Wiki Posts
Search

Short Haul destinations from YYZ

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2018, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTPP
Short Haul destinations from YYZ

Anyone have the short haul chart for destinations covered from YYZ? I can't find it anywhere.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Safti
Anyone have the short haul chart for destinations covered from YYZ? I can't find it anywhere.
From Ontario---Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, Nunavut (Direct flights between Iqaluit and Ottawa only).
Connecticut, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Virginia, Washington DC, Wisconsin.

Source:
https://www.aeroplan.com/use-your-mi...ulCurrentTitle
Old Jul 19, 2018, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTPP
Thanks!
Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Safti
It's also in the forum sticky for future reference.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 12:47 am

It should be noted that the best bang for your buck on short-hauls are either:
  1. Flights to Iqaluit (from Ottawa) - the sticker price on them is over $1,500 CAD roundtrip for a 3 1/2 hour meal flight with free checked bag, also Iqaluit is an interesting place to visit!
  2. Last minute (i.e. same day, next day) where prices are insane (i.e. YYZ -> YUL can go for over $300 one-way in Y on day of departure).
  3. Multi-City/Triangle Flights where you get to travel to an additional short haul destination for free (i.e. YYZ to BOS, then BOS to YUL then YUL back to YYZ)
Depending on where you live in Ontario, you may also want to consider alternate airports that may either be closer to you (i.e. YTZ instead of YYZ if you live in downtown) or have better availability on the routes (i.e. YTZ -> YUL generally has more availability than YYZ -> YUL).

Safe Travels,

James
Admiral Ackbar likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 5:36 am

Also great value for YGR (Iles-de-la-Madeleine) which has amazing unspoiled beaches and fabulous seafood.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by torcellano
Also great value for YGR (Iles-de-la-Madeleine) which has amazing unspoiled beaches and fabulous seafood.

Thanks for sharing this, I never knew there was an airport on the island.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by torcellano
I have thought about that one, but never redeemed it . Gaspe is also a possibility but hard to get flight for 2.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Heffeh41
Thanks for sharing this, I never knew there was an airport on the island.
There is a direct YGR-GIG flight.
cedric and YYC009 like this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS
I'm guessing that's a direct flight with stop overs in YQG, BOS, MIA and several other stop overs? No way can a Q400 have the range let alone ETOPS to make GIG in one go! In any event a multi day trip on the Q400 would be brutal even in first! As much as I'm an AVgeek that is really putting insult to injury. No doubt AC wouldn't serve meals in Y, they'll argue it's a series of domestic flights. Might be a good routing for EYW though!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:28 pm

Programs: TK*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by j2simpso
It should be noted that the best bang for your buck on short-hauls are either:
  1. Flights to Iqaluit (from Ottawa) - the sticker price on them is over $1,500 CAD roundtrip for a 3 1/2 hour meal flight with free checked bag, also Iqaluit is an interesting place to visit!
  2. Last minute (i.e. same day, next day) where prices are insane (i.e. YYZ -> YUL can go for over $300 one-way in Y on day of departure).
  3. Multi-City/Triangle Flights where you get to travel to an additional short haul destination for free (i.e. YYZ to BOS, then BOS to YUL then YUL back to YYZ)
James
Wow, thank you! never knew about the multi-city trick!
Unfortunately, it seems it doesn't work for EWR because it exceeds the max mileage The fees for BOS is $244!!
Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by ericw
Wow, thank you! never knew about the multi-city trick!
Unfortunately, it seems it doesn't work for EWR because it exceeds the max mileage The fees for BOS is $244!!
You may want to call in for that one, as the multi-city feature on the web has been known to be wonky. You may also want to play around with routings (i.e. which cities you visit first) as that may influence the MPM calculation. Remember, to take advantage of the short haul discount you need to be flying on AC metal (so no United flights).

On a side note, the easiest way to avoid silly fees on Aeroplan is to avoid flying with AC, LH and OS, (which has the downside that you can't book short-haul 15,000 miles trips). Case in point, I recently booked a one-way from LAX to DTW on United for $7 CAD + 12,500 miles with Aeroplan. Similar itinerary to an equally close airport (YXU, YQG or YZR) would have been around $100 in taxes and fees. There's a several discussions on FT dedicated on how to bypass this dumb fees (including changing the Aeroplan itinerary back to AC after you've flown your first segment). I always get a chuckle when I hear those stories on CBC about angry "frequent flyers" who complain that they can't use their miles for anything (i.e. pay high fees or flights not available). Like anything in life, if you do enough research you'll find the best way to maximize the resources you have available!

Last but certainly not least, Aeroplan sometimes has promotions on their so called Market Flights which allow you to book roundtrip tickets to Europe for as little as 30,000 miles. The downside to these market flights is that again you'll be on AC so silly taxes and fees apply. Hence, you'll want to compare the total cost of that 29,000 point flight to Edinburgh versus what the cost would be on Google Flights to figure out what your true savings are. That being said, it could still be a deal.

Safe Travels,

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.