Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to Maximize the J Experience

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2018, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by RangerNS
If you aren't in the bulkhead, yes. Loop the cover into the seatback flap which can't have any other purpose.
front seats have a metal bar on the front wall allowing you to loop the ipad case flap cover as well
YVRPPL likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 6:59 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Again, a lot of posts are contaminated with negativity and indifference.
And possibly hundreds if not thousands of butt-in-seat hours that allow them to be not as enamored of AC as you are.

Yes it is a decent hard product, my problem is first class attitude and pricing for a still too often not first class experience from the soft product (staff mostly).

I hear you about the first time in J being special, I really do. I still maintain it is better to manage expectations on many airlines, including AC.

We didn't pull "AC: consistently inconsistent" out of our butt just as a way to be negative. They earn it every day.

EDIT: We travel J mostly for leisure and I always pay out of my pocket (with some reward tickets thrown in which are never on AC) which may influence my way of seeing things obviously.
jc94 likes this.

Last edited by Admiral Ackbar; Jun 22, 2018 at 1:29 pm
Old Jun 22, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: AC Altitude SE100K, HH Diamond
Context and perspective are everything. As someone who travels frequently, I tend to look at AC's product somewhat critically. My wife and kids however think they're receiving the royal treatment when in AC's J cabin. (I will say that after flying in J on several Asian and European airlines earlier this year, my wife's eyes have been opened a bit)
Old Jun 22, 2018, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by AleEat
Context and perspective are everything. As someone who travels frequently, I tend to look at AC's product somewhat critically. My wife and kids however think they're receiving the royal treatment when in AC's J cabin. (I will say that after flying in J on several Asian and European airlines earlier this year, my wife's eyes have been opened a bit)
Mine was the opposite, first we flew nice airlines together (CX, LX, TG, OS), then she flew UA, and was indifferent, and then AA and AC (both of which I am not allowed to book anymore)
Old Jun 22, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
Smile

Originally Posted by YVRPPL

Other than visiting the Signature Suite in YYZ (we are on paid J), is there anything else we should know / utilize on our trip in J? Also, does anyone have experience with the BCN or YUL Priority Pass lounges (are they worth using four of my annual passes)? Any insights or advice would be much appreciated.
As you're in paid J, you should have access to the MLL at YUL rather than having to go to a Priority Pass Lounge. (Just show your BCN-YUL BP along with your YUL-YVR one). I don't know BCN, but again you should be able to access the lounge that AC uses for its premium passengers.

If it's your first time in J, then you'll enjoy the experience regardless. Remember that after they've been around with the drink and meal carts, most crew will spontaneously offer top-ups throughout the flight. And if they don't you can just ask and not get the same kind of attitude that you sometimes get in Y. Beware, though, that after a few segments in J, it's awfully hard to go back to Y.

Old Jun 22, 2018, 12:41 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by AleEat
Ditto for Ms. Boh when she flew in Air New Zealand J and saw what a soft product should look like. Attitude aside, given Air New Zealand's focus on local product, she still wonders why AC doesn't feature Canadian wines on their flights. It's all relative I guess.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by jasdou
I feel really bad for the OP. The level of negativity on this forum can sometimes be toxic. The whole J experience is amazing, even on AC, when you are used to travelling in economy. Several posters on this board are hostile or at best indifferent towards AC and will take every occasion to spill their venom. Is AC the bestest most extraordinary travel experience in the world? Of course not. But it is still pretty darn good and well worth enjoying when taking your GF on a holiday in Europe. Context is key in everything. When you are travelling in J on a weekly basis on OPM, of course you start being nit-picky but that is not what this thread is about.
This is not negativity, but objective observation.

See here for the justification:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29879985-post205.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29880339-post210.html
Old Jun 22, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Academic
As you're in paid J, you should have access to the MLL at YUL rather than having to go to a Priority Pass Lounge. (Just show your BCN-YUL BP along with your YUL-YVR one). I don't know BCN, but again you should be able to access the lounge that AC uses for its premium passengers.
The OP is not in paid J on the return, but in PE.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: E35K
Thanks for all the advice and honesty everyone, I definitely have a better idea now of what to expect with the "Soft Product" and what to look out for.

A few last questions:

I Looked in the Signature Suite thread but wasn't able to find an answer...is the bar there able to make a Negroni? I remember trying to order one at the bar in the YVR MLL in April and they said they weren't able to.

Also what is the proper etiquette for talking during the flight? We are sitting in the middle seats (with small central wall), would we be getting dirty looks if we talked during the daytime YVR-YYZ flight?

Originally Posted by BenSenise
the BCN lounges are really nothing special. Last time I was in one, it was in a deplorable state with garbage everywhere. The pax are absolute slobs and there are very few employees cleaning up after them.
there are nice shops and a few restaurants at the airport so you could spend your time at those and you wouldn't be missing anything.
Thanks for the heads up!
Old Jun 22, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by YVRPPL
Thanks for all the advice and honesty everyone, I definitely have a better idea now of what to expect with the "Soft Product" and what to look out for.

A few last questions:

I Looked in the Signature Suite thread but wasn't able to find an answer...is the bar there able to make a Negroni? I remember trying to order one at the bar in the YVR MLL in April and they said they weren't able to.

Also what is the proper etiquette for talking during the flight? We are sitting in the middle seats (with small central wall), would we be getting dirty looks if we talked during the daytime YVR-YYZ flight?

Thanks for the heads up!
I would be amazed if they couldn’t make a Negroni in the SSL. MLL and in the air good luck

People talk all the time especially during the day, I wouldn’t worry about it. I’d book the side seats if possible though as it’s more private.

My personal pet peeves on flights regardless of cabin are screaming/shouting (any age), people who won’t close blinds (less of an issue in the 787s), and people spraying light pollution for no valid reason (ie: not watching IFE). The last two mainly an issue on overnights though. And of course shaving or cutting nails in seat etc ...

Old Jun 22, 2018, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jasdou
The whole J experience is amazing, even on AC, when you are used to travelling in economy.
Surely "amazing" is too strong a word.

Sure, J is significantly better than Y. Getting more so as Y is getting worse. As surely that is the least one can expect.

But when it comes to food and treatment, J is no longer as good now than Y was when I started flying. Even significantly worse than when I started flying in J, around 20 years ago, even though upgrading and getting AE J tickets was much less costly than today. What is true is that seats are better. This said, I was always able to sleep reasonably OK in the barcalounge types.

OTOH, when I started flying F was indeed amazing and J did not exist.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Academic
OP is correct that their ticket do not entitle lounge access on the return.

IIRC - Premium Rouge in BCN-YUL is positioned as PE rather than J for lounge access purpose. Unless OP is a *G, OP would not be entitled for lounge access. Indeead, AC says MLL access can be purchased.

Again - YUL-YVR is PE rather than Premium Rouge. So OP's party would not be entitled for lounge access as well.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 3:37 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Stranger

Sure, J is significantly better than Y. Getting more so as Y is getting worse. As surely that is the least one can expect.

But when it comes to food and treatment, J is no longer as good now than Y was when I started flying. Even significantly worse than when I started flying in J, around 20 years ago, even though upgrading and getting AE J tickets was much less costly than today. What is true is that seats are better. This said, I was always able to sleep reasonably OK in the barcalounge types.

Again, that's where context comes in, if the OP is younger who did not fly 20 years ago then what happened 20 years ago irrelevant for him. For someone who flew AC in Y in the past 10 years, AC J is quite amazing in terms of the seat, food, and service. Of course OP's perspective will change if he flies other airlines and have more experiences to compare.

One thing that I haven't seen anyone mentioned is the BMW valet service for Domestic to International J connecting passengers at YYZ. Not sure if you need to book that ahead of time.
canadiancow and jasdou like this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 5:29 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Stranger

Originally Posted by m.y
Again, that's where context comes in, if the OP is younger who did not fly 20 years ago then what happened 20 years ago irrelevant for him. For someone who flew AC in Y in the past 10 years, AC J is quite amazing in terms of the seat, food, and service. Of course OP's perspective will change if he flies other airlines and have more experiences to compare.

One thing that I haven't seen anyone mentioned is the BMW valet service for Domestic to International J connecting passengers at YYZ. Not sure if you need to book that ahead of time.
Indeed, I wasn’t exactly comparing today’s J with Y from the good old days. Context is indeed key here. And yes, I would certainly consider the current AC J experience to be amazing when compared to the current AC Y experience.

I hope my point is clear enough now.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
On my first J flight I stood in the economy line and took regular security.

​​​​​​A friend sat on the floor of a cancelled flight for hours instead of waiting at a lounge. He may identify himself if he/she wishes to. What a noob.
So, are you eguing that person on? How daregu.
Oh, and it's FOTSG, not noob, you FOTSG.
And no, I'm not identifying myself.

@SparseFlyer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.