Jetkids Bed Box allowed on AC?

Old Jul 10, 18, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Jetkids Bed Box allowed on AC?

Does anyone know if Jetkids Bed Box are allowed on AC flights?

Here is a link to what they are: https://jet-kids.com/

Family and I were flying YVR-YOW last week in J and when I tried to set up the bed box at the window seat, the FA told me we weren't allowed to use it as Transport Canada doesn't allow their use. I haven't been able to find anything on the TC website so I'm wondering if this was just a misinformed FA. Since this flight I have seen at least half a dozen of kids being wheeled around airports on these, so I'm assuming someone is being allowed to use them. Wife has to travel back to YVR in a couple of weeks on her own with a 2 year old and a 2 month old. So if this is allowed, it will likely make a big difference for her (and the 2 year old).

thanks
Old Jul 10, 18, 9:18 pm

How is it secured? It size appears to require securing - if it requires securing then it typically requires transport canada approval.
Old Jul 10, 18, 9:22 pm

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...-children.html

Under child restraint devices:

Prohibited Child Restraint Devices

• Booster seats: a booster seat (or cushion) is defined as a removable device for use in a vehicle for the purpose of seating in an elevated position a person whose mass is 18 kg (40 lb.) or more. It is designed to be used with an automobile lap and shoulder belt and is therefore not approved for use in an aircraft.
  • Belly loops and vests or harness type devices.
  • BedBox®, Plane Pal, Fly-Tot, Fly LegsUp, Flyebaby.
  • Little Cargo® seats (notwithstanding any claims from manufacturers that they are approved for use in aircraft).
  • Infant sling/wrap carriers similar to Snugli™ or Baby Bjorn™ are accepted in addition to the infant's carry-on allowance if required for use on board the aircraft. These carriers are not approved for use as a "restraint device" and may not be used during taxi, take-off, and landing, or at any time the seat belt sign is illuminated. The parent or guardian will have to remove their infant from the carrier every time the seat belt sign is illuminated.
Looks like FA was right. Maybe others were using them as suitcase/child transport in airport without actually using bed feature on plane.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 11, 18, 6:23 am

Programs: AC*S100K ACMM / HH Diamond
It's an interesting question. The regulations quoted above make it clear that bedbox is not an approved restraint ... but if you watch the YouTube video, that clearly shows that the bedbox is only assembled after the seatbelt sign is turned off, and you can also see that the normal seatbelt is over the child ... so in the video, it doesn't seem that it's being used as a restraint at all, but just a support.

I can't see much difference between that, and just having a normal rollerbag under the seat in front of the child - which you pull out midflight, stand on its edge, and rest the childs feet on.

If you were trying to use this device prior to takeoff, or while the seatbelt sign was on, that's a definite no-no. But midflight, I'm not sure I understand what concern there may be.
Old Jul 11, 18, 7:17 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by canopus27 View Post
It's an interesting question. The regulations quoted above make it clear that bedbox is not an approved restraint ... but if you watch the YouTube video, that clearly shows that the bedbox is only assembled after the seatbelt sign is turned off, and you can also see that the normal seatbelt is over the child ... so in the video, it doesn't seem that it's being used as a restraint at all, but just a support.

I can't see much difference between that, and just having a normal rollerbag under the seat in front of the child - which you pull out midflight, stand on its edge, and rest the childs feet on.

If you were trying to use this device prior to takeoff, or while the seatbelt sign was on, that's a definite no-no. But midflight, I'm not sure I understand what concern there may be.
How about it would inhibit the quick evacuation of the child or of the person seated between the child and the aisle (if it was in a B or E seat on a narrow body for example)?
canopus27 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 18, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
It was only at cruising level that I tried to set it up. I can see it being an issue being setup at any seat other than a window, but beyond that I feel it’s an excessive rule.

Thanks for the replies.
Old Jul 11, 18, 9:06 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
The video on the company's website clearly indicates that it's only to be extended after the seatbelt sign has been extinguished, so I'd clarify with an airline if it may be used mid-flight. I have trouble believing a company would spend all the effort on R&D, manufacturing, marketing etc without consulting the airline industry to ensure compliance of its product.

Then again, more egregious oversights have occurred.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 11, 18, 12:05 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer View Post
The video on the company's website clearly indicates that it's only to be extended after the seatbelt sign has been extinguished, so I'd clarify with an airline if it may be used mid-flight. I have trouble believing a company would spend all the effort on R&D, manufacturing, marketing etc without consulting the airline industry to ensure compliance of its product.

Then again, more egregious oversights have occurred.
There is also this line from the restrictions:
  • Little Cargo® seats (notwithstanding any claims from manufacturers that they are approved for use in aircraft).
Basically it looks there at least more than one product that spent all that R&D and marketing effort without getting their product approved.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 11, 18, 12:23 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by shore9 View Post
It was only at cruising level that I tried to set it up. I can see it being an issue being setup at any seat other than a window, but beyond that I feel it’s an excessive rule.

Thanks for the replies.
As far as I am aware, there are no safety rules that are contingent upon being in an aisle, window, or middle seat. Here is another example: you are not supposed to be charging a device during take-off and landing. So the cord doesn't inhibit somebody else's movement during an emergency. That wouldn't matter if you were in a window seat, but it is still a rule for window seats.
Old Jul 11, 18, 2:38 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE

Thanks for the replies.
If you look at the list of prohibited child restraint devices, the only device that is allowable for use in-flight are the "Infant sling/wrap carriers similar to Snugli™ or Baby Bjorn" - there is a specific call-out that allows those devices to be used during flight, except when the seat belt sign is on.

Looks like your Bed Box is prohibited at all times.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 11, 18, 3:52 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by Fiordland View Post
There is also this line from the restrictions:
Basically it looks there at least more than one product that spent all that R&D and marketing effort without getting their product approved.
I understand the airline specifically restricts some products (and I note the one you mention is not the one under debate), but it does surprise me that the manufacturer of such a product would not have consulted with the major players in the industry. Given the market in Canada is conceivably a lucrative one, this is something even the most novice entrepreneur should have accomplished.

It seems the AC ban may have come into effect in the year since this Australian article was written, as the airline is listed as allowing such devices here: https://babyology.com.au/lifestyle/travel/helpful-kids-sleep-devices-are-now-banned-on-jetstar-and-qantas-flights.html but no longer on the JetKids website: https://jet-kids.com/Airline%20list.pdf

No wonder there's confusion.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 11, 18, 8:08 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite

Thanks for the replies.
Don't we all believe that rules, which prevent us from doing what we want to do, are excessive, if we don't have all of the information that may have been studied/provided, at the time the rule was made?
Old Jul 12, 18, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life View Post
Don't we all believe that rules, which prevent us from doing what we want to do, are excessive, if we don't have all of the information that may have been studied/provided, at the time the rule was made?
Sure, but how much of AC's stance is what you suggest, and how much is monetization (WFBF)?
Old Jul 14, 18, 7:35 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Platinum
It's a shame the Bed Box isn't allowed at window seats. It seems like a really handy item.

I guess the other option is to sit in economy and have a child sleep across their parents (movable armrest).

When I sit in PY or domestic J with my toddler (immobile armrest), I put my carry-on bag under her feet so she can lie down to sleep.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: