Not just this but the omelettes of late are TERRIBLY runny and soggy.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
I had not noticed!
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
The pancakes are generally only offered on PLH routes. I think I've seen them ONCE on a non-PLH flight, and that was rouge SFO-YVR.
You are right....But there is always an alternative to the omelet.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
That has certainly not been my experience.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: TK *G
Let's try to think about some ideas, what do you think AC can/should offer instead?

On international routes, they can offer some local dishes. The brunch items on TPAC flights are usually good enough. For TATL to Western Europe this is challenging though.

On NA flights, perhaps they can rotate between omelette and scrambled eggs, pancakes and waffles?

Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by canadiancow
That has certainly not been my experience.
I concur. I appreciate this is primarily directed at J but let's not miss out this PY menu which I took a photo of on a TATL mainline.
I mean there is still a choice, one can go hungry.

Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by jc94
I concur. I appreciate this is primarily directed at J but let's not miss out this PY menu which I took a photo of on a TATL mainline.
I mean there is still a choice, one can go hungry.

Is this from AC868 the day tripper flight to LHR? The omelette is similar to NA J quality or Y quality?

Reminds me of the old AC126/128/156/162 with the choice of English omelette and French omelette.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.