Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

expired miles after 12 month inactivation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2018, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan

For last several years, I had collected almost 100k aeroplan miles, mostly because i was a cardholder of an aeroplan credit card with membership fee.
Then, I moved out of Canada 2 years ago for employment and there was a no chance of collecting aeroplan miles.
And, suddenly, when I checked the aeroplan website to purchase an air ticket for visiting my family in Canada for vacation, I realized all of my aeroplan miles expired.
Yes, the 12 month expiration policy.
Yes, it is partially my fault for not checking the policy.
But, still I have some excuses.
I have been out of country for a couple of years, so not being in convenient environment for transactions.
Also, the expiration notice never came up.
Maybe it is silly to argue to bent the policy, but when you blow up $1k value of goods, you become desperate and try everything you can.
I'm not sure if it is possible, but anyone with some ideas on how to reclaim the expired miles?
I already contacted help centre and all I heard was there is nothing I can do, though had I changed my address to the foreign address, the expiration policy would not apply.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

spmcis Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by spmcis
For last several years, I had collected almost 100k aeroplan miles, mostly because I was a cardholder of an Aeroplan credit card with membership fee.

Then, I moved out of Canada 2 years ago for employment and there was a no chance of collecting Aeroplan miles.
Any eligible flight on a Star Alliance or partner airline would have earn't Aeroplan ff miles
https://www.staralliance.com/en/home
If you have flown a Star Alliance flight or had another Aeroplan eligible activity(hotel, rental) you may able to retro credit.

It is surprising how many people ignore the frequent part of frequent flyer loyalty programmes.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 22, 2018 at 3:57 pm Reason: (auto) spelling correction
Old Jul 22, 2018, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
When did they expire?
Old Jul 22, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
For last several years, I had collected almost 100k aeroplan miles, mostly because i was a cardholder of an aeroplan credit card with membership fee.
Then, I moved out of Canada 2 years ago for employment and there was a no chance of collecting aeroplan miles.
And, suddenly, when I checked the aeroplan website to purchase an air ticket for visiting my family in Canada for vacation, I realized all of my aeroplan miles expired.
Yes, it is partially my fault for not checking the policy.
But, still I have some excuses.
I have been out of country for a couple of years, so not being in convenient environment for transactions.
Also, the expiration notice never came up.
Maybe it is silly to argue to bent the policy, but when you blow up $1k value of goods, you become desperate and try everything you can.
I'm not sure if it is possible, but anyone with some ideas on how to reclaim the expired miles?
I already contacted help centre and all I heard was there is nothing I can do, though had I changed my address to the foreign address, the expiration policy would not apply.

Changing your address to the foreign address does not change the expiry policy. It is still 12 months.
  1. All mileage in an account expires if the Aeroplan Member has not accumulated or redeemed Aeroplan Miles for a period of 12 consecutive months. Mileage may expire without any reminder from Aeroplan.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
With this being your first post, Welcome to FT.

And sorry to hear about your loss of points.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Requires a DeLorean and driving at 88 miles an hour, otherwise no. There were no doubt opportunities to fly on Star Alliance where you did live and you didn't , or didn't credit to Aeroplan, so tough darts really.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:20 am
Original Poster

at the end of 2017
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:21 am
Original Poster

I dont know.
At least that's what their representative said.
Maybe it is a hidden policy.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:21 am
Original Poster

thx and thx
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this.... but as far as I'm aware, you can purchase the miles back for one cent per mile. Thus, you should be able to get all 100K miles back for one thousand dollars .... a pain, but worth it if you are planning to redeem them for an award that would cost you more than that
https://www.aeroplan.com/helpcenter/...exp-miles_list
LeisureMiler likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canopus27
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this.... but as far as I'm aware, you can purchase the miles back for one cent per mile. Thus, you should be able to get all 100K miles back for one thousand dollars .... a pain, but worth it if you are planning to redeem them for an award that would cost you more than that
https://www.aeroplan.com/helpcenter/...exp-miles_list
Only worth it in that event, assuming the OP can find something suitable which may well be unlikely.

I would argue that as a rule, for someone with no status, miles are actually worth less than 1 cent/mile.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Stranger
Only worth it in that event, assuming the OP can find something suitable which may well be unlikely.

I would argue that as a rule, for someone with no status, miles are actually worth less than 1 cent/mile.
Depends if you want to fly YUL ZRH RT in J for $100. Okay that's 110k miles, but you can buy the additional miles too. We're now at ~$1600 all in, but that's cheaper than any TATL J lie-flats I know of excluding mistake fares.
Also UA options out of the US etc...

As normal, the best redemption are longer J/F flights especially on no surcharge carriers. Even with no status I can get YYZ SFO for 25k points and $123. That's $1100-$1500 each way normally unless I can get a UA codeshare etc.
So for me, 25k points for $250 would be worth it on that route as well. I mean, it's ~$500 for Flex.
canopus27 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.