Community
Wiki Posts
Search

eUpgrading an Aeroplan Award

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
eUpgrading an Aeroplan Award

AC has been permitting the upgrading of domestic/Transborder Aeroplan X-class bookings from time to time at check-in. At the same time AE awards on AC are booking into (or at least on confirmation emails) Tango fare sub-classes. I have an A-class award and was wondering if anyone has had experience upgrading this class (or any other sub-class) of award lately?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: AC 75K
Aeroplan offers two types of awards. Classic award which books into X, and Market Fare award which will book into a revenue fare class (which are far from new), but is still considered an award ticket.

Upgrades on market fare awards are not permitted. You have a Market Fare award, so no, you can't upgrade on it.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Thanks. Curiously when I booked this was the only redemption option and it was cheaper than the normal Passaic award would be.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: Air Canada 50K, Marriott Gold,
MFFR flights can be less miles than a Classic flight since the number of miles required fluctuates with the market value of the flight (hence the name Market Fare). Aeroplan calls this "Great Deals" since the rate is even more favourable than what you might pay on a Classic flight.
As for upgrades, your only option should be a last minute upgrade for cash during check-in on MFFR awards I believe.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
You can bid for an upgrade on an AC award flight. I don't know if that applies for both market fare as well as classic awards but it's easy to check if your flight is eligible.

https://upgrade.plusgrade.com/offer/AirCanada?lang=en

If you can't or if it fails then it's LMU or broke as mentioned above however.
TOR27 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:23 pm

Programs: Amex Cent, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by TOR27
MFFR flights can be less miles than a Classic flight since the number of miles required fluctuates with the market value of the flight (hence the name Market Fare). Aeroplan calls this "Great Deals" since the rate is even more favourable than what you might pay on a Classic flight.
As for upgrades, your only option should be a last minute upgrade for cash during check-in on MFFR awards I believe.
Really? In all my years as an Aeroplan member I don't think i've ever seen a market fare rate that's less than a classic reward point requirement. Has anyone else seen this?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by trayvreller
Really? In all my years as an Aeroplan member I don't think i've ever seen a market fare rate that's less than a classic reward point requirement. Has anyone else seen this?
Yup, all the time. Usually priced 500 miles under classic rates, but saves the YQ and other scam charges if you don't have status.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:09 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
It's by no means all the time, but not at all uncommon.

There are also times where the Market Fare may cost slightly more in points than Classic but save a large amount of cash in YQ etc, delivering high value for the small incremental number of points.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: Air Canada 50K, Marriott Gold,
When you get to the search page there is a rolling display of recently booked Great Deals right under the search bar, that were all booked in the last 7 days.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Thanks. Curiously when I booked this was the only redemption option and it was cheaper than the normal Passaic award would be.
Nothing curious about it. If, typically, nothing else is available, the web site shows these.

BTW what's Passaic?

(Apart from a city in NJ?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.