Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Star Gold / Silver (*G / *S) seating policy (2018 onwards)

Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:19 am
Original Poster

I am planning flights from Los Angeles to Vancouver. The more suitable flights are a United Express flight from Los Angeles, and an Air Canada flight from Vancouver. So I have the option of booking either using the United or AC website.

Which would you recommend I book from? Does Air Canada recognize Star Alliance Gold status (Krisflyer, actually) if you use their website to book and does this give any privileges such as seat selection?

Thank you for your advice
ryanpower8 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Use whichever is cheaper, probably UA. If in Y (seems likely based on your question) check the fare code if relevevant to avoid Basic Economy and Economy Basic.

You get a free checked bag, Z2 boarding and priority services at airport including MLL. Preferred seats are not reduced. You should need to add your KrisFlyer number with status into the ticket to get these benefits. Whether OLCI lets you check a bag for free is another question, but you always say zero then goto checkin again at the airport.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/gold-status
Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Preferred seats are not free for *G on AC operated flights. That said, you would be added to the upgrade list where you can go from Y to J cabin.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Preferred seats are not free for *G on AC operated flights. That said, you would be added to the upgrade list where you can go from Y to J cabin.
Since when? Unless Y is over AC won’t opup people and *G is likely rather low on the list.
meagicano and canadiancow like this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
Originally Posted by Repooc17
That said, you would be added to the upgrade list where you can go from Y to J cabin.
I'm curious, how does this work when you are *G on a different program and have no eUpgrade credits with AC?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by jc94
Since when? Unless Y is over AC won’t opup people and *G is likely rather low on the list.
6/13 AC segments in the last 2 years, I've gotten an opup, including 3 longhauls, and twice the Y cabin wasnt full (short flights). All on lowest K fares, and one on a full Y fare.

Use whichever is cheaper, probably UA. If in Y (seems likely based on your question) check the fare code if relevevant to avoid Basic Economy and Economy Basic.
There is no United basic economy to Canada.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:24 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
6/13 AC segments in the last 2 years, I've gotten an opup, including 3 longhauls, and twice the Y cabin wasnt full (short flights). All on lowest K fares, and one on a full Y fare.
Then you clearly have a horseshoe up your posterior.

I have done 40 segments this year on AC and have received a total of 0 OpUps. Both in full and half full planes.

On average, I will get 2-3 a year if that, averaging anywhere from 60-80 flights.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:41 am

Highly doubtful you'll get any sort of op-up. Most people on the upgrade list will have AC status and will be way ahead of you. *G is pretty well meaningless.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lcohen999
Then you clearly have a horseshoe up your posterior.
I have done 40 segments this year on AC and have received a total of 0 OpUps. Both in full and half full planes.
On average, I will get 2-3 a year if that, averaging anywhere from 60-80 flights.
Here is my list going back 3 years, out of about 18 flights in AC Y. Never had any AC status.
2018 YUL-PVG. L fare ->PY
2018 SFO-YYZ Y fare ->J
2017 BOS-YYZ K fare -> J (back not full)
2016 YYZ-CDG K fare ->PY
2016 BOS-YYZ Tango -> J
2015 JFK-YYZ Y fare -> J (back not full)
2015 YUL-LHR Tango -> J
Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:42 am

While I am delighted for rankourabu and his remarkable success in being op-upped without being a member of AC's altitude program and a UA *G member, I think we should be extremely careful of suggesting to the OP and indeed any other *G members out that that this is in any way normal, expected, or actually AC policy.

ACs official policy is to fly with empty seats rather than op-upping even SEMM members (maybe this changes as an unpublished SE3MM or higher level). AC even happily flies with empty J seats when Y pax are left behind due to weather.
While I've seen reports here of people here getting the occasional opup, it seems a lot rarer than 50% of the time (and is mainly for people on non-Tango fares) and none of the FF's with AC directly I know have ever had one without using eUps.

While UA doesn't fly Basic Economy to Canada, AC does fly Economy Basic across Canada so I'd be careful what a domestic AC segment booked via UA goes into if you need any of the Tango/Flex 'advantages'.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's easy to see which AC flights will oversell in Y.
When they sell <$400 fares from the US to Asia/Europe, the back fills up quickly.

on my YUL PVG flight, the back was oversold by 31. I m sure lots of Altitude members got OPUP to J/PY ahead of me.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
While I am delighted for rankourabu and his remarkable success in being op-upped without being a member of AC's altitude program and a UA *G member, I think we should be extremely careful of suggesting to the OP and indeed any other *G members out that that this is in any way normal, expected, or actually AC policy.

ACs official policy is to fly with empty seats rather than op-upping even SEMM members (maybe this changes as an unpublished SE3MM or higher level). AC even happily flies with empty J seats when Y pax are left behind due to weather.
While I've seen reports here of people here getting the occasional opup, it seems a lot rarer than 50% of the time (and is mainly for people on non-Tango fares) and none of the FF's with AC directly I know have ever had one without using eUps.

While UA doesn't fly Basic Economy to Canada, AC does fly Economy Basic across Canada so I'd be careful what a domestic AC segment booked via UA goes into if you need any of the Tango/Flex 'advantages'.
All good points, and I believe it was made very clear upthread that *G members shouldn't rely upon comp upgrades at any time. The policy - if accurate - of AC leaving people behind rather than seat them up front during IROPs is staggering to me and indicative of how a company should NOT behave. Simply select the highest-possible status members for the win, and if necessary add a "no meal entitlement" remark on the manifest. At that point, few care about a reheated "Hawksworth" dinner; they just want to get where they paid Air Canada to take them. In OP's case, it's a 320 (or maybe even a CR9 for God's sake), so an upgrade isn't like winning the lottery.

As mentioned, a domestic Basic or Tango (or whatever it's called today) AC fare booked through the UA website yields 25% PQMs for UA's MP members.
flyingcrooked likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 5:43 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
As UA *G I find AC frequently assigns me the worst seats on the aircraft, typically in the last few rows. OTOH my wife and I, both UA*G, have been upgraded on approximately 30-40% of the AC flights where this was possible in the last 2-3 years. I say where possible because many of our flights on AC are short haul connectors on a Q400 with no J seats, or, alternatively, we are already in paid J on longer AC segments. In fact we observed that we get UG on AC more than we do on UA.

As for being lucky, perhaps we are. We were once UG by SQ from LHR-SIN on a reward ticket , which is apparently unheard of. We then received a $100 compensation voucher because they didn't have a diabetic meal in the business class cabin and wouldn't serve the pre ordered economy meal in that cabin. We never complained and my wife was happy to choose from the fish meals offered and watch her own diet but they kept apologizing for not having a diabetic meal loaded in a cabin that we hadn't paid for. My wife chose a piece of jewellery from their in flight selection on the journey home, paying with the voucher.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
As mentioned, a domestic Basic or Tango (or whatever it's called today) AC fare booked through the UA website yields 25% PQMs for UA's MP members.
Domestically!!! All transborder and international fares on AC earn 100% qualifying miles, and at least 50% redeemable miles + elite bonus (so 100% for 1Ks)

Originally Posted by Fizzer
OTOH my wife and I, both UA*G, have been upgraded on approximately 30-40% of the AC flights where this was possible in the last 2-3 years.
So perhaps its not horseshoes, its a trend
Old Jun 19, 2018, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Highly doubtful you'll get any sort of op-up. Most people on the upgrade list will have AC status and will be way ahead of you. *G is pretty well meaningless.
Not True, I have not missed a flight I was on the stand by list for in 3 years. In NYC two weeks ago I was 60 on the SBY list when i asked to take a flight 3 hrs earlier. Asked at the MLL and was told had not cleared but looked good. 10 minutes later i shot past the list and was number 2 with a check beside my name, when I got to they gate the issued me a seat in one of the preferred rows.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.