Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada to offset impact of higher fuel costs by raising fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada to offset impact of higher fuel costs by raising fares

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Bartolo
Fares: tracking pricing on transborder flights for fall/winter. Varying in silly ways. First up a few hundred each way. I get that. Harder to understand when no seats sold in cabin (J). Over the weekend up $10/sector. Yesterday down $2. Today down $10 (on top of the $2). Trend is good.

Has anyone else noticed this? Seems like game playing. Maybe just routes I’m interested in.
That's because fares are only loosely coupled with costs. Fares are determined by "how much can we get away with charging for this flight without driving customers away?" If there is competition on the route then they won't be able to get away with charging as much. As fuel prices rise, AC will only increase fares if they think the market can take it, and if their competition doesn't undercut them.

Now that AC needs to advertise prices after all taxes and fees, a fuel/carrier surcharge only has two purposes - to extract extra money from rewards tickets (Aeroplan/Air Miles/whatever) and to make base fare coupons less costly. Increasing the surcharge on revenue tickets will either just be an overall price increase, or if there is too much competition it will be accompanied by a drop in the base fare.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by smallmj
That's because fares are only loosely coupled with costs. Fares are determined by "how much can we get away with charging for this flight without driving customers away?" If there is competition on the route then they won't be able to get away with charging as much. As fuel prices rise, AC will only increase fares if they think the market can take it, and if their competition doesn't undercut them.

Now that AC needs to advertise prices after all taxes and fees, a fuel/carrier surcharge only has two purposes - to extract extra money from rewards tickets (Aeroplan/Air Miles/whatever) and to make base fare coupons less costly. Increasing the surcharge on revenue tickets will either just be an overall price increase, or if there is too much competition it will be accompanied by a drop in the base fare.
Agree with your points (above). I just find it odd and silly that fares are $10 up one day, $5 down the next. And $2? A joke - initially thought I read the screen wrong.

These amounts will make no difference to 99.9% of people booking.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
I think it was Warren Buffett who advised if you do a lot of business with a business, invest in that business.

Suppose Delta Airlines learned that lesson early.
https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/...pay-off-a.aspx

and I follow this advice too, and since +30% of airline costs are jet fuel, I’m heavily invested in those who make jet fuel.

I can say looking this morning at my holding positions, I smile when I saw this thread title which confirms my growing capital balance.

Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by smallmj

I heard that airlines incl AC only pay TA commissions on base price, not on surcharges, fees and taxes. So this is another reason why all these things are broken out and not incl in base fare.
tcook052 and smallmj like this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:56 pm

Thank goodness they are raising fares and not fuel/carrier surcharges! No doubt this is a welcome announcement for Aeroplan members

-James
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Maybe we should rename this thread: AC to indulge in corporate charity and not raise prices despite higher costs. Because we all know a lot of businesses that do that. Right? Oh wait a minute... Snap. No we don't. Lessee, we aren't talking about the Taxi industry right? You know that over-regulated disaster that has been trounced by Uber and Lyft in any city where they hadn't bought city council lock stock and barrel? Seriously, aside from some mildly successful humor this as to be one of the dumbest threads ever on this forum. Of course they are going to raise their prices if their costs increase. So would any other business. Maybe we should have another thread on how the sun will rise in the east and set in the west? As long as we blame AE or AC for this mind numbiing repitition (billions of years now) it will at least be on topic.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:28 pm
Suspended

Price elasticity of demand remains relevant although often forgotten

in a a truly competitive market, raising prices is last resort NOT the first.

and AC can be far more efficient, we all know that.

And this Forum has plenty of room for views folks disagree with - doesn’t mean they are dumb views, but of course that is just another view that some will disagree with too.

Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:36 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ridefar
Maybe we should rename this thread: AC to indulge in corporate charity and not raise prices despite higher costs. Because we all know a lot of businesses that do that. Right? Oh wait a minute... Snap. No we don't. Lessee, we aren't talking about the Taxi industry right? You know that over-regulated disaster that has been trounced by Uber and Lyft in any city where they hadn't bought city council lock stock and barrel? Seriously, aside from some mildly successful humor this as to be one of the dumbest threads ever on this forum. Of course they are going to raise their prices if their costs increase. So would any other business. Maybe we should have another thread on how the sun will rise in the east and set in the west? As long as we blame AE or AC for this mind numbiing repitition (billions of years now) it will at least be on topic.
Most of the discussion is not whether they will raise price. Its about what options are available and how they would execute - cut costs, raise base price, add another surcharge, etc. As @skybluesea said.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:13 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by vernonc
Most of the discussion is not whether they will raise price. Its about what options are available and how they would execute - cut costs, raise base price, add another surcharge, etc. As @skybluesea said.
Maybe most of the on topic (and even there you have to play loose with the definition) is that.

But in fact “most” of the discussion is either off topic or poor humor.

To the extent we mostly apply logic the thread topic is both self evident and a near tautology.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:36 am
Original Member

I guess it's be nice to AC week at least for me.

Raising prices to cover increased unavoidable expense is a reasonable thing to so. It is probably also the most honest.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
I was looking at TPE-YYZ in Y+, booked July 31st at $1700 USD, went up to $2000 Aug 1st. This is for traveling right before Xmas.

Hint: When AC advertised sales ending July 31st, I know fares would be up, if not way up coming Aug even if your tickets aren't on sale.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 4:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by vernonc
Most of the discussion is not whether they will raise price. Its about what options are available and how they would execute - cut costs, raise base price, add another surcharge, etc.
Exactly, AC chooses to fly, or at least thrusts on ROGUE to fly ancient 767s, consequently exposes itself to higher fuel burn per seat mile, and let’s not forget bigger environmental impact too.

Airlines routinely do the math, and use the cash savings to finance replacing old airplanes with new that can quickly pay off in terms of less fuel burn, especially when coming off low base oil prices as we have just seen.

And if AC decides to charge more, well good luck to them as this just makes more room for s competitive response.

Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/cana...rvey-1.4090680

TORONTO - An RBC survey says airfares rose by more than 10 per cent in the first two months of the third quarter as Air Canada and WestJet passed along higher crude oil prices.

Despite slipping a bit in August, fares rose 12.5 per cent at Air Canada for July and August and were 11.3 per cent higher than a year earlier at WestJet.

The country's two largest airlines implemented fare increases in July, mostly on domestic routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.