Weekend Flight Pass

Old Jun 28, 18, 1:29 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 3,359
Weekend Flight Pass

Found this buried in a promotional email AC sent me yesterday:

The Weekend Flight Pass

Summary:
  • Prices:
    • Flights within North-Eastern corridor of Canada/USA are $146.75 per flight credit in Y or $563 per flight credit in J
    • Flights within Western Canada/US are $175 per flight credit in Y or $597.74 in J
    • Transcontinental flights (i.e. YYZ to SFO) are $299.25 in Y or $1,186 in J
  • Rules & Regulations
    • Flights must be booked 14 days in advance (somewhat diminishing value of flight pass) and there must be availability in the corresponding fare bucket for the date/time you select
    • Travel must be booked for Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays (or Monday if you pay choose long weekend option which is more)
    • Pass is valid for 12 months (extendable by 3 months for a surcharge)
    • Free changes on J flight pass or $75-$150 change fee depending on when you change
    • Complimentary seat selection
I'm debating whether to purchase this pass since my sister lives out on the Atlantic and it seems like a good deal at this price. What's less certain about the pass is what fare code this books into as that would determine how many UA miles I can get for these flights (i.e. Flex yields 100% PQM when flying in Canada whereas Tango only nets 50%).

Safe Travels,

James
FlyerTalker70 is offline  
Old Jun 28, 18, 2:13 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: YXT
Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
Posts: 539
The non-J pass books under Standard which is the renamed Tango class. As I recall from when I was looking at the pass, flight availability is based on S fare, so presumably it books into S.
somedude3210 is offline  
Old Jun 28, 18, 6:08 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 31,301
Originally Posted by somedude3210 View Post
The non-J pass books under Standard which is the renamed Tango class. As I recall from when I was looking at the pass, flight availability is based on S fare, so presumably it books into S.
I looked it up on the FP section of the website:

For the Standard fare option... it's S as you suspected.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eligibility:
  • The purchasing individual must be a Canadian resident with a valid Canadian address and be an Aeroplan member with a valid Aeroplan number and password at time of purchase AND during the validity period of the Flight Pass. For new enrolments, activation of a new Aeroplan membership may take up to 72 hours. The purchasing individual will be listed as the Flight Pass owner.
  • Travel agencies, wholesalers, consolidators, and other persons or entities engaged in the selling or distribution of air transportation or packages comprising air transportation are not eligible for the purchase of the Flight Pass.
  • Air Canada reserves the right at any time to determine and re-examine the purchase eligibility, as well as the right to modify or otherwise amend the eligibility requirements.
  • Air Canada reserves the right, at any time, to verify the status of the purchaser, including the verification of information provided by the purchase and making a request for additional information to ensure that the purchaser meets the Flight Pass purchase terms and conditions.
  • Flight Passes are non-refundable.
Availability Restrictions
  • The Standard fare is composed of the following booking classes, listed from the smallest inventory to the highest inventory: K, A, L, T, S, G, W, V, Q, H, U, and M.
  • Flight credit bookings using this Flight Pass are subject to the availability of the Standard S booking class only.
  • To view available flights and eligible itineraries prior to purchase, click on PREVIEW FLIGHT AVAILABILITY.
  • Space may be limited for bookings made close to the departure date and during peak travel periods. For this reason it is strongly recommended that Flight Credits be booked and confirmed as far in advance of travel as possible

Validity Period
  • This Flight Pass is valid for 12 consecutive months from date of purchase. Travel must be booked and completed within the validity period. All unused flight credits remaining beyond the Flight Pass expiration date will be forfeited. No extensions will be permitted. It will expire at 11:59 pm (GMT) on the one-year anniversary of its purchase date. Please make the necessary adjustments for your local time zone.
  • 1 month prior to pass expiration date, Flight Pass may be extended for 3 months for a $250 CAD fee, plus taxes. This fee is subject to change. Extension fee will be assessed at time of Flight Pass extension. Extension fee is subject to change at any time without notice.
  • A Flight Pass extension can be processed one time per pass and must be completed prior to pass expiration. All unused flight credits remaining beyond Flight Pass expiration date, or extended expiration date, will be forfeited.
yyznomad is offline  
Old Dec 1, 18, 1:15 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 3,359
Performed my monthly check of AC flight pass products and found that the pass is back (was discontinued in Sept 2018) and worse than ever:

Pricing is for 8 one-way credits in (Economy Standard) in the zones described below (prices in Ontario Dollars)
  • Eastern Shorthaul - $2,610 ($326.25/credit)
  • Western Shorthaul - $1,952 ($244/credit)
  • Transcontinental - $3,344 ($418/credit)
Eastern shorthaul are flights within the North East of Canada/USA (i.e. London to Saint John or Boston to Toronto). Western shorthaul are for flights between BC/AB and the Western US states (WA, OR, CA, NV). Finally, transcontinental basically covers flights within the Canadian provinces and to states in the lower 48.

Terms and conditions are slightly better than last time, namely you can book flights up to 3 days prior to departure (the older incarnation required booking 2 weeks in advance). In addition, these passes can be used by up to 2 travellers. That being said, they aren't nearly as cheap as the summer offer from AC (see first post in thread).

Summary of T&Cs:
  • 8 flight credits for up to 2 travellers
  • Travel within this zone for 12 consecutive months
  • Book flight flights a minimum of 3 days prior to departure
  • Travel on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays
  • Complimentary advance seat selection
  • Anytime changes online for a $75 fee
  • Same-day airport changes for only a $150 fee
  • Name changes for $125
  • Extend Flight Pass for three (3) months for $250
  • Earn up to 50% Aeroplan Miles (Altitude Qualifying Miles) for distance flown
  • Flight credit bookings are subject to the availability of the S booking class in Standard (see Terms and Conditions for details)
Safe Travels,

James
arf04 likes this.
FlyerTalker70 is offline  
Old Dec 1, 18, 2:36 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: YYZ, MNL, WAW
Programs: AC SE100K (*G), SPG*Plat50, United Silver, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Plat, Nexus/GE
Posts: 1,975
Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
I looked it up on the FP section of the website:

For the Standard fare option... it's S as you suspected.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eligibility:
  • The purchasing individual must be a Canadian resident with a valid Canadian address and be an Aeroplan member with a valid Aeroplan number and password at time of purchase AND during the validity period of the Flight Pass. For new enrolments, activation of a new Aeroplan membership may take up to 72 hours. The purchasing individual will be listed as the Flight Pass owner.
  • Travel agencies, wholesalers, consolidators, and other persons or entities engaged in the selling or distribution of air transportation or packages comprising air transportation are not eligible for the purchase of the Flight Pass.
  • Air Canada reserves the right at any time to determine and re-examine the purchase eligibility, as well as the right to modify or otherwise amend the eligibility requirements.
  • Air Canada reserves the right, at any time, to verify the status of the purchaser, including the verification of information provided by the purchase and making a request for additional information to ensure that the purchaser meets the Flight Pass purchase terms and conditions.
  • Flight Passes are non-refundable.
Availability Restrictions
  • The Standard fare is composed of the following booking classes, listed from the smallest inventory to the highest inventory: K, A, L, T, S, G, W, V, Q, H, U, and M.
  • Flight credit bookings using this Flight Pass are subject to the availability of the Standard S booking class only.
  • To view available flights and eligible itineraries prior to purchase, click on PREVIEW FLIGHT AVAILABILITY.
  • Space may be limited for bookings made close to the departure date and during peak travel periods. For this reason it is strongly recommended that Flight Credits be booked and confirmed as far in advance of travel as possible

Validity Period
  • This Flight Pass is valid for 12 consecutive months from date of purchase. Travel must be booked and completed within the validity period. All unused flight credits remaining beyond the Flight Pass expiration date will be forfeited. No extensions will be permitted. It will expire at 11:59 pm (GMT) on the one-year anniversary of its purchase date. Please make the necessary adjustments for your local time zone.
  • 1 month prior to pass expiration date, Flight Pass may be extended for 3 months for a $250 CAD fee, plus taxes. This fee is subject to change. Extension fee will be assessed at time of Flight Pass extension. Extension fee is subject to change at any time without notice.
  • A Flight Pass extension can be processed one time per pass and must be completed prior to pass expiration. All unused flight credits remaining beyond Flight Pass expiration date, or extended expiration date, will be forfeited.

So if I'm understanding this page https://www.aeroplan.com/static/pdf/...t_JUL27_EN.pdf correctly, booking class S would only yield 25% of the miles for flights within Canada, and 50% for flights to the US? Booking Class S appears to also be the lowest Tango fare class so the FP would only be worthwhile on flights that have low loads?

Sorry, I've been away for quite a while, so I may have missed several rule changes over the last several months...
CanRulez is offline  
Old Dec 1, 18, 2:38 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Posts: 35,138
Originally Posted by CanRulez View Post
So if I'm understanding this page https://www.aeroplan.com/static/pdf/...t_JUL27_EN.pdf correctly, booking class S would only yield 25% of the miles for flights within Canada, and 50% for flights to the US? Booking Class S appears to also be the lowest Tango fare class so the FP would only be worthwhile on flights that have low loads?

Sorry, I've been away for quite a while, so I may have missed several rule changes over the last several months...
That chart is very outdated.

S is the highest of the "low" fare classes. K is the lowest fare class. "Tango" (now "Standard") is an independent concept from fare classes.
CanRulez likes this.
canadiancow is online now  
Old Dec 1, 18, 2:47 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 31,301
Originally Posted by CanRulez View Post
So if I'm understanding this page https://www.aeroplan.com/static/pdf/...t_JUL27_EN.pdf correctly, booking class S would only yield 25% of the miles for flights within Canada, and 50% for flights to the US? Booking Class S appears to also be the lowest Tango fare class so the FP would only be worthwhile on flights that have low loads?

Sorry, I've been away for quite a while, so I may have missed several rule changes over the last several months...
As per cow, good luck catching up. Lots of rejigging of what you "knew".

Branded Fares; AC changes booking classes/fare classes for Tango & Flex

AC changes to North American fares: introduces Comfort, renames Tango to Standard
CanRulez likes this.
yyznomad is offline  
Old Dec 2, 18, 1:37 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: YYZ, MNL, WAW
Programs: AC SE100K (*G), SPG*Plat50, United Silver, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Plat, Nexus/GE
Posts: 1,975
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
That chart is very outdated.

S is the highest of the "low" fare classes. K is the lowest fare class. "Tango" (now "Standard") is an independent concept from fare classes.
Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
Holy schmoly. What the heck were they thinking? It was difficult enough trying to navigate the fare class alphabet soup, now we have to deal with this nonsense.
arf04 likes this.
CanRulez is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: