Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Claiming EU261 Compensation from AC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2022, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
AC Delayed/Cancelled Flight Compensation Threads

There are several threads on compensation for delayed/cancelled flights operated by AC.

If your question is about claiming compensation under EU rules (a.k.a. EU261 or EC261), this is the correct thread.

For information on which regime(s) you're eligible for compensation under, or which would be more favourable, please see: Air Canada Compensation For Delayed/Cancelled Flights

For information regarding APPR (Canadian regulations), please see: Claiming compensation from AC under APPR (Air Passenger Protection Regulations)
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Claiming EU261 Compensation from AC

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
If the flight out of Europe was on time, you have no grounds for an EC261 claim.
You sure about that? I thought it was final destination that counted?
And airlines don't cancel flights due to light loads. Why would you suspect that?
Not last minute. But ahead of time, surely they do. And of course the information might not have reached the OP. Still, in that case, there likely is no case for compensation, depending upon the window. (Actually in case of IRROPS they might cancel a different flight than the one affected if the load on that other flight is lighter. And/or if there are other options easily available.)
Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Stranger
You sure about that? I thought it was final destination that counted?
Time to final destination counts if there's an eligible delay, but an AC YYZ-BOS delay is not eligible.

Originally Posted by Stranger
Not last minute. But ahead of time, surely they do. And of course the information might not have reached the OP.

That's all true, but it doesn't sound like that's what happened.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Time to final destination counts if there's an eligible delay, but an AC YYZ-BOS delay is not eligible.
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...XC0615%2801%29
The Court (43) takes the view that a delay must be assessed for the purposes of the compensation provided for in Article 7 of the Regulation, in relation to the scheduled time of arrival at the passenger's final destination as defined in Article 2(h) of the Regulation, which in the case of directly connecting flights must be understood as the destination of the last flight taken by the passenger.In accordance with Article 3(1)(a), passengers who missed a connection within the EU, or outside the EU with a flight coming from an airport situated in the territory of a Member State, should be entitled to compensation, if they arrived at final destination with a delay of more than three hours. Whether the carrier operating the connecting flights is an EU carrier or a non-EU carrier is not relevant.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 3:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
AC YYZ-BOS arrival time only matters if the delay was caused by an ex-EU flight. But as soon as AC (a non-EU airline) completed the ex-EU flight on time, their obligations under EC 261 ended.

"passengers who missed a connection within the EU, or outside the EU with a flight coming from an airport situated in the territory of a Member State"

No connection was missed, because the first flight was on time.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
AC YYZ-BOS arrival time only matters if the delay was caused by an ex-EU flight. But as soon as AC (a non-EU airline) completed the ex-EU flight on time, their obligations under EC 261 ended.

"passengers who missed a connection within the EU, or outside the EU with a flight coming from an airport situated in the territory of a Member State"

No connection was missed, because the first flight was on time.
According to this website, it doesn't matter that the delay at the final destination was not caused by delay in the arrival of an ex-EU flight. Even if the delay was entirely outside the purview of the original BOD-YUL flight and solely regarding the YUL-BOS flight, it sounds like it's subject to EU 261.
https://www.euclaim.co.uk/blog/new-c...side-of-the-eu

see this article https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8388201.html

and here's the ruling, https://curia.europa.eu/jcms/upload/...cp180077en.pdf
Old Jul 14, 2019, 6:39 pm

Based on the above, it looks like we're due compensation unless AC can claim extraordinary circumstances for the cancelled and delayed flights..going back to my original post, can anyone answer these questions?

2. We don't know for sure the cause of the cancellation of 7554 and delay of 2076. We suspect 7554 was cancelled due to an extremely light load but don't know for sure. We also assume that 2076 was delayed because of catering and mechanical issues. How can we determine the "official" cause of the cancellation and delay and obtain flight details like shown above?

3. Assuming there are grounds for compensation, can I submit a claim for all the parties? or would they have to claim individually.

4. If I submit claim, can I do it for all four PNR's or do I need to submit separate claims.

5. Where and how should the claim be sent? Mail? email?

6. Is there a specific form to file claim, or just an explanation?
Old Jul 14, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by hughw
2. We don't know for sure the cause of the cancellation of 7554 and delay of 2076. We suspect 7554 was cancelled due to an extremely light load but don't know for sure. We also assume that 2076 was delayed because of catering and mechanical issues. How can we determine the "official" cause of the cancellation and delay and obtain flight details like shown above?
You can't. Experflyer descriptions for delays are only available within 24 hours after arrival. You need to just submit a claim, and ask for proof of delay if needed.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 12:00 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
You need to just submit a claim, and ask for proof of delay if needed.
The onus is on the airline to prove the delay was extraordinary, not on the passenger to prove it isn't. You should have a reasonable idea if it's a weather delay, but otherwise submit a claim.

Delay means to your final ticketed destination on the ticket, the routing and number of stops doesn't matter.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 3:25 pm

Based on the above, it looks like we're due compensation unless AC can claim extraordinary circumstances for the cancelled and delayed flights..going back to my original post, can anyone answer these questions?

3. Assuming there are grounds for compensation, can I submit a claim for all the parties? or would they have to claim individually.

4. If I submit claim, can I do it for all four PNR's or do I need to submit separate claims.

5. Where and how should the claim be sent? Mail? email?

6. Is there a specific form to file claim, or just an explanation?
Well, I received what I would consider an unresponsive response to the claims that I filed on line using the form provided. The response offered a 15% discount on a future flight and claimed that the delay was caused by Canadian airspace being closed to 737 MAX aircraft and that has disrupted the schedule, and as such the flight was operated by AC Rouge. Problem is that the flight they're speaking of which was originally on a 737MAX BOD-YUL was actually on time to YUL.... it was the connecting flights that were cancelled and delayed impacting arrival at the final destination of BOS. Any suggestions on how to pursue this further? email to customrelations? letter to corporate offices?
Old Jul 23, 2019, 6:00 pm

You can reply back to Customer Solutions and explain why you think their offer is inadequate. But if they continue to refuse to provide EU compensation, there's not much you can do short of taking them to court in Europe. It's a European law, so it has to be enforced in Europe. There are companies advertising on-line that will take them to court (or threaten to) for you if they think you have a strong enough case. They charge ~25% of the claim.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 5:58 am

Well, I received what I would consider an unresponsive response to the claims that I filed on line using the form provided. The response offered a 15% discount on a future flight and claimed that the delay was caused by Canadian airspace being closed to 737 MAX aircraft and that has disrupted the schedule, and as such the flight was operated by AC Rouge. Problem is that the flight they're speaking of which was originally on a 737MAX BOD-YUL was actually on time to YUL.... it was the connecting flights that were cancelled and delayed impacting arrival at the final destination of BOS. Any suggestions on how to pursue this further? email to customrelations? letter to corporate offices?
I received an additional response denying the claim (see below) saying that the delay was due to the AC connecting flight YUL-BOS and not the original flight from the EU community....true.
Air Canada submits that flight from Montreal to Boston on 2019/07/12 is not under the Scope of the EU Regulations 261/2004. Air Canada is not a Community carrier and this flight was departing from Canada and not the EU. In cases where flights are not operated by Community carriers, the EU Regulations 261/2004 applies where passengers are departing from an airport located in the territory of a Member State to which the Treaty applies.
.this is in direct contradiction to EU Court of Justice rulings (Wegener et al) that clearly state the opposite per quote from the court below...Before turning to a third party, is there any path within AC to escalate the claim? letter to the CEO?

By today’s judgment, the Court states, first, that a flight with one or more connections which is the subject of a single reservation constitutes a whole for the purposes of the right of passengers to compensation provided for in the regulation on the rights of air passengers. Accordingly, connecting flights of which the first flight was performed from an airport located in the territory of a Member State, in this case Prague, fall within the scope of that regulation even if the second of those connecting flights was performed by a non-Community carrier from and to a country which is not an EU Member State.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:09 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
I received an additional response denying the claim (see below) saying that the delay was due to the AC connecting flight YUL-BOS and not the original flight from the EU community....true.

.this is in direct contradiction to EU Court of Justice rulings (Wegener et al) that clearly state the opposite per quote from the court below...Before turning to a third party, is there any path within AC to escalate the claim? letter to the CEO?
Reply to them with that court decision and ask them to explain how EU261 doesn't apply.
flyquiet likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by pewpew
Reply to them with that court decision and ask them to explain how EU261 doesn't apply.
I did, very politely....and added links to the court decisions and quotes from the decisions....they essentially blew me off with this curt response with zero further explanation beyond their original denial which said it was because the delay involved a connecting flight departing Canada and not the EU....and that is precisely what the court decisions addressed saying explicitly that if the flights were ticketed together it was treated as a single flight from the EU

"We regret we did not conclude this matter to your satisfaction. In our previous email, we provided our explanations. Continuing to exchange emails will not change our position. Respectfully, we consider this matter closed."
Old Aug 15, 2019, 2:11 pm

This may be a bridge to far for some of us, but I've found forms online where you can take a complaint directly to the national authorities from where the flight originated if you're not satisfied with the airline's response.

Here's the general English complaint form...https://ec.europa.eu/transport/sites...nt_form_en.pdf

Here's the addresses for all the national authorities... https://ec.europa.eu/transport/sites...ent_bodies.pdf

And in my case, leaving from France, here's the form in French from the French authorities. you need to download the PDF by clicking the appropriate place on the top of the form
https://www.formulaires.modernisatio...numCerfa=13675
Old Sep 29, 2019, 7:37 am

EU261 success after being turned down!

Earlier posts detail my ill-fated attempts to receive compensation for six family members who were delayed over 4 hours on their return trip to Boston from Bordeaux connecting in Montreal. While the BOD-YUL flight was on time, the YUL-BOS segment was subject to the long delay. AC turned down my request curtly and indicated that since that flight was from a non-europeans community nation to another non-community nation that it wasn't subject to EU261.

I decided to make one last attempt and wrote an email directly to Twyla Robinson, General Manager, Customer Relations & Executive Centre. I politely pointed out that I believed the prior denials of compensation were ill-informed and that the entire flight should be viewed as a single flight under the rulings of the European Court of Justice in the Wegener and the České/Etihad cases. I included pdf's of both those rulings in my email. At the end of my email, I said "In light of what seems to be the clear applicability of EU/EC 261, I would appreciate your review of our claim. We are hopeful that Air Canada will do what is right and and responsible. Failing a satisfactory response, it seems that we're left with little choice but to engage a third party to pursue the claim in the appropriate EU court and to file a report with DGAC Air Transport Directorate in Paris."

A week later, I received an email from a customer relations manager at AC stating "In this instance, we remain of the opinion that the compensation requested under EC Regulations does not apply. However, in the interest of concluding this amicably, on a goodwill basis, we will provide the compensation of 600 EUR per person. Converted to US Dollars at the current rate of exchange, the amount each person will receive is $662 USD. The compensation will be paid by bank draft (cheque). "

Naturally, I'm gratified that AC stepped up and did the right thing. I still don't know, and it doesn't really matter at this point, was if the earlier denial was due to an ill-informed agent that thought the EX-YUL flight didn't count, or if it was AC policy to initially refuse in the hope that the claimant would go away, Obviously, by stating this was a "goodwill" gesture instead of compliance with EU261, they want to not set precedent for future claims. We're satisfied that the higher-ups at AC took the claim seriously and examined it on the merits.....and my family members (four who are college students) are delighted to each receive a $662.00 USD check which arrived yesterday, two weeks after the notification from AC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.