Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Crazy delays and IRROPs on AC - What to ask for compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2018, 8:54 am
Original Poster

First time flying business on AC which turned out to be an adventurous one.

Booked on a straightforward routing from YYC-YYZ-BOM on all AC metal Business Class P. (*No status with the airline)

Initial flight delayed forcing to miss the connecting flight to BOM. Was rerouted on YYZ-YOW-EWR-BOM, but the flight to YOW was diverted to YUL due to bad weather conditions. Then I was sent back from YUL to YYZ for the night, where I was given a city hotel which I rejected. I stayed back in the airport and flew the next morning from YYZ-ZRH-BOM. Reached my destination finally after so many flights and more than 24 hours after scheduled arrival.

Exhausted all my clothes for work by the time I arrived BOM. It wasn't surprising that I didn't get any of my bags, so I was offered $200 compensation for immediate use to buy essentials.

I am seeking help from fellow FTer's and loyal AC flyers as to what I am eligible to receive as compensation?

Thanks
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:17 am

Can you expand on why your YYC-YYZ flight was delayed?

Did you have an opportunity to re-route at YYC?

At YYZ, were you looked after by the Concierge team? If not, were you refused service by the Concierge team?

Why did you decide to accept a YYZ-YOW-EWR routing when there are plenty of YYZ-EWR direct non-stop flights?

You will probably get a discount code if you write to customer relations.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Of course, to be cheeky:

https://www.staralliance.com/en/connection-service

I feel for the OP though, that sounds like quite the adventure.

Upon arrival in YYZ I would have headed to the Concierge office immediately...
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:10 am
Original Poster

@Clipper
Delay was due to traffic congestion at YYC. I was on board the aircraft, waiting for take-off.

I didn't know I could go to the concierge team as it was my first time flying business on AC. I was helped by the staff on arrival. I wanted to reach BOM at the earliest, so the agent put me on the crazy route as other direct options were supposedly full.

What kind of a discount code can I expect? Is it possible that a part of the price would be refunded as cash for the inconvenience caused.
@PointWeasel
Probably it was one of the connection service team who helped on arrival.

Next time if I get to fly business on AC I will try to get in touch with the Concierge team immediately.

Thank you!
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Strictly speaking nothing is due according to tariffs. Anything you get would be goodwill.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Accor Diamond
If the delays were all air traffic control and/or weather (AC has usually no control over these), they already provided more than what is expected with a hotel voucher.

Goodwill discount codes are between 5 and 25% and applicable only on the base fare. Not sure if they will provide you with one but if they do, I would bet on 15% (most common). Do not expect a refund, it won't happen.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: *$ Green
Honestly, considering weather and the fact you had a bag, why not wait for next day's flight? Maybe do DEL connection instead.

I know many people panic during IRROPS, but taking a double connection with a TB stop is not a very good idea in fact, it can be worse.

Airline agents do not "pay" or have any incentives to not put you on a flight. If they say it's full, it's very likely full. And if there's an inventory sync problem, be ready to spend an hour to try to get it resolved, which might not be time you or the agent has to spare.

Regardless, just write in and see what they offer. They'll likely offer a discount on future flights, but I doubt they'll give you a refund.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Honestly, considering weather and the fact you had a bag, why not wait for next day's flight? Maybe do DEL connection instead.
This. My first thought was why did OP not ask for YYZ-DEL-BOM instead? Once you get in country, there are a lot more options to get down to BOM.
fotographer likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by PointWeasel
Of course, to be cheeky:

https://www.staralliance.com/en/connection-service

I feel for the OP though, that sounds like quite the adventure.

Upon arrival in YYZ I would have headed to the Concierge office immediately...
Unfortunately the Concierge office is reserved exclusively for Super Elite - as confirmed in this AC advertisement.
Non SE100K are not welcome.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Clipper801
Unfortunately the Concierge office is reserved exclusively for Super Elite - as confirmed in this AC advertisement.
Non SE100K are not welcome.
The new Signature Service now allows for concierge - in this case perfect for the OP since his original plan was to fly via YYZ.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by pilot14feb
@Clipper
Delay was due to traffic congestion at YYC. I was on board the aircraft, waiting for take-off.

I didn't know I could go to the concierge team as it was my first time flying business on AC. I was helped by the staff on arrival. I wanted to reach BOM at the earliest, so the agent put me on the crazy route as other direct options were supposedly full.

What kind of a discount code can I expect? Is it possible that a part of the price would be refunded as cash for the inconvenience caused.
@PointWeasel
Probably it was one of the connection service team who helped on arrival.

Next time if I get to fly business on AC I will try to get in touch with the Concierge team immediately.

Thank you!
I expect that you will be given a 20~25% discount code.
The Concierge is aware of your situation but as expected, they failed to meet you on arrival of your YYC-YYZ flight to assist you with the re-booking. The reason is because you are not SE100K. Another incompetent ground agent failed to summon the Concierge agent for you but decided to take care of it him/herself in an amateurish way, causing further problems. The agent should know, or ought to know that you are a Signature Class passenger. This sort of things should be handled by a Concierge agent and this is clearly an "at-risk connection" the moment your flight was delayed at YYC.
Technically, AC did not have to offer complimentary overnight hotel to you for the delay reason stated. Travel insurance generally covers this sort of situation. I suppose that you did not travel ZRH-BOM on AC when you received $200 for the bag not arriving with you.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
The new Signature Service now allows for concierge - in this case perfect for the OP since his original plan was to fly via YYZ.
On paper, passengers travelling on business class on an international flight are always supposed to be entitled to the Concierge service. In reality, never in YYZ. So this is not new to the "Signature Class". The advertisement that I appended was not new. It was very specific, only SE100K may use the Concierge office. Air Canada deliberately did not say non SE100K Signature Class passengers may not go to the Concierge office.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Clipper801
On paper, passengers travelling on business class on an international flight are always supposed to be entitled to the Concierge service. In reality, never in YYZ. So this is not new to the "Signature Class". The advertisement that I appended was not new. It was very specific, only SE100K may use the Concierge office. Air Canada deliberately did not say non SE100K Signature Class passengers may not go to the Concierge office.
I'm only stating what the new Signature Service offers - it wasn't an opinion.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by Stranger
Strictly speaking nothing is due according to tariffs. Anything you get would be goodwill.
Agreed, they took care of you the best they could. "time to spare, go by air" sometimes that applies, but seriously no airline can guarantee circumstances that are out of their control, no matter how much you paid for your ticket. But I do empathize, happened to me awhile back trying to get to Paris, my whole itinerary was changed re-routed plus put on another airline (BA) eventually I got their. (pos business fare)
Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
I'm only stating what the new Signature Service offers - it wasn't an opinion.
No question except if you are not SE100K, although you are flying on a class of service that entitled to the Concierge service, you may NOT come to the Concierge office. You are NOT welcome there. This is what Air Canada is telling the non-SE100K Signature Class travellers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.