Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: How does AC's Premium Economy compare to others?

Old Jun 25, 2018, 11:42 am
Original Poster

How does AC's Premium Economy compare to others?

I'll be trying out PE on a trip between YYZ and LAX in a couple of months, to see if the hard and soft product is worth the extra moolah. Next year, we'll be doing a Mini-RTW on airlines that may or may not have released J product yet. We hope that if we end up not getting J on some legs, at least we'll be able to get PE as more airlines are introducing it. Which has made me think - how does AC's PE hold up against others?
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by hazcaddy
I'll be trying out PE on a trip between YYZ and LAX in a couple of months, to see if the hard and soft product is worth the extra moolah. Next year, we'll be doing a Mini-RTW on airlines that may or may not have released J product yet. We hope that if we end up not getting J on some legs, at least we'll be able to get PE as more airlines are introducing it. Which has made me think - how does AC's PE hold up against others?
Answer: Poorly.

That said, YYZ LAX is likely somewhat different to their international offering. And most/many (?) airlines don't really offering a domestic PE option.

I mean, the seat and overall hard product will be the same. The lack of a curtain to Y will be the same, the inconsistent service will likely be the same ... but I assume there's just one meal which will be more J like than Y like (which on that route would be, nothing).

AC's PE hard product is generally what I'd describe as less bad than their Y product. The recline is greater, the width slightly increased, and it's 2-3-2 or 2-4-2 vs 3-3-3 or 3-4-3, and you get extra leg room, the latter of which you can also get via a preferred seat.
You'll also get priority checkin and boarding, though not security without status. MLL access is $25 as it would be with Latitude.

But compared to many other airlines that offer PE as a dedicated cabin? It falls far short. And that's fine when it costs less than Tango or $25 more than Flex. When it's $300 more in each direction? I'll pay for a preferred seat at $100, check a 2nd bag at $25, buy Lounge access at $50, have a nice meal before I depart (not in the MLL), etc... (Actually, I won't do the 2nd bag or MLL but you get the idea). It's not worth the premium they charge, imo.

Also 787 PE > 777 PE, as does 787 Y due to not being HD.

Others may disagree. As always.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: TK *G
Are you familiar with PE on any other airlines? Let us know the ones you are familiar with, so we can have something to compare with.

For AC PY, the seat is very similar to the J seats you can find on most of the narrow body aircraft. For YYZ-LAX you will get a hot meal for free in PY. You can find pictures of the meal if you search this forum. Priority check-in/boarding/baggage are also very beneficial if you are not *G.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by songsc
Are you familiar with PE on any other airlines? Let us know the ones you are familiar with, so we can have something to compare with.

For AC PY, the seat is very similar to the J seats you can find on most of the narrow body aircraft. For YYZ-LAX you will get a hot meal for free in PY. You can find pictures of the meal if you search this forum. Priority check-in/boarding/baggage are also very beneficial if you are not *G.
This is true, if comparing AC PY vs BA PY you're going to get a different answer vs NZ PY.

Just in case OP has lower status, P25/E35 also get priority check in (and 2 bags) and E35 gets boarding priority (and security). Baggage priority is indeed an E50/*G benefit, if the airlines you are flying to actually acknowledge it.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by jc94
This is true, if comparing AC PY vs BA PY you're going to get a different answer vs NZ PY.
+1. And one more thing to note is that AC PY has "enhanced" so much year over year, So OP when you search for pictures make sure those are from recent years. AC PY was much better in 2014/15.
jc94 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
In my experience: NZ > AC > LH

NZ has standout seats and food. AC and LH have roughly comparable seats but AC offers a main meal that is better than LH (who just serve the Y meal on upgraded china).

I do think it is a good mid-point between J and Y with more comfortable seating and somewhat enhanced service. AC's PE experience is also better on 787 and 330 than 777 due to ability to access a lav up front.

Agree with @songsc that the product isn't as good on AC as it was when first introduced when there was a curtain dividing PE from Y and the meals were a reduced selection of the same main course as J.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Just in case OP has lower status, P25/E35 also get priority check in (and 2 bags) and E35 gets boarding priority (and security).
OP used to have the entrance to the T1 parking garage at YYZ programmed as "Home" in his car's GPS, but since I retired I don't have status any longer. The baggage, check-in, and boarding benefits are part of the reason for doing the PY thing to LAX, along with more room for old bones and the food and drinks. I can handle 5 hours in PY (even in Y with a Preferred seat) but wouldn't consider it for a TPAC. I'm more interested in finding out after I try AC's PY, is it similar/better/worse than others, so I'll know what to expect (sort of) on other *A airlines.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 1:55 pm

+1. And one more thing to note is that AC PY has "enhanced" so much year over year, So OP when you search for pictures make sure those are from recent years. AC PY was much better in 2014/15.
Definitely in the past year AC’s PY has been much reduced in the quality of the experience. The removal of the curtain really wrecked any sense of a separate cabin. On my last PY flight the steady stream of Y pax heading to the toilet got to be quite ridiculous. It just never stopped. And then, the wonderful irony that the elevator to the YYZ domestic MLL has a wrap-around photo of the PY cabin complete with a closed curtain to emphasize the specialness of the cabin.

To answer the OP, having flown AC and BA in PY I would say that BA was superior in most respects. As long as all your expectation is that you get a wider seat with more legroom, then you will find PY to be more than adequate on AC.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
I recently flew PY on the 77L and the 77W. I agree with jc94 above. Meh.

I was in row 14 for both legs so didn’t get the full recline, but the seat in front did, so it was a bit close. (Should have checked SeatGuru.) Other than that the seat is nicer than Y, but for the money I’d be tempted to book an exit row seat in Y and not be too much more unhappy.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:14 pm

I’m guilty of this in many posts but for any other future readers with limited FT/board awareness be aware that “enhanced” has a special meaning here as let the 2nd half of songsc’ post,

AC enhancements normally refer to things that improve ACs bottom line without doing anything positive for the end user.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: *G
AC PY has gone up and down since inception - but my most recent domestic experience showed a slight improvement. PY gets free booze (albeit the Y products) domestically, and the service is completed separately from Y, so meal was cleared and another drink available before FAs disappeared completely into Y. The previous time I had flown it, the PY meal was handed out as the cart set out on the long haul to the back of Y and you never saw an FA until the whole of Y was served.

But compared to NZ, it's no contest. Maybe it has changed also, but a dedicated FA and superior wines made a huge difference on NZ.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:24 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by fin 645
But compared to NZ, it's no contest. Maybe it has changed also, but a dedicated FA and superior wines made a huge difference on NZ.
Agreed. And the superior wine thing really ticks me off.

Last time I flew them, it was almost 100% NZ wines. Decent wines too.

And here we are in Canada and our flag carrier can't bother to serve predominantly Canadian wines.
gcashin likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 6:35 pm
Original Member

Answer: Poorly.

That said, YYZ LAX is likely somewhat different to their international offering. And most/many (?) airlines don't really offering a domestic PE option.

I mean, the seat and overall hard product will be the same. The lack of a curtain to Y will be the same, the inconsistent service will likely be the same ... but I assume there's just one meal which will be more J like than Y like (which on that route would be, nothing).

AC's PE hard product is generally what I'd describe as less bad than their Y product. The recline is greater, the width slightly increased, and it's 2-3-2 or 2-4-2 vs 3-3-3 or 3-4-3, and you get extra leg room, the latter of which you can also get via a preferred seat.
You'll also get priority checkin and boarding, though not security without status. MLL access is $25 as it would be with Latitude.

But compared to many other airlines that offer PE as a dedicated cabin? It falls far short. And that's fine when it costs less than Tango or $25 more than Flex. When it's $300 more in each direction? I'll pay for a preferred seat at $100, check a 2nd bag at $25, buy Lounge access at $50, have a nice meal before I depart (not in the MLL), etc... (Actually, I won't do the 2nd bag or MLL but you get the idea). It's not worth the premium they charge, imo.

Also 787 PE > 777 PE, as does 787 Y due to not being HD.

Others may disagree. As always.
They might claim the MLL fee is only $25 for PE, but good luck with that:

Otherwise, I'd say my only experience with Air Canada Premium Economy Less Brutal Economy compared very poorly with my only experience with WestJet Plus (for which I paid about half the Air Canada fare.)
Old Jun 25, 2018, 6:54 pm

Honestly I’ve probably only purchased Lounge access about a dozen times, as there is little point domestically where I tended to either have access by status or fare, used a pass, or did without. But I’ve never paid more than $28.25; $25 plus tax.

It’s an advertised benefit and I think that includes the cost, $25 for Lat/PY, $40 Comfort and $50 Flex. If AC tried to charge me $50 for NEO I’d be calling in as I suspect it’s an IT issue (surely not).

Not saying it didn’t happen, just that it should not. Of course, there are stories on here where people couldn’t physically purchase for no good reason either so ... YMMV.

End of the day, being able to buy lounge access even at LHR/FRA isn’t worth buying up to PY for, not alone!
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
I'm wondering if @KenHamer got charged $50 because he booked access to two lounges - YVR and then YUL since he was connecting.
DrunkCargo likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.