Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Claiming EU261 Compensation from AC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2022, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyingcrooked
AC Delayed/Cancelled Flight Compensation Threads

There are several threads on compensation for delayed/cancelled flights operated by AC.

If your question is about claiming compensation under EU or UK rules (a.k.a. EU261, EC261 or 'UK261'), this is the correct thread.

For information on which regime(s) you're eligible for compensation under, or which would be more favourable, please see: Air Canada Compensation For Delayed/Cancelled Flights

For information regarding APPR (Canadian regulations), please see: Claiming compensation from AC under APPR (Air Passenger Protection Regulations)

EU/UK 261:

- EU261 legislation predates Brexit, but post-Brexit the UK has retained the substance of the law; the UK version is informally known as UK261

- flights must be operated by an EU/UK carrier, or be departing the EU/UK (so any LH flight, anywhere, counts, but an AC flight counts only when departing the UK/EU)

- for claims under UK261, if you get nowhere with Air Canada you can file with AviationADR, an alternative dispute resolution service, this is relatively easy and there is no charge

- although EU Court rulings on the interpretation of EU261 are not binding on the interpretation of UK261, they are typically/often followed. For complicated or nuanced situations, the BA thread on EU261/UK261 is the most authoritative on flyertalk for EU/UK 261 issues.

Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Claiming EU261 Compensation from AC

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: AC E50K (MM) FB (Platinum)
[QUOTE=cperciva;30185741]Interesting! I didn't get the offer of a voucher... but they didn't cancel my 15% discount code either. Maybe because my 15% discount code was an apology for my missed connection rather than for the flight delay?

Have you tried to use the code yet? Maybe it has been cancelled...
Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Many carriers will offer a voucher for a greater amount than the cash compensation. At a rough exchange rate, AC is offering an approximately 42% premium if you take the voucher.

The question is whether there are any adverse restrictions on the voucher. If none that impact you, one must consider the hit to AP and the reduction in value by your marginal tax rate. It still might be a good deal.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 12:45 am

Programs: AC:50K
Originally Posted by Stanbury
Have you tried to use the code yet? Maybe it has been cancelled...
I haven't used it, but I tried entering it when I searched for flights and it showed as valid at that point. So I assume it would be valid for actually making a booking.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:36 pm

Just a quick update. Claim submitted Sept 6, 3 days ago, and an e-mail just received confirming that EUR 600 is due and will be paid by bank draft. So an extremely prompt response! The alternative offer is a voucher for $CDN 1300. Hm. Since we book BIZ TATL tickets several times a year, the voucher is not entirely out of the question. We are thinking it over. The issues we are thinking about are the loss of AQD and a possible reduction in business tax reduction if she takes the voucher. Have we forgotten anything?

The email specifically said that any other goodwill gesture was automatically cancelled -- which I guess is reasonable and only to be expected.

Thanks to all who provided advice on this -- especially to rankourabu for the draft letter.

So, just to bring closure to this. We responded to CC on Saturday September 15 indicating that we preferred the EUR 600. A cheque for $CDN 920 arrived today, Wednesday September 19. I don't think one could possibly expect more prompt, positive responses than we experienced. Though Ms Stanbury claims she would still have preferred her flight to have been prompt!
Old Sep 19, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
So, just to bring closure to this. We responded to CC on Saturday September 15 indicating that we preferred the EUR 600. A cheque for $CDN 920 arrived today, Wednesday September 19. I don't think one could possibly expect more prompt, positive responses than we experienced. Though Ms Stanbury claims she would still have preferred her flight to have been prompt!
I dunno, 5 hours for $920? Not too bad
Old Sep 19, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by jc94

I dunno, 5 hours for $920? Not too bad
Unless she's a consultant billing at $350/hr...
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Unless she's a consultant billing at $350/hr...

Actually a musician who would dream of getting $184/hr! But 5 hours of music teaching isn't the same as 5 hours waiting at the gate in AMS -- unable even to go back to the lounge as they were enjoined to "wait in the gate area as we may board at any time..."
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:47 pm

Actually a musician who would dream of getting $184/hr! But 5 hours of music teaching isn't the same as 5 hours waiting at the gate in AMS -- unable even to go back to the lounge as they were enjoined to "wait in the gate area as we may board at any time..."
Definitely an area AC could easily improve upon. We may board at any time is, in many cases, BS. I mean it’s not like AC has 100 planes at AMS.

And of course there are the times when a 5h delay is really inconvenient over and above $920.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Sorry to hijack this thread. I just did not want to open a new thread for my question and it is somewhat related: What timeframe would you consider "normal" in order to get a response from AC customer service with regards to EU261 compensation requests?

I requested compensation for a delayed flight. I've taken the flight on April 1, and I know that my letter asking for compensation was delivered to the AC Customer Service Center in Calgary on April 8 according to Canada Post. So far I have not heard anything. Time to get in touch again?
Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by totti
Sorry to hijack this thread. I just did not want to open a new thread for my question and it is somewhat related: What timeframe would you consider "normal" in order to get a response from AC customer service with regards to EU261 compensation requests?

I requested compensation for a delayed flight. I've taken the flight on April 1, and I know that my letter asking for compensation was delivered to the AC Customer Service Center in Calgary on April 8 according to Canada Post. So far I have not heard anything. Time to get in touch again?
AC Customer Relations is notoriously slow. It's not uncommon to wait up to a month...I also suspect that since you mailed them, they might mail you back instead of email.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
AC Customer Relations is notoriously slow. It's not uncommon to wait up to a month...I also suspect that since you mailed them, they might mail you back instead of email.
Thanks for the quick reply. So I will wait a little longer. I would have preferred to email AC but from these documents I got the impression that I am supposed to snail mail them.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by totti
Thanks for the quick reply. So I will wait a little longer. I would have preferred to email AC but from these documents I got the impression that I am supposed to snail mail them.
AC would prefer you didn't contact them at all I've been directly involved with two (non AC) EC261 claims and in both cases just emailed customer relations via the online forms.
Both were 'resolved' in about 6 weeks, though one airline took another 4-6 weeks to actually make the transfer.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by jc94
AC would prefer you didn't contact them at all I've been directly involved with two (non AC) EC261 claims and in both cases just emailed customer relations via the online forms.
Both were 'resolved' in about 6 weeks, though one airline took another 4-6 weeks to actually make the transfer.
My experience with AC customer relations has been pretty good so far but that's likely because of status. 4 weeks is a reasonable response time IMHO as long as things get sorted. By now I had more than 10 non-AC EC261 case none of which was resolved within 4 weeks. I had 4 cases with IB all of which ended in court where IB then did not even show up and lost. I usually use flightright.com to take care of things but first wanted to give it a try myself. I'll wait and see.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
In case you need/want it...here are the delay details:

AC0873/22JUL EQU ACA77WC01
CTY TML ARR DEP GRND AIR CABINS J O Y
FRA - 0920 - 08.15
YYZ 1135 TOTAL TIME FRAYYZ 8.15
RMKS/DELAYED ACCOUNT MTCE ENG A/I FAULT ON FIN 739...MTCE HAVE
SOURCED VALVE LOCALLY...ANTICIPATE 2 HRS DELAY...PAX LOAD 39/22
/362

FRA 1251 03:31L YYZ 1517 03:42L 77W MTF AD AA
DEP TML 1 GATE --/B48
ARR TML T1 GATE --/-----
Hi, very interesting information....I could use some advice regarding a potential claim. Six family members were on mileage award ticket flights with four different PNR's. All of the reservations were made by me using my United Mileage. Flights were on Friday, July 12, from Bordeaux (BOD)-YUL-BOS. On arrival in YUL, their connecting flight AC7554 on to BOS had been cancelled. AC rebooked them on AC2076 to BOS. AC2076 was delayed leaving YUL and they arrived in BOS at 9:35pm, over 4 hours after their originally scheduled arrival time of 5:17pm.

1. I assume that they are basically eligible for compensation based on the final destination on their ticket, BOS, not on their timely arrival BOD-YUL. Is that correct?

2. We don't know for sure the cause of the cancellation of 7554 and delay of 2076. We suspect 7554 was cancelled due to an extremely light load but don't know for sure. We also assume that 2076 was delayed because of catering and mechanical issues. How can we determine the "official" cause of the cancellation and delay and obtain flight details like shown above?

3. Assuming there are grounds for compensation, can I submit a claim for all the parties? or would they have to claim individually.

4. If I submit claim, can I do it for all four PNR's or do I need to submit separate claims.

5. Where and how should the claim be sent? Mail? email?

6. Is there a specific form to file claim, or just an explanation?

Thanks, much appreciate any guidance
Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If the flight out of Europe was on time, you have no grounds for an EC261 claim.

And airlines don't cancel flights due to light loads. Why would you suspect that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.