Wiki Posts
Search

The AMS Transfer experience

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2018, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
The AMS Transfer experience

This relates specifically to transferring to AC at AMS without an AC boarding pass

Bit of a shambles to be honest. I couldn't generate a boarding pass on-line or through the app (It seemed as they needed to check my passport, but just gave a generic - and concerning - failure message . It was also rather ambiguous if I had been checked in or not.

Not one transfer desk is geared up to deal with AC (and there are nine of them), the advice was simply to go to the gate. I explained that, but the time the gate was staffed I might well have missed check in deadline.

The Aspire lounge did try and help by calling the landslide desks but of course no one answered. So after a good 20 minutes schlepping around Schiphol it seemed the only answer was to go landside, adding a further 45 minutes of queues for immigration and security. (By far the worse was checking passports to leave Holland).

Given AMS is such a transfer heavy airport, I can't believe AC is so badly geared up to dealing with it here. Luckily we have an hour delay, but its not good, particularly as it is all outsourced to Swissport anyway.

So please allow time if you have the same booking type set up as me.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: Aeroplan
What airline were you transferring from? Was it a *A carrier? What city were you coming from?

If there was a departing AC flight, why wouldn't the AC desk be staffed?

I'm not saying that you are wrong, I'm just trying to fill in a few details of your experience. An AC capable transfer desk would probably make sense.

I remember transferring from WS to AF in YYZ a few years back. The AF agents paged us to come to the gate for passport checks. Luckily there was nothing stopping us getting to the gate to do the passport checks at T3.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the airline flown at origin cannot generate the AC boarding pass, then aircanada.com should. But what I read in the OP's wording is that it did not work. Which then raises the question: assuming it was a single ticket, why didn't the first airline issue it, and if there was a problem, deal with it?

BTW passport check should not be a reason for not being able to do online check in. Passport check has to be done anyway even when checking in online. More likely a ticketing issue.

I eould have gone to the gate and I would have been heavily pi*** off if they would have told me I missed the check in cutoff.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

As I said I flew in on a non linked carrier / ticket, so no way to get a boarding pass when I started the journey.

There is is no AC transfer desk at AMS

AC.COM apparently doesn't like EU passports. I promise you there was no ticketing issue; the boarding pass was issued as soon as my passport was swiped.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
OP - unfortunately this is not the only Euro airport that fails at this. (at least from an AC experience)
Old Jul 7, 2018, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ukgooner
As I said I flew in on a non linked carrier / ticket, so no way to get a boarding pass when I started the journey.

There is is no AC transfer desk at AMS

AC.COM apparently doesn't like EU passports. I promise you there was no ticketing issue; the boarding pass was issued as soon as my passport was swiped.
What's a "non-linked ticket?" Do you mean separate tickets? (BTW I don't see where the original article mentions anything of the kind)?

Not sure either what "non-linked carriers" might mean, non-interlining?

As to EU passports, maybe the issue was the eTA? Does the eTA check occur when they swipe passports? Does on line check in work if one has to show that one has already obtained an eTA?
Old Jul 7, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: AC*SM, M&M SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
I can't imagine AC is particularly concerned with making sure self-connecting passengers with an online check-in issue have a smooth flow at AMS which probably explains the OP's experience. Most AMS passengers will either originate their journey at AMS or will start on their ticket elsewhere; in either case an airside connections desk wouldn't be needed.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bawm
I can't imagine AC is particularly concerned with making sure self-connecting passengers with an online check-in issue have a smooth flow at AMS which probably explains the OP's experience. Most AMS passengers will either originate their journey at AMS or will start on their ticket elsewhere; in either case an airside connections desk wouldn't be needed.
But then that's not specific to AMS. Will be the same at most remote stations, except in airports with a large AC presence.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by Stranger
But then that's not specific to AMS. Will be the same at most remote stations, except in airports with a large AC presence.
This is correct. AMS is actually a very painless airport to transfer through, provided you're not on a third-world airline like AC.
ukgooner and quantumofforce like this.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
You should have been able to get your boarding pass on air Canada website using online check in.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cooleddie
You should have been able to get your boarding pass on air Canada website using online check in.
Even if requiring an eTA?
Old Jul 7, 2018, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cooleddie
which I couldn't - hence my problem. Even a message saying I was checked in but needed a passport check to get my boarding pass would have reassured emmensely

Last edited by ukgooner; Jul 7, 2018 at 3:58 pm
Old Jul 7, 2018, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

What's a "non-linked ticket?" Do you mean separate tickets? (BTW I don't see where the original article mentions anything of the kind)?

Not sure either what "non-linked carriers" might mean, non-interlining?

As to EU passports, maybe the issue was the eTA? Does the eTA check occur when they swipe passports? Does on line check in work if one has to show that one has already obtained an eTA?
i simpky was reiterating that I arrived in AMS without a AC boarding pass. You asked questions about routing and other carriers, which wasn't relevant in my case. I arrived much earlier on a separate booking (wasn't even star alliance, but as if that would have helped as it wasn't a through booking) and wanted to stay airside, but couldn't thanks to ACs (Swissports) lack of transfer resource. HBO of course.

There is a lot if interrogation here. I just wanted to post my experience so others who arrive in a similar position are forewarned and prepared to do the sAme as me.

Id also be interested if anyone knows for sure if there were any risks of waiting for the gate staff to turn up, even if that was after the flight was technically closed.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

There are NINE transfer desks at AMS dealing with pretty much every airline I've ever heard of (and some I haven't). But not AC
Old Jul 7, 2018, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by ukgooner
Id also be interested if anyone knows for sure if there were any risks of waiting for the gate staff to turn up, even if that was after the flight was technically closed.
Closed as in check-in time, or closed as the boarding gate?

Gate agents generally show up more than an hour before the flight, which would give you sufficient time to retrieve your boarding pass. Also, even if you are not able to receive your boarding pass (for whatever reason) when check-in first open - e.g. 24 hours prior to the flight departure time, you can still check yourself in.

Earlier this year, I flew IAH - AMS on KL (ST) and UA (*A) from AMS to EWR on separate tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.