Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC contractor Air Georgian had faulty maintenance (2019 Update; AC ends contract)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC contractor Air Georgian had faulty maintenance (2019 Update; AC ends contract)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: 35 K
Originally Posted by YOWCDNFF
Ac.com appears to show the new YQL schedule (with 3 flights a day vs the current 5) but aircraft type and operator yet to be updated. YXH is going from 4 to 2 and YXC is gone from YYC around May
I can see them exiting the YXH market now also. I tried booking flights for Xmas and the only ones out are showing 10:20 and 16:30 makes it useless for most connectors. I have been on the 5:20 and seen it full many times. Westjet shows a 7:00 flight.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:02 am

Oh Air Canada.... enhance!

Originally Posted by eracerblue
It will be interesting to see what AC does on the YYC-YXC route. I don’t have stats handy, but I believe pax have been steadily increasing the last 10+ yrs in YXC. The ~3x WS flights a day on 34 pax Saab 340b’s seem to have significant ridership, and the one I took was packed to the gills. It seems AC misjudged this market, and drove customers away - perhaps upgauging would bring people back.

Cranbrook Airport Manager "Very Disappointed" in Air Canada Discontinuing Cranbrook-to-Calgary Flights - Summit 107 FM
Air Canada was moving around 15,000 passengers per year between Cranbrook and Calgary, but says that number grew to a record 40,000 in 2018.
This appears to be a misquote, unless the 40,000 number includes people avoiding the BEH to fly through YYC-YVR-YXC (would not surprise me). But this larger number and massive increase may represent WestJet’s YXC-YYC service. Would AC support 1 or 2 DH1’s a day? You cannot discern that from BEH + Air Georgian stats.

Originally Posted by eracerblue
As for YXC-YVR, most DH3 flights are full or close to it, with the exception of the new 6am flight. They could easily upgauge that route too, with 1-2x/weekday on DH4’s or CRx’s. Heck, I expect reviving jet service would drive a good chunk of new business.

BREAKING: Air Canada to Discontinue Regional Flights Between Cranbrook and Calgary - Summit 107 FM
Flights between Cranbrook and YVR will continue to be operated 2 times daily with two 78-seat Q-400 aircraft
Wow - I should have just said CRA’s and willed it into existence! If AC would do a little homework, they would find that many people would rather drive to Kalispell, Spokane, etc to seek jet service. Oh well, the upgauge is nice, though thankfully the schedule shows 1x DH4 Q400 and 2x DH3’s most days to YVR. Sadly the (too) early morning flight is gone, just as silently as it arrived!

Last edited by eracerblue; Feb 15, 2019 at 5:24 pm
Old Feb 7, 2020, 2:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
https://business.financialpost.com/t...tcy-protection

A company that flew 1.5 million passengers a year as an Air Canada sub-contractor has taken the first step toward bankruptcy protection after the bigger airline ended for good their low-profile out-sourcing arrangement.

Air Georgian last week filed what’s called a notice of intent to make a proposal under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act, its chief source of income cut off by Air Canada in late January.

Many of Georgian’s employees have begun receiving layoff notices, says one of their unions, despite being earlier promised jobs at other carriers.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:40 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
I believe many if not all the pilots are being taken by Jazz.
It's a pilots market right. Plus their probably glad to be not part of a troubled carrier which had lots of issues.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:55 pm

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by james dean
I believe many if not all the pilots are being taken by Jazz.
It's a pilots market right. Plus their probably glad to be not part of a troubled carrier which had lots of issues.
Yes, Jazz has already ran several ground schools for GGN pilots moving over. I know of some GGN pilots also moving directly to AC mainline. Hopefully no layoffs for the pilot group. Disappointing to see them laying off flight attendants who were told they had jobs at AC though.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Our company got our notice of intention to Make a Proposal (as a creditor) from them today. The list of creditors owed $250 or more shows a total amount owing of $16.7 million.

The creditors owed over $500K include:
  • Air Canada Capital $2.2 million
  • Air Canada Lease $1.4 million
  • Standard Aero Alliance $1.1 million
  • Air Canada $1.0 million
  • AVMAX Aircraft Leasing $978K
  • AAR Corp $944K
  • CAE $842K
  • Delta airlines $662K
  • AVMAX Spares $590K
  • Bombardier (2 entities) $557K
Looks like they were pretty up to date on payments to the GTAA but way behind to US airports like Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Charlotte, Kansas City, Columbus, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Memphis, Omaha, Detroit and Cleveland.who look like they are collectively owed almost $1 million.
Nitehawk likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.