Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Likely to make 2.5 transfer on IST/YYZ/YUL in YYZ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Gold

I'll have a 2.5 hour transfer in YYZ with TK and transferred to a codeshare AC flight to YUL - Since I will be arriving as student status, I have to sort out with the student visa and the custom. TK17 seems to have quite half an hour average delay arrival. Will I likely to make the transfer?
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
2.5 hours is normally ample time to make that connection, so I guess it will come down to how long you spend getting your visa sorted. There are lots of flights to YUL, so depending on your ticket you might be able to standby for a later flight or do a same day change. Be sure to do that before you miss your connection.
tobiashenry likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: TK *G
My parents were on TK17 2 month ago. They cleared immigration and claimed checked bags (they were in J and priority bags somehow worked on that day) 40 minutes after touch down, or 25 minutes after docking at the gate. I am not sure how long it takes to get visa/study permit sorted out, as it mostly depends on the line up on that day. and immigration offices handles visa/permit on a case by case basis. It can take as little as 5 minutes, or as much as a couple hours for complicated cases. But as @Academic suggested, don't worry about it, there are plenty of flights to YUL. If TK17 is late, just talk to an AC staff and ask for help, you will be rebooked on the next available flight.

On another note, TK also flies IST-YUL direct. If possible try switching to that one. Depends on the fare you purchased, it may be free on the day of departure, or may be as early as now.
vernonc and tobiashenry like this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
My work permit added about 45 mins I think. But the guy didn’t get past the first few pages and the longest part was waiting for them to find a credit card machine for me to pay.

My residency at a land crossing was 1.5-2h. At neither point was either “busy”. But as comparison I intentionally did not attempt to get my PR on landing on YOW on a 1.5h connection to YYZ. I cleared on my work permit only and did the landing later though this massively confused (and possibly upset) customs.

I would pay a reasonable to change to the direct flight if possible but otherwise there are extra flights as mentioned unless you land late in the day ... If you land late you could always ask if it’s possible to somehow do the visa later and enter YYZ as a tourist? I mean a student visa still requires an entry visa of eTA. Just not sure how viable this is.
tobiashenry likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
I arrived on TK 17 in February and can also confirm that immigration and customs was fast.
You should be fine.
When leaving baggage hall in YYZ and having handed over your customs form, make sure you veer left for connections.
tobiashenry likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: AC SEMM; AA,DL, Hyatt and Starwood. Ex-status:SQ PPS,CSA,Hilton,AA,UA
Tobias, welcome as a student.

Not clear exactly when you're travelling, but today at least there are 3 more Air Canada flights after 8:30pm YYZ to YUL, the last one leaving at 12:30am. This is pretty typical for that route.
If you miss your connection for any reason, including immigration, Air Canada will generally put you on the next available flight without any issue or penalty -- provided it is a connection on the same ticket (as seems to be the case for you), not a separate ticket.

My (former) employer regularly sends people from the US, Europe, and India to Canada for projects. They as well as my spouse's university strongly don't recommend entering Canada as a tourist and trying to "regularize" your status to another type of entry later. It can be frowned on quite strongly. While you can also end up with a friendly immigration person, you may also not. (Some of it may also depend on what country you are coming from). I have personally heard of an instance of someone being strongly cautioned to never do anything like that again, with the threat of having their (in this case employment, not student) visa cancelled, and obliged to exit the country and re-enter it. While this colleague of mine enjoyed his required visit to both sides of Niagara Falls, it was not the timing he would have preferred....
[I don't know the details of exactly how this was ensured, but it was.]
tobiashenry likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by montrealer
Tobias, welcome as a student.

Not clear exactly when you're travelling, but today at least there are 3 more Air Canada flights after 8:30pm YYZ to YUL, the last one leaving at 12:30am. This is pretty typical for that route.
If you miss your connection for any reason, including immigration, Air Canada will generally put you on the next available flight without any issue or penalty -- provided it is a connection on the same ticket (as seems to be the case for you), not a separate ticket.

My (former) employer regularly sends people from the US, Europe, and India to Canada for projects. They as well as my spouse's university strongly don't recommend entering Canada as a tourist and trying to "regularize" your status to another type of entry later. It can be frowned on quite strongly. While you can also end up with a friendly immigration person, you may also not. (Some of it may also depend on what country you are coming from). I have personally heard of an instance of someone being strongly cautioned to never do anything like that again, with the threat of having their (in this case employment, not student) visa cancelled, and obliged to exit the country and re-enter it. While this colleague of mine enjoyed his required visit to both sides of Niagara Falls, it was not the timing he would have preferred....
[I don't know the details of exactly how this was ensured, but it was.]
Why not just welcome to Canada Tobias? Why did you have to indicate: student?

No one cares about your former employer, spouses university etc... stop trying to make a case about someone who asked for some advice about a connection.

You are really reaching by presuming the OP is entering Canada on a student visa only to change the status to another type of entry.
tobiashenry likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by imverge

No one cares about your former employer, spouses university etc... stop trying to make a case about someone who asked for some advice about a connection.

You are really reaching by presuming the OP is entering Canada on a student visa only to change the status to another type of entry.
To be fair I think he was reacting to my suggestion to ask if he could enter as a tourist and change it. I did mention this confused customs for me however. So in hindsight probably best to just do it at YYZ and take a later flight if needed.

Welcome to Canada OP. Having a backup plan likely means you won’t need it.Plus TKs OTP is better than ACs.
tobiashenry likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by imverge

@imverge, seems you read some hidden secret message where none was intended. I was not "making a case", only welcoming someone to Canada pure and simple, just like I appreciated being welcomed to the U.S. when I went there as a student from Canada years ago.
(It was pretty clear from OP's message that he was coming to Canada to study, and that he was considering entering as a tourist to avoid delays - something I pointed out is a bad idea. Based on his posting, I thought it not unlikely he had already been to Canada before as a tourist or other visitor, so I welcomed him in his new status, that of student. Not sure where wires got crossed to your assumption that I thought he wanted to enter on a student visa and then do something else, but oh well.)
Old Jul 29, 2018, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by montrealer
@imverge, seems you read some hidden secret message where none was intended. I was not "making a case", only welcoming someone to Canada pure and simple, just like I appreciated being welcomed to the U.S. when I went there as a student from Canada years ago.
(It was pretty clear from OP's message that he was coming to Canada to study, and that he was considering entering as a tourist to avoid delays - something I pointed out is a bad idea. Based on his posting, I thought it not unlikely he had already been to Canada before as a tourist or other visitor, so I welcomed him in his new status, that of student. Not sure where wires got crossed to your assumption that I thought he wanted to enter on a student visa and then do something else, but oh well.)
@montrealer

This was the OP's original and only post -

"I'll have a 2.5 hour transfer in YYZ with TK and transferred to a codeshare AC flight to YUL - Since I will be arriving as student status, I have to sort out with the student visa and the custom. TK17 seems to have quite half an hour average delay arrival. Will I likely to make the transfer?"

Where does he/she mention anything about considering entering as a tourist? Clearly you are the one who read some hidden secret message.

And welcoming someone "pure & simple" would be - just "welcome" not "welcome as a student" or "welcome as a tourist"

Last edited by imverge; Jul 29, 2018 at 4:12 pm
Old Jul 29, 2018, 6:33 pm

@imverge. You are right, it was jc94 suggesting the option of entering as a tourist and sorting out a switch later. Regardless, since it seems still unclear, rest assured that I meant nothing special by adding "...as a student" to my welcome other than recognition that this is what OP is here for, and I'm still rather puzzled why this has provoked such a reaction!

Tobias, I'm still not sure why my miscommunication with imverge bubbled up, but I hope your entry goes smoothly and your studies here go well.
imverge likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.