Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada domestic J should serve full pre-departure beverages like United

Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)

I just flew on a United First (domestic) and United Business (transborder) and they served full items from the bar for pre take off beverage... Water, coke zero, vodka soda, with lime, etc, in a plastic cup. I thought it was a very nice touch. Air Canada should adopt this and improve their pre take off beverages. It really adds to the quality of the experience.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
United has never served alcoholic PDBs out of YYZ for me. They said it was a tax or duty issue or something.

So there could be issues out of certain provinces.

However, I'll take a Coke Zero.

Thanks.

Last edited by canadiancow; Jul 2, 2018 at 11:05 pm
Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Unless has never served alcoholic PDBs out of YYZ for me. They said it was a tax or duty issue or something.

Thanks.
Unless?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:56 pm

Programs: AC SE
Unless has never served alcoholic PDBs out of YYZ for me. They said it was a tax or duty issue or something.

Thanks.
I regularly get alcoholic PDBs at YYC on UA mainline flights. UA Express is a bit more mixed, so not sure if the UA Express carriers have different rules.

I definitely appreciate UA for being able to get a choice of PDB, whether it's an alcoholic drink or even a Diet Coke.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Unless?
United. Sorry. Auto-erect and all.

Originally Posted by gcashin
I regularly get alcoholic PDBs at YYC on UA mainline flights. UA Express is a bit more mixed, so not sure if the UA Express carriers have different rules.

I definitely appreciate UA for being able to get a choice of PDB, whether it's an alcoholic drink or even a Diet Coke.
Every excuse I've ever heard for lack of real PDBs is alcohol taxes.

Give me a Coke Zero.

That is all.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 1:23 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
United. Sorry. Auto-erect and all.
Auto Correct?

And yes, alcoholic Pre-departure beverages (PDBs) are served in J/F on legacy US airlines. Ex-Canada is spotty because some regionals do claim some tax reason for not opening booze. CP (yes, "CP" Compass airlines) regularly uses this excuse operating for DL.

I wouldn't want to see Air Canada try to juggle PDB and OTP.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:40 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
I wouldn't want to see Air Canada try to juggle PDB and OTP.
Don't think it has a big impact on UA OTP. Although it does sometimes require that FAs aggressively swim upstream in the flow of passengers. Is also hit and miss on UA for consistency even within the US. Is worse on United Express, but I've had a number of UA flights in the last few months with no PDB for no obvious reason. Having said all that, although it is a nice touch overall I still prefer the total AC offering to UA's "first"; a 3 hour flight with a basket of cheap snacks isn't offset by a PDB.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:45 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
United has never served alcoholic PDBs out of YYZ for me. They said it was a tax or duty issue or something.

Thanks.
In my experience domestic USA UA offers choice of pre-departure beverages in First or Business Class is ingrained.

It's also offered on Int'l flights but very occasionally flight attendants will only attempt to offer OJ/water/Sparkling Wine. I have heard that line about unable to open the liquor cart until in the air but in general ( I fly out of FRA/LHR-EWR mainly) there are no restrictions on PDB (except real champagne because that is the best/most expensive alcoholic offering) until airborn. YMMV. But I agree, it's a great United feature when it's on offer!
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:46 am

i get sparkling wine on my international flights out of YYZ....
guess for domestic/transborder there is still some 'prohibition' legacy Lol
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:34 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC

No issues with YOW, so perhaps a local issue
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by global happy traveller
i get sparkling wine on my international flights out of YYZ....
guess for domestic/transborder there is still some 'prohibition' legacy Lol
It's not like it's illegal.

I suspect it's just that Ontario charges some amount of money that airlines are more willing to pay for international J than for transborder J.

Either way, I think there are two issues:
1. Alcohol & taxes/duties - This has definitely affected me flying UA out of YYZ. I don't do that often, but I've done it multiple times, and I've never been allowed alcohol until airborne.
2. Non-alcoholic.

The second issue is more interesting to me, as they don't have the same tax/duty issue as alcohol, so it should be financially feasible to give me a Coke Zero.

However, AC has gone from water or OJ in cups (work for FAs) to water bottles (minimal work for FAs). I suspect this is more the reason. Having to take orders, open multiple cans/containers of beverages, pour them all, and serve them all, would be way more work than the OJ/water option that used to exist.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 10:39 pm

[

However, AC has gone from water or OJ in cups (work for FAs) to water bottles (minimal work for FAs). I suspect this is more the reason. Having to take orders, open multiple cans/containers of beverages, pour them all, and serve them all, would be way more work than the OJ/water option that used to exist.[/QUOTE]

Yeah....can't expect the FA's to work!! Shovel food at you and then hide for the rest of the flight has been my experience on most (not all) AC flights in business lately.
Bohemian1 and DrunkCargo like this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 1:31 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by pmaclell
Yeah....can't expect the FA's to work!! Shovel food at you and then hide for the rest of the flight has been my experience on most (not all) AC flights in business lately.
Signature service, not just business.. while they eat the meals they ran out of during order taking...

To be fair I seem to always get my first pick, so doesn't affect me.

As for OTP and PDB not affecting UA OTP, I think I said I'd hate to see "AC" juggle it. UA and DL ex-Yxx have always had good OTP for me, and when PDB is missed and pushback is early it usually earns me compensation... I find those routes don't miss PDB now... Funny how feedback works for some airlines.

As for AC doing PDB... Even when it was OJ or water, they poured from resealable containers so the remainder didn't get tossed. OAL if someone orders a mixer, the remainder of the can is dumped prior to pushback unless someone else orders. I find, since I sit either row 1 or rear of F depending on order of PDB service, when I order a Woodford or buffalo trace, the rest of F seems to go alcohol as well. It's like the first to break the ice helps the rest relax. It also reduces the wastage of half finished cans. Gotta help the environment somehow..

Also helping to evaporate some weight earlier as well!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.