Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

changes for displaced first class passenger on award ticket

changes for displaced first class passenger on award ticket

Old Jul 7, 18, 10:17 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
Posts: 1,640
changes for displaced first class passenger on award ticket

I booked a business-class multi-carrier *A itinerary using AC miles for which the shorter segments had only Y-cabin availability. UA calls this situation displaced first class passengers (J-ticket seated in Y due to availability). My questions are as follows:

1. If business class award seat becomes available on the identical flights currently ticketed, will AC charge a change fee to move into business class?

2. If business class award seat becomes available on a routing different from the ticketed flights, will AC charge a change fee to move into business class for the alternate routing?

Thanks in advance for sharing your advice about AC's award rules.
Totoro is offline  
Old Jul 7, 18, 10:29 pm
  #2  
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: FRA / YEG
Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Posts: 11,680
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
I booked a business-class multi-carrier *A itinerary using AC miles for which the shorter segments had only Y-cabin availability. UA calls this situation displaced first class passengers (J-ticket seated in Y due to availability). My questions are as follows:

1. If business class award seat becomes available on the identical flights currently ticketed, will AC charge a change fee to move into business class?

2. If business class award seat becomes available on a routing different from the ticketed flights, will AC charge a change fee to move into business class for the alternate routing?

Thanks in advance for sharing your advice about AC's award rules.
1) No fee if to upgrade a tiketed segment if the award was ticketed in a higher class of service.

2) Yes, unfortaunately a change fee would apply.
Jasper2009 is offline  
Old Jul 8, 18, 6:47 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: YEG
Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Posts: 2,902
OP, what are the shorter segments?
YEG_SE4Life is offline  
Old Jul 8, 18, 5:22 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
Posts: 1,640
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life View Post
OP, what are the shorter segments?
UA SFO-AUS and AUS-IAH. I would prefer to re-route SFO-IAH
Totoro is offline  
Old Jul 8, 18, 6:07 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YYC
Posts: 22,471
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
UA calls this situation displaced first class passengers (J-ticket seated in Y due to availability).
Strange name... Makes me think of a Syrian refugee travelling first class, or something. Aren't they "displaced persons?"
canadiancow likes this.
Stranger is offline  
Old Jul 8, 18, 6:16 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Posts: 34,970
I also don't understand the use of the word "displaced".

You're on the flight you booked, in the cabin you booked.
canadiancow is offline  
Old Jul 8, 18, 7:57 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
Posts: 1,640
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
I also don't understand the use of the word "displaced".

You're on the flight you booked, in the cabin you booked.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...6&postcount=23
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22812158-post2.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22813466-post8.html

Displaced passengers are people who have bought award tickets entitling them to a specific cabin, but space wasn't available at purchase. In this case, I paid for J-class but could find corresponding seat only on the TPAC segment. I settled for Y-cabin for the shorter segments and should be prioritized for domestic F before instrument-supported and complimentary upgrades.
Totoro is offline  
Old Jul 8, 18, 9:51 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Posts: 34,970
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...6&postcount=23
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22812158-post2.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22813466-post8.html

Displaced passengers are people who have bought award tickets entitling them to a specific cabin, but space wasn't available at purchase. In this case, I paid for J-class but could find corresponding seat only on the TPAC segment. I settled for Y-cabin for the shorter segments and should be prioritized for domestic F before instrument-supported and complimentary upgrades.
Your first link is about a UA tickets on UA metal, which this is not. The UA forum debates the actual priority, as well as the word "displaced".

Your next two posts are about someone who paid for an F fare that included a single-cabin segment. He bought F when there was no F available.

Your situation has F available, just not at a price you're willing to pay. There's a stark difference.
canadiancow is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: