AC PE ranked 12th by Skytrax

Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
AC PE ranked 12th by Skytrax

https://www.worldairlineawards.com/w...my-class-2018/

Overall rank is 12th.
Didn't make top ten in either food or seat.

It would be so easy and hopefully inexpensive to put the premium in their premium economy.
Curtains to separate from Y.
Catering service that is not part of the Y service, but it's own that includes wine from a glass bottle that is poured into a glass.
Slightly improved leg room would be nice, but the two items above coupled with existing seating would make the experience feel somewhat premium.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
How does LH rank as #4 ??? Seat is no better than AC, main meal is just plated Y meal - at least AC gives you one "good" meal.

Agree with NZ being #1 .
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by taupo
https://www.worldairlineawards.com/w...my-class-2018/

Overall rank is 12th.
Didn't make top ten in either food or seat.

It would be so easy and hopefully inexpensive to put the premium in their premium economy.
Curtains to separate from Y.
Catering service that is not part of the Y service, but it's own that includes wine from a glass bottle that is poured into a glass.
Slightly improved leg room would be nice, but the two items above coupled with existing seating would make the experience feel somewhat premium.
I'd be ok with even just having the curtains and some enforcement. But yes, I agree.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: TK *G
The price over Tango is certainly a premium. The profit margin is probably a premium too.

Everything else is economy.

Makes perfect sense to me that it's called "Premium" Economy
CZAMFlyer likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Ranked 12th worldwide... but 1st amongst NA carriers. I totally agree with the potential recommendation for improvement... but why would AC care?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Would be interesting to see what else apart from Catering and Seat was used to rank this

Has to be others as Aeroflot beat LH in both categories, but finished below them overall
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
Would be interesting to see what else apart from Catering and Seat was used to rank this

Has to be others as Aeroflot beat LH in both categories, but finished below them overall
If Aerofart beats LH on anything, then Skytrax is tainted. But then again, Aerofart hasn't crashed a plane in a while, so maybe that's why they're #winning .

In any case, I agree with the OP that things like the curtain and glassware be included for AC PE.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Last week because of a misconnect Mrs S and I ended up not in our chosen aisle/window pair, but separated and in the middle of the 2-4-2 slaveship configuration. This is NOT premium, and I did not pay an extra $1000 for this. I would have been happier in a Row 31 exit row.

It is a stretch to call the middle two seats in a four-abreast configuration anything close to a premium product.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Sopwith
Last week because of a misconnect Mrs S and I ended up not in our chosen aisle/window pair, but separated and in the middle of the 2-4-2 slaveship configuration. This is NOT premium, and I did not pay an extra $1000 for this. I would have been happier in a Row 31 exit row.

It is a stretch to call the middle two seats in a four-abreast configuration anything close to a premium product.
Ain't that the truth. Last year due to a weather waiver, I ended up coming back YYZ to HKG a day early.

You guessed it..the only available seat was one of the middle seats, first PE row. I missed a LMU to J by I think one person.

That was a tough flight.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I'd be ok with even just having the curtains and some enforcement. But yes, I agree.
Yeah. It's not like a curtain would cost them anything. I also don't like the 777 PE where one has to schlep to the back to enjoy the ambiance of a Y lav. Yucko.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by mapleg
Yeah. It's not like a curtain would cost them anything. I also don't like the 777 PE where one has to schlep to the back to enjoy the ambiance of a Y lav. Yucko.
It would require FAs to do more work which is perhaps one of the hardest things for AC management to accomplish.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, SPG Gold
I would love to see dedicated flight attendants in PY, slightly better recline and better wine selection. SQ PY is not much better than AC but it is the little things that make a difference.
JordanYVR likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by The Lev
How does LH rank as #4 ??? Seat is no better than AC, main meal is just plated Y meal - at least AC gives you one "good" meal.

Agree with NZ being #1 .
Going to have to disagree there. Having flown both a lot over the past couple of years, LH is the better product.
  • Cleaner/brighter/crisper/better maintained cabin. Maybe it's the colour scheme, but AC PY looks dark and dirty. The wear and tear and scuff marks on AC's 789s is surprisingly bad, Transfer from LH PY to AC PY and you'll see what I mean. It actually feels like a step down.
  • LH is often cheaper on ones-stops
  • The catering quality is better than AC. AC's first meal is slightly larger; LH's second meal isn't banana bread or a frozen wrap. Yes, LH uses the Y meal, but their Y meals are much, much higher quality than AC Y.
  • IFE is about the same, but live channels give LH a slight edge
  • Did I mention clean/bright/crisper cabin? AC PY just looks and feels old and tired. Even the new planes.
SQ has the same seat with a little more recline, but beats both on catering/IFE/blanket quality/ galley snacks.

BA is probably the worst of the lot. Haven't flown VS since DL took over, but DL must have done a real number on them for VS PY to come in behind LH and AC. VS PY used to be great. Maybe it still is. This is Skytrax after all.
pilot007 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by mapleg
The loss of the curtain certainly lessened the experience for me. Seems like a little thing, but it actually makes a difference.

Having recently tried LH PE on the A330, to me the seat seemed more comfortable and had better recline. On another flight, we were subbed into an A340 and the seat wasn’t as nice but overall I still preferred it to any of my recent AC PE experience—this is due to better service overall (same for LH J over AC J). I don’t know if LH has more flight attendants vs AC but in PE of late I’ve found the AC FA’s seem to disappear for most of the flight and then are incredibly rushed at the end of the flights. It kind of takes the premium out of it. When PE started in AC it really did feel like a much better product than it is now. But, AC seems to sell these seats for fairly high fares so I’m sure they see no reason to change.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by yyznomad
If Aerofart beats LH on anything, then Skytrax is tainted. But then again, Aerofart hasn't crashed a plane in a while, so maybe that's why they're #winning .

In any case, I agree with the OP that things like the curtain and glassware be included for AC PE.
Yes, LH's European coach/business class is clearly superior to SU's actual business seats....

And AC manages to rough land and nearly lands on top of 4 other planes, and still gets #1 .... ěnagine that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.