Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: AC8 HKG-YVR blocked seats roll 19-24 77WHD

Question: AC8 HKG-YVR blocked seats roll 19-24 77WHD

Old Jul 11, 2018, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E25k, NEXUS
AC8 HKG-YVR blocked seats roll 19-24 77WHD

My friend and I (E25k) booked FLEX fare on AC8 and have access to row 19-24. My mom (no status), however on a separate reservation, with FLEX fare, does not. Does anyone know if the rolls will be release at check in (T-24)? Is there a way to pay and select a seat for her? I just wanted to secure 19J for her. Thank you.

Our seat selection screens:

My friend and I

My mom

Last edited by ksyung; Jul 11, 2018 at 7:16 pm Reason: Typo: roll->row
Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:24 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ksyung
My friend and I (E25k) booked FLEX fare on AC8 and have access to roll 19-24. My mom (no status), however on a separate reservation, with FLEX fare, does not. Does anyone know if the rolls will be release at check in (T-24)? Is there a way to pay and select a seat for her? I just wanted to secure 19J for her. Thank you.
If it's your mom, then I would phone in and simply ask to have her moved next to you. Air Canada has a cleverly confusing mix of three special seat types in economy .... Preferred, Premium, and Priority. Only the first two types require an additional fee, but the seat you're looking at is neither of those, it's "just" Priority. The Priority seats are simply saved for people with status (so that last minute purchases don't force frequent flyers to always sit at the back of the plane). Thus, if you call in they should be able to move your mom next to you, and only the normal seat selection fees should apply (depending on your mom's fare type; zero in many cases, some dollars in others ). As your mom has a Flex fare, which includes seat selection, it should be free to move her.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
The seats are not any different than the rest of the HD seats (ie.awful), and yes what is leftover is opened up at checkin, and anyone can move there.

I'd probably book her an aisle or window somewhere else. In case 19J is occupied, the person would love to swap for a non-middle.
gcashin likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: *$ Green
That section is reserved for Altitude, and Y/B pax.

However, as an altitude member, you can ask to override and book a companion travelling with you in that section, but you have to call. Standard fees apply though.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
That section is reserved for Altitude, and Y/B pax.

However, as an altitude member, you can ask to override and book a companion travelling with you in that section, but you have to call. Standard fees apply though.
Do you mean standard fees, or fees associated with Standard? Since the OP talks about Flex, I guess it's not that Standard, but simply standard. So egu.
smallmj likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
to the OP, as per others here, I've also been able to call in (as a status Altitude member) to get a non-status traveling companion to sit with me in the front of Y.

Last edited by tcook052; Jul 11, 2018 at 6:44 am
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rolls???
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
On a similar subject I have a flex fare booked on YLW-YYZ on AC Rouge. There are no preferred/exit row seats available which I should have access to as SE. I called the concierge and she confirmed that but also said that there are some seats being held and will be released for airport control. I hope these are not preferred seats as I would hate to be stuck in my current seat on a Rouge flight while AC hangs onto preferred seats.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stranger
Rolls???
I'm sure the OP meant "rows". Or an airplane with a Rows Royce engine.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
I'm sure the OP meant "rows". Or an airplane with a Rows Royce engine.
Right guys, I meant row. Thanks for pointing it out.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

I did call the AC Hong Kong number (coz I'm in HK), the agent told me that those rows are blocked and there is nothing he could do about it. He told me to check in early and see if those seat can be selected.

I'll call the Canadian number tonight and report back. Thanks everyone for the insight.

Update:
So I just called the E25k number, the agent exact wording is: Unless she has an altitude status, she would not be able to select those seat, even on Flex fare.
I asked if I can pay a fee to select 19J and he said no.
He linked our booking references together and that's all he could do for us for now. Hopefully no one would select a middle seat 19J.

Last edited by ksyung; Jul 11, 2018 at 7:40 pm Reason: Updated e25k agent result
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
The seats are not any different than the rest of the HD seats (ie.awful), and yes what is leftover is opened up at checkin, and anyone can move there.

I'd probably book her an aisle or window somewhere else. In case 19J is occupied, the person would love to swap for a non-middle.
I thought about that too and the closest "J" seat is 27J, the closest window/aisle seat is at the back on the plane (row 50 to 60). So I decided 25F middle for her for now, at least it's closer.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by ksyung
I did call the AC Hong Kong number (coz I'm in HK), the agent told me that those rows are blocked and there is nothing he could do about it. He told me to check in early and see if those seat can be selected.

I'll call the Canadian number tonight and report back. Thanks everyone for the insight.

Update:
So I just called the E25k number, the agent exact wording is: Unless she has an altitude status, she would not be able to select those seat, even on Flex fare.
I asked if I can pay a fee to select 19J and he said no.
He linked our booking references together and that's all he could do for us for now. Hopefully no one would select a middle seat 19J.
Hang up call again. There's a seat override they can do specifically for your situation.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Hang up call again. There's a seat override they can do specifically for your situation.
Agreed.

"Hello, I'm an E25K, I'm seated in 19K, and I'd like to move my mom so that she can sit next to me please"
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Or an airplane with a Rows Royce engine.
But that B77WHD uses GE instead...

I could be wrong - is it possible that the agents won't override because of OP's low level status?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.