Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Does Air Canada website recognize Star Alliance Gold?

Does Air Canada website recognize Star Alliance Gold?

Old Jun 19, 18, 8:03 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by yul36 View Post
Not True, I have not missed a flight I was on the stand by list for in 3 years. In NYC two weeks ago I was 60 on the SBY list when i asked to take a flight 3 hrs earlier. Asked at the MLL and was told had not cleared but looked good. 10 minutes later i shot past the list and was number 2 with a check beside my name, when I got to they gate the issued me a seat in one of the preferred rows.
We are talking about being upgraded for free to another cabin. You seem to be referring to standby priority, this is different and is a published *G benefit.

Anyone late to get a seat assignment has a good chance of getting a preferred seat if they are the only seats not taken.
Old Jun 19, 18, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Originally Posted by jc94 View Post

We are talking about being upgraded for free to another cabin. You seem to be referring to standby priority, this is different and is a published *G benefit.

Anyone late to get a seat assignment has a good chance of getting a preferred seat if they are the only seats not taken.
Correct, but the Statement in the quoited remark was that star *G was meaningless. AC has been very good at applying the benefits. I was also once op up'd because after they went down the list I was the only one with any kind of status, so I got the seat in J.
Old Jun 19, 18, 11:22 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by jc94 View Post
While I am delighted for rankourabu and his remarkable success in being op-upped without being a member of AC's altitude program and a UA *G member, I think we should be extremely careful of suggesting to the OP and indeed any other *G members out that that this is in any way normal, expected, or actually AC policy.

ACs official policy is to fly with empty seats rather than op-upping even SEMM members (maybe this changes as an unpublished SE3MM or higher level). AC even happily flies with empty J seats when Y pax are left behind due to weather.
While I've seen reports here of people here getting the occasional opup, it seems a lot rarer than 50% of the time (and is mainly for people on non-Tango fares) and none of the FF's with AC directly I know have ever had one without using eUps.

While UA doesn't fly Basic Economy to Canada, AC does fly Economy Basic across Canada so I'd be careful what a domestic AC segment booked via UA goes into if you need any of the Tango/Flex 'advantages'.
I can say the upgrades for Star Alliance Gold are relatively rare but not non-exsistance. I fly to Tokyo round trip twice a year in Tango+. Since 2010, as an Asiana Diamond+ member (ie StarGold), I have been upgraded from economy to business exactly once - from Tokyo to Vancouver. There are some nice gestures done like blocking the middle seat or putting me on emergency exit for more leg room.
Old Jun 20, 18, 4:22 am

Programs: NEXUS; *A Gold
As a *G holder, I've been op-up'd on AC a few times over the last 3+ years with one time being TATL from low Y to J and the other times being short, trans border hops; however, there's been plenty of other times when I've flown longer trips on both AC and other *A carriers and not received anything outside of the published benefits for *G holders even with half empty premium cabins. The point is that when it comes to getting any form of upgrade or preferred treatment on AC, YMMV and you certainly shouldn't expect anything more than Zone 2 boarding, lounge access, etc
Old Jun 20, 18, 9:36 am
dr

Does AC offer challenges, and if so is there a cost?
I have zero status at present due to non travel for some time but formerly UA 1K for several years.

Any advice greatly appreciated. I am planning a long trip on AC in DEC/Jan in J class, but since it bridges 2018 and 2019 I would need to challenge to come out with any status - or try to choose AC for some flights before that time.
Old Jun 20, 18, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dr View Post
Does AC offer challenges, and if so is there a cost?
I have zero status at present due to non travel for some time but formerly UA 1K for several years.

Any advice greatly appreciated. I am planning a long trip on AC in DEC/Jan in J class, but since it bridges 2018 and 2019 I would need to challenge to come out with any status - or try to choose AC for some flights before that time.
You realize that by 2020, any points credited to Aeroplan will become worth at most 1cpm unless redeemed before then right?
Its a terrible program to start collecting flying points from scratch at this point.
Old Jun 20, 18, 10:06 am

Programs: MileagePlus - 1K
I have no status with Air Canada, but as a 1k United flyer (StarGold), I've been upgraded from economy to business class once when economy was full and there was a long wait list. This was a code share flight. It is a rare thing, but it does happen.
Old Jun 20, 18, 2:38 pm
dr

Fair enough, but as I am starting from scratch, it would allow me to at least get to the equivalent of UA 2P and *G quickly (especially as I have 13k miles that I know I will travel within a month).

Beside, I am not averse to cashing the miles in quickly ;-}

After that, probably look for status match or another challenge -- but some challenges require you to have existing status to be eligible.
Old Jun 25, 18, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Plat, AMEX Plat, Nat EE
Second time on AC in a week, but the first time for me in the last 5 years.......got aisle seats in the exit row @ no charge and the obligatory free checked bag.

AC323 in YUL.......late departure of course........but I understand that's par for the course.
Old Oct 21, 18, 6:53 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, HGC, Spg
Curious if there is any strategy here: is it better to check in online as soon as it opens, or to wait and check in at the airport? (in terms of getting an upgrade, or better seat). I am *G, no status with AC.
Old Oct 21, 18, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by watersign View Post
Curious if there is any strategy here: is it better to check in online as soon as it opens, or to wait and check in at the airport? (in terms of getting an upgrade, or better seat). I am *G, no status with AC.
If you are looking for a preferred seat, one strategy is to not pick a seat in advance and check-in as late as possible. You might get assigned a preferred seat at the airport if there are not enough regular seats left for everyone without a seat assignment. But you might also end up stuck in the middle at the back of the plane if there are enough seats or if enough people buy-up to the preferred seats. There's also a chance that you will be left behind if the flight is overbooked, although that shouldn't happen to a *G. In theory, *G should have higher priority than people without any status. I've never been willing to risk it.

Op-ups are rare. As a *G, I've had two in ten years. I don't think it really matters when you check-in.
Old Oct 21, 18, 4:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, HGC, Spg
Thanks, I typically check in at (or on the way to) the airport. I haven't picked a seat as I'm in economy basic and they want me to pay!
Old Oct 21, 18, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by watersign View Post
Thanks, I typically check in at (or on the way to) the airport. I haven't picked a seat as I'm in economy basic and they want me to pay!
Do you have basic economy or one of the standard (formerly tango) fares?

AC has charged for seats for their tango/standard fares for several years. I've found that by checking in on-line as soon as it opens, I can nearly always still get a decent regular seat for free. These are considered regular fares, and it might be worth waiting to check-in to try to get a preferred seat.

Recently, they introduced basic economy, much like United, with no changes, no checked luggage for non-elites, and no upgrades. If you have one of these fares, the odds of you getting anything other than a regular seat are minuscule. Check-in as soon as you can.

Last edited by StuMcIlwain; Oct 21, 18 at 5:03 pm
Old Oct 21, 18, 5:41 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Originally Posted by yul36 View Post
Correct, but the Statement in the quoited remark was that star *G was meaningless. AC has been very good at applying the benefits. I was also once op up'd because after they went down the list I was the only one with any kind of status, so I got the seat in J.
I have found all *A airlines pretty good about providing all PUBLISHED benefits of *G. Lounge access, baggage, priority boarding etc... What mystifies me is that so many folks constantly ask about preferred seating/Y+ etc.. which has NEVER been a benefit.....
Old Oct 22, 18, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
Preferred seats are not free for *G on AC operated flights. That said, you would be added to the upgrade list where you can go from Y to J cabin.
This is just not going to happen. I fly Air Canada frequently as a UA *G and I will tell you what will happen:

1. no advance seats unless paid for, preferred or otherwise
2. the check-in agent may or may not recognize the status and need a refresher about free bags for *G - which may be caused by the AC system not even retaining your FF number at all to begin with
3. the check-in agent will probably make a fuss about changing your crappy or non-existent seat assignment to a preferred seat at check-in for no charge - so you either need to call for a supervisor or wait until you get into the MLL and ask the agent there, and by then all the preferred seats are gone
4. at boarding, when group 2 is called, a mob of very rude and pushy Canadians will mow you down from all sides as they scramble to get to the podium, sort of like being in China during an evacuation
5. there will be no upgrade
6. service will be classic Canadian passive-aggressive making you wonder why you didn't fly another airline

Search this Thread