Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Help with EC Regulation 261/2004 - AC is denying my claim

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Hi all, could use some advise here on how to deal with AC denial of my EC Regulation claim.

I booked a Round trip flight from YEG to LIS departing on July 4, 2018 and returning on July 16, 2018. The return flight is the issue here.
Original Schedule:
AC 1917 LIS-YYZ Departing 12:50 arriving in YYZ at 16:00 then taking AC173 from YYZ to YEG departing at 18:55 arriving in YEG at 21:00 all on July 16, 2018

On July 8th I received a itinerary change notification from Air Canada informing me that my flight AC 1917 from LIS - YYZ was now departing at 16:45, arriving at 19:55. My connection was also changed to AC177 departing at 23:25 from YYZ arriving in YEG at 1:30 on July 17

Due to further delays my flight from LIS to YYZ did not actually depart till 17:12 and I did not actually arrive in YEG till 02:40 in July 17th.

I emailed AC to request compensation, and they replied no:
"
We reiterate our position on the matter that the reason for the delay from Lisbon was due to an uncontrollable situation caused by airport traffic congestion. The EC 261/2004 regulation specifically releases carriers responsibility for compensation under extraordinary circumstances beyond the control of airlines.
We regret we are unable to provide further consideration to this claim. Compensation under EC 261/2004 regulation is not applicable.
This is the final position of Air Canada on the matter. "

Back on July 8 AC told me the flight was being moved due to delays with the aircraft the day before (assume they were referring to July 15th).

It seems AC was aware of the delay and it was within their control and not an extraordinary circumstance. Would appreciate any insights or relevant case law that would support my compensation claim as AC has informed me the next step is to file a claim with Aviation ADR.

Thanks!

Last edited by Hellfire; Jul 20, 2018 at 3:13 pm
Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

With a change occurring on the 8th July , there is no realistic way that i can see that extraordinary circumstances can be claimed for the rescheduling

With it being < 2 weeks before departure , then I believe that there is entitlement to EUR600 compensation for the change that occurred that day

Perhaps AC is being disingenuous in its reply and trying to refer to the delay on day of departure

I would be pushing back and quoting the relevant parts of the regulation and only refer to the scheduled change and not mention the delay on day of departure
Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:46 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
With regards to the reschedule, I know there was a proposal to treat reschedules with less than two weeks warning effectively the same as a cancellation - did that get adopted?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:50 pm

Not sure whether you have an equivalent of the UK MCOL but get going with legal action. The burden of proof rests with the airline in these things. Sounds a regulation lie to me.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
With a change occurring on the 8th July , there is no realistic way that i can see that extraordinary circumstances can be claimed for the rescheduling

With it being < 2 weeks before departure , then I believe that there is entitlement to EUR600 compensation for the change that occurred that day

Perhaps AC is being disingenuous in its reply and trying to refer to the delay on day of departure

I would be pushing back and quoting the relevant parts of the regulation and only refer to the scheduled change and not mention the delay on day of departure
Could you advise which parts would apply? Reading the regulation I'm unclear which parts apply in my case.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 2:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Hellfire
Could you advise which parts would apply? Reading the regulation I'm unclear which parts apply in my case.
Two weeks is for cancelations. Does it apply for delays too? There's probably some court case dealing with that issue
Old Jul 20, 2018, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Hellfire
Hi all, could use some advise here on how to deal with AC denial of my EC Regulation claim.

I booked a Round trip flight from YEG to LIS departing on July 4, 2018 and returning on July 16, 2018. The return flight is the issue here.
Original Schedule:
AC 1917 LIS-YYZ Departing 12:50 arriving in YYZ at 16:00 then taking AC173 from YYZ to YEG departing at 18:55 arriving in YEG at 21:00 all on July 16, 2018

On July 8th I received a itinerary change notification from Air Canada informing me that my flight AC 1917 from LIS - YYZ was now departing at 16:45, arriving at 19:55. My connection was also changed to AC177 departing at 23:25 from YYZ arriving in YEG at 1:30 on July 18

Due to further delays my flight from LIS to YYZ did not actually depart till 17:12 and I did not actually arrive in YEG till 02:40 in July 18th.

I emailed AC to request compensation, and they replied no:
"
We reiterate our position on the matter that the reason for the delay from Lisbon was due to an uncontrollable situation caused by airport traffic congestion. The EC 261/2004 regulation specifically releases carriers responsibility for compensation under extraordinary circumstances beyond the control of airlines.
We regret we are unable to provide further consideration to this claim. Compensation under EC 261/2004 regulation is not applicable.
This is the final position of Air Canada on the matter. "

Back on July 8 AC told me the flight was being moved due to delays with the aircraft the day before (assume they were referring to July 15th).

It seems AC was aware of the delay and it was within their control and not an extraordinary circumstance. Would appreciate any insights or relevant case law that would support my compensation claim as AC has informed me the next step is to file a claim with Aviation ADR.

Thanks!
The dates and times do not make sense. You state that your original return was LIS-YYZ-YEG on 16 July and the change was to LIS-YYZ-YEG departing on 16 July and arriving into YEG on 18 July. Where was the extra day and why was that, e.g., why did you not arrive into YEG on 17 July (it now being past midnight)?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
The dates and times do not make sense. You state that your original return was LIS-YYZ-YEG on 16 July and the change was to LIS-YYZ-YEG departing on 16 July and arriving into YEG on 18 July. Where was the extra day and why was that, e.g., why did you not arrive into YEG on 17 July (it now being past midnight)?
Sorry typo on my part. Yes, did arrive on July 17 early morning.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 3:12 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
This kinda falls into two parts - the reschedule and the delay on the day.

Starting with the reschedule, my understanding (and I've been wrong before) is that compensation is not due in some cases, including this one:

"the passenger has been informed of the cancellation between 14 and 7 days prior to departure and the alternative flight departs no more than 2 hours before the original departure time and arrives no more than 4 hours after the scheduled arrival time" (italics mine)

In this case, the OP seems to have been informed 7 days in advance and the ultimate arrival delay was just over 4 hours.

The problem is that the language above refers to cancellations and I'm still not sure if changes were ever made (they were proposed) to the regulations to have these apply to reschedules as well. It could be moot, but I'm not sure.

The second delay on the day isn't long enough to get any comp anyway.

Last edited by Bohemian1; Jul 20, 2018 at 3:42 pm
Old Jul 20, 2018, 3:39 pm

It appears to me (on my limited amount of research) that Bohemian1 is likely right. There was a schedule change (not a cancellation) that occurred over 1 week prior to departure, and it doesn't appear to be specifically covered by regulations. Closest thing I could find was here:

https://www.mylawyer.co.uk/schedule-...-A76076D35259/

Rights when flights are rescheduled

Airlines change their schedules from time to time. This can result in significant changes to the time or even date of a flight, which in turn could cause delays. Passengers should always be told of changes to schedule in advance.

For significant changes, most airlines will give a refund if the new flight times aren't acceptable to the passenger. This includes connecting flights on a single ticket or reservation. However, an airline making a schedule change has no responsibility for any connecting flights that you may have booked under separate reservations.

Before you accept a schedule change, be sure that it isn't actually a cancellation. If the flight number is different, and if you're being told of a change within 14 days of travel, you might be entitled to compensation.
Your flight number is the same; you likely accepted the schedule change by not requesting a re-route in advance and by boarding your original flight number. Looks to me like the scheduled time published July 8 will be the "scheduled" departure time, and that you were 1:10 late at destination compared to that, so I don't think compensation is due. Of course, IANAL.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
It's worth reading the 261 on the BA forum, they have excellent advice for interpretation of the regulations and how to proceed when an airline denies the claim. Post 3 will be particularly useful for you.

The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
The problem is that the language above refers to cancellations and I'm still not sure if changes were ever made (they were proposed) to the regulations to have these apply to reschedules as well. It could be moot, but I'm not sure.

The second delay on the day isn't long enough to get any comp anyway.
It has been ruled that delays count which is why a 4+ hour delay will earn the same compensation as a cancellation

I would have trouble seeing how the airline could change the time of the flight 7 days in advance and get out of paying compensation
Old Jul 21, 2018, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It has been ruled that delays count which is why a 4+ hour delay will earn the same compensation as a cancellation

I would have trouble seeing how the airline could change the time of the flight 7 days in advance and get out of paying compensation
Hmm do you have a link to a ruling that supports a using the originals scheduled flight as the basis for calculation the delay, or that the changes were a defacto cancellation?

It seems the changes were made by AC to deliberately avoid paying compensation.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 9:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Do not bother playing lawyer, even if you are one, quoting the Regulation and precedential decisions of various courts. AC knows all of those better than you do. It has made a decision that it will likely get away with changing the departure time such that your arrival appears not to be sufficiently delayed. That was a conscious act and not an error to be corrected.

Your choices:

1. Turn this matter over to one of the claims agencies. They typically take 25-33% of the loot, but handle all of the details. They also only get paid if they win so won't take a claim they can't win. A good barometer for you as they are not emotional, just engaging in a business transaction.

2. As this is not a violation of Canadian law, your choice of law here comes down to Portugal. File an action in Portugal.

3. Put this behind you and move on.

Your choice.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 9:50 am
Suspended

Call me simple but they rescheduled a flight and they informed you of the change. You did not object to that change and you boarded the rescheduled flight (the departure delay is irrelevant). So just why would you think you are entitled to compensation? The time to object was when you were informed of the rescheduling of the flight, but even then, AC is entitled to make schedule changes. You are entitled to not accept a change and ask for a refund. Then you find an alternative means of transportation that suits you better.

I see no reason why you might be entitled to any compensation at all. But it's your time to waste.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.