Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying AP points

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Asian Club *g, AC Aeroplan, EK Skywards, QF Frequent Flyer, Velocity VA, Hilton Honors Diamond
Buying AP points

I wonder if anyone can help? I am looking all over for the rates to purchase AP points? I about 30k short, would anyone know the cost AP would charge or how I can find this myself. This link is not really helpful:https://www.aeroplan.com/earn_miles/buy_miles.do

Thanks for any advice!

SYD/YYZ
Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by SYD/YYZ
I wonder if anyone can help? I am looking all over for the rates to purchase AP points? I about 30k short, would anyone know the cost AP would charge or how I can find this myself. This link is not really helpful:https://www.aeroplan.com/earn_miles/buy_miles.do

Thanks for any advice!

SYD/YYZ
4 cents plus tax each and you need 50% of the miles for planned trip already. So $1356 based on ON 13%.

Many cards offer bonuses. I can’t think of a case where $1356 is worth 30k miles even booking a next day flight. Maybe a one way next day TATL flight. Likely on AC metal where you’ll pay $300 in scam fees.

How many points do you have and what route are you wanting?

Last edited by jc94; Jul 11, 2018 at 5:36 pm
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Asian Club *g, AC Aeroplan, EK Skywards, QF Frequent Flyer, Velocity VA, Hilton Honors Diamond
Thanks jc94 for the quick info. It is a SYD-TPA flight in J -transpac all in J (UA & AC) and internal Y (UA) with a bit J (AC).
I am SYD based so no card sign ups and it is for a family death so a unplanned and immediate trip required.

Cheers

SYD/YYZ
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Sorry about your loss.

Have you looked to see if you can actually book this. Aeroplan out of SYD is notoriously difficult to book in J.
Stranger likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:47 pm

Thanks jc94 for the quick info. It is a SYD-TPA flight in J -transpac all in J (UA & AC) and internal Y (UA) with a bit J (AC).
I am SYD based so no card sign ups and it is for a family death so a unplanned and immediate trip required.

Cheers

SYD/YYZ
Sorry to hear that. AC do bereavement fares if that helps, though it’s Y only and basically you book into a mid/high flex (M or H I believe) class but late on. I saved about 8%.

Call in only. Hope you get there safe and soon.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
I'd be looking at buying SPG points and transferring. Buying 25,000 would give you what you need (they give a 5,000 point bonus for every 20,000 points transferred), plus they have a purchase bonus right now so it should be cheaper.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Twickenham
I'd be looking at buying SPG points and transferring. Buying 25,000 would give you what you need (they give a 5,000 point bonus for every 20,000 points transferred), plus they have a purchase bonus right now so it should be cheaper.
What’s transfer time like? My transfers (albeit not to AP but two OW partners) have always taken several days with emails listing potentially weeks.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the follow ups and I was able to snag UA J SYD-IAH -TPA (Y) then UA TPA-DEN (Y), AC DEN-YVR-SYD all J. Happy enough.

On a side anyone know if UA opens up domestic J for rewards? cabins look light but only X economy award spaces.

Thanks again

SYD/YYZ
Old Jul 14, 2018, 9:19 am

Thanks for the follow ups and I was able to snag UA J SYD-IAH.... AC DEN-YVR-SYD all J. SYD/YYZ
That's impressive for last minute travel.^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.