Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Best use of 38k points from NYC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Best use of 38k points from NYC

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2018, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United | Delta | MileagePlus, Marriott
Best use of 38k points from NYC

I have a few Aeroplan points (38,000) that are about to expire.Where can I go with that in July/August departing from NYC (I can use LGA, JFK or EWR)Is there an efficient way to figure out what's possible without trying each possible destination/dates?Thank you in advance.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Zorg
I have a few Aeroplan points (38,000) that are about to expire.Where can I go with that in July/August departing from NYC (I can use LGA, JFK or EWR)Is there an efficient way to figure out what's possible without trying each possible destination/dates?Thank you in advance.
Here is the Aeroplan flight rewards chart.

https://www.aeroplan.com/use-your-mi...-rewards-chart
Zorg likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks a lot!
Old Jun 24, 2018, 1:25 am

One thing to remember with Aeroplan is that you can add in an additional point of interest in North America for free (so long as it isn't way out of the way). For instance, NY to LA to SF then back to NY would cost you the same as NY to LA roundtrip! Also keep in mind that one-way tickets half the number of miles as "roundtrip" ones (i.e. 12,500 miles). Hence with the mileage you have you should be able to do a multi-city North American trip and a one-way trip in North America. In terms of airports LGA and EWR are your best bets since those are the only airports that have *A carriers (UA and AC).

Safe Travels,

James
Zorg likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 4:28 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by j2simpso
One thing to remember with Aeroplan is that you can add in an additional point of interest in North America for free (so long as it isn't way out of the way). For instance, NY to LA to SF then back to NY would cost you the same as NY to LA roundtrip! Also keep in mind that one-way tickets half the number of miles as "roundtrip" ones (i.e. 12,500 miles). Hence with the mileage you have you should be able to do a multi-city North American trip and a one-way trip in North America. In terms of airports LGA and EWR are your best bets since those are the only airports that have *A carriers (UA and AC).

Safe Travels,

James
That's party true. You cannot do that type of routing on a 25k short haul unless it is all AC medal. So you could do NYC-YYZ-YVR with a stopover, but not the example you provided as it would be on UA medal.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 5:33 am

Consider making a transaction on the account extending the expiry for 12 months. This will give you more flexibility of choosing your flights and not be tied in to July/August time frame.
24left likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyzgigi
That's party true. You cannot do that type of routing on a 25k short haul unless it is all AC medal. So you could do NYC-YYZ-YVR with a stopover, but not the example you provided as it would be on UA medal.
You're thinking of the 15k shorthaul. 25k redemptions do not require AC metal.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
You're thinking of the 15k shorthaul. 25k redemptions do not require AC metal.
Thanks for the correction. Yeah I knew 15k awards were AC only. I must be mis-remembering the stop over rule, but I swear at some point in the past with UA, CO and US there used to be a limitation there.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by j2simpso

Safe Travels,

James
Thanks, that's very tempting!
I was thinking going to Cleveland with UA but I might be a little more ambitious now.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 6:58 pm

Thanks, that's very tempting!
I was thinking going to Cleveland with UA but I might be a little more ambitious now.
N.B. - NY to Cleveland would still be considered 25,000 miles since the 15,000 mile short haul routes are only applicable on AC flights (i.e. Toronto to New York on AC).

Those 25,000 mile rewards are arguably one of the most lucrative ones since you can fly anywhere in US/Canada (except Hawaii). In theory you could do something crazy like New York to Anchorage on the outbound, then on the way back stop over in San Francisco for a few days before heading back to New York (unsure what the MPM would be on that routing but doesn't seem too far out of the way). In fact you are only around 7,500 miles away from booking a Hawaii award (ideal for winter in NY) which you could pull a similar stunt (i.e. New York to Honolulu on outbound, then stop over in LA or SF for instance on way to/from Hawaii).

Safe Travels,

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.