Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC contractor Air Georgian had faulty maintenance (2019 Update; AC ends contract)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC contractor Air Georgian had faulty maintenance (2019 Update; AC ends contract)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 5:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
So no more 18-seater BEH flying out west? What will happen to YYC-YQL/YXH/YXC?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, Avis Preferred Plus
Finally. I lost count how many times I have been late because of these guys and their constant mechanical issues .
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by YYC009
There are other companies that can fill the gap should AC choose to use them. CMA for one.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
Originally Posted by eigenvector
There are other companies that can fill the gap should AC choose to use them. CMA for one.
I did more reading and noted this:

Chorus will secure preferred partner status on the operation of aircraft with up to 50 seats through a right to match third-party offers, thus enhancing growth opportunities.

It leads me to think that AC is getting out of the BEH and DH1 markets if Jazz and Georgian won't operate BEH or DH1 aircraft. So it looks like EVAS will operate BEH out east unless that relationship ends too. And all DH1 aircraft is ending sooner rather than later. AC isn't going to play and fly to small markets anymore. Meaning markets like YYC-YQL/YXH/YXC are either getting cut or may only operate once or twice a day on DH3 aircraft.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:44 pm

Programs: Air Canada 50K, Marriott Gold,
Any idea when Air Georgian will stop operating AC Express flights?
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:54 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by YEG USER
I've heard a few things about Georgian from some insiders, and I don't want to elaborate for fear of getting certain people in trouble. The things I'd heard were that while there were some concerns, the story blew them out of proportion. I'd heard stories about the guy from the original NP "whistleblower" story while he was still employed there before any of this stuff came out - all I'll say is that in this case I'd take his story with a grain of salt and lean towards the airline's position of it being an ex employee with an axe to grind.
Except that the safety audits and customer complaints were not positive. The TSB investigation findings were the coupe de grace.
As has been pointed out, it is a win win for 2 of the 3 vested interests; Air crews have option to transfer to Jazz, Rouge or AC mainline and customers have access to a better network. Maybe Georgian will merge with Porter or sell out to another regional.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
Contractor that operates thousands of Air Canada flights had faulty maintenance, safety-management: federal investigation National Post

A company that provides thousands of Air Canada-branded flights annually had flawed safety-management, quality-control and maintenance systems, which helped trigger a landing-gear breakdown and tense emergency landing two years ago, a federal investigation has concluded.
in an internal memo, Georgian said the TSB’s investigator showed bias, bullied employees and acted insensitively toward staff whose first language was not English. And it has called the allegations of current and former employees false and in some cases motivated by revenge.
Sounds like the attitude of a company I do not want to fly with...

A few years ago, visiting a friend via one of AG’s BEH, he started telling me about the horrible safety record... I wasn’t clear if he meant AG, BEH’s, or both, and asked him to not share any more due to my return flight. He used to work in the industry, not for AG.

It will be interesting to see what AC does on the YYC-YXC route. I don’t have stats handy, but I believe pax have been steadily increasing the last 10+ yrs in YXC. The ~3x WS flights a day on 34 pax Saab 340b’s seem to have significant ridership, and the one I took was packed to the gills. It seems AC misjudged this market, and drove customers away - perhaps upgauging would bring people back. As for YXC-YVR, most DH3 flights are full or close to it, with the exception of the new 6am flight. They could easily upgauge that route too, with 1-2x/weekday on DH4’s or CRx’s. Heck, I expect reviving jet service would drive a good chunk of new business.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Yikes. Had no idea about some of these issues. And doesn’t exactly make me feel good about flying CVG-YYZ nonstop on Friday. I often fly UA via ORD (which I am for the return), but occasionally do these non-stop when it makes sense cost and/or convenience-wise. And doesn’t really make me want to book this non-stop again.

I wonder when Jazz will take over. Just looked at booking into Jan 2020 and still shows Air Georgian. Also wonder how long the safety issues will take to fix, given these will likely be the same aircraft being flown by a different carrier. Who knows how long the maintenance definciancies can lag and be problematic, even if they are properly maintained going forward.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:25 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
To all the alarmists: the system is working.
If there was a landing gear failure that was in part due to maintenance issues as suggested in the report that appears to be prima facie evidence that the system is not working.

I seem to recall claims in the YHZ crash that the "system was working" because no one died. With that kind of logic so long as the universe does not collapse all systems everywhere are "working."
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:42 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by KenHamer
If there was a landing gear failure that was in part due to maintenance issues as suggested in the report that appears to be prima facie evidence that the system is not working.

I seem to recall claims in the YHZ crash that the "system was working" because no one died. With that kind of logic so long as the universe does not collapse all systems everywhere are "working."
I had to rewind a long time to recall my statement and its context.

It seems many folks would accept an incident rate no higher than zero to be satisfied that a system is effective. At the risk of bursting a lot of bubbles, failure of people, procedures and machinery will never reach that zero rate. I'm not commenting specifically on the inner workings (or failings) of Air Georgian itself, but I will defend the SMS and general aviation safety culture in Canada. I fully acknowledge that there is room for improvement in many places. Perhaps some of the Chicken Littles can ease back on their criticisms?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: Back of the bus
Interesting to see the lawyer representing the pilot being sued for libel. Worked with him previously on a different libel case --- he's not cheap but gets results.

Going to bet that the pilot is spending a significant penny defending.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: AC S100K / AC-2MM
Originally Posted by YYC009
At least for YQL, we’re getting DH3’s albeit at a reduced frequency...

https://lethbridgeherald.com/news/le...r-calgary-run/

Last edited by LAman; Feb 14, 2019 at 3:03 pm Reason: fix quote
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Ac.com appears to show the new YQL schedule (with 3 flights a day vs the current 5) but aircraft type and operator yet to be updated. YXH is going from 4 to 2 and YXC is gone from YYC around May
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by LAman

At least for YQL, we’re getting DH1’s albeit at a reduced frequency...

https://lethbridgeherald.com/news/le...r-calgary-run/
Starting April 30, Air Canada confirms, 50-seat turboprops will replace the narrow-body Beechcraft 1900 planes that have covered the Lethbridge-to-Calgary run for many years.
DH3 is the 50-seater. DH1s have 34 seats and presently fly only within Ontario and Quebec (and to BDL). I doubt we'll see them out West before they're phased out this year. Already lots of DH1->DH3 changes in latest timetable effective 01MAY.

Last edited by AC898; Feb 14, 2019 at 2:38 pm
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: AC S100K / AC-2MM
Originally Posted by AC898
DH3 is the 50-seater. DH1s have 34 seats and presently fly only within Ontario and Quebec (and to BDL). I doubt we'll see them out West before they're phased out this year. Already lots of DH1->DH3 changes in latest timetable effective 01MAY.
Yes, you are correct, and I knew that. Brain not engaged this morning! I’ve fixed my original post. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.