Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Notice of Denied Boarding Compensation - EU Member Countries

Question: Notice of Denied Boarding Compensation - EU Member Countries

Old Jun 17, 18, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Twice AC has offered me the same amounts as you have been offered. Each time, I took the money and ran.

These vouchers do not have residual, must be used on a single ticket for a single pax, cannot be applied for taxes or surcharges. Unless you are buying $1400 base fares (so realistically a $2000+ ticket) , you will not get full value, and you will still owe hundreds for surcharges

I think the kicker for me was the last two lines in the notes section, directly from ac.com.
You dont get your voucher value until AFTER YOU'VE FLOWN

Both paper and electronic travel vouchers can be redeemed to cover the base fare of a new booking. Any taxes and surcharges must be paid separately.
Option 1Redeem your paper voucher when making your new booking directly with your travel agent or at any Air Canada staffed airport.
Option 2Apply the credit for a new online booking from the comfort of your own home
Book and pay for your reservation online. Then, mail the electronic ticket/receipt along with your original travel voucher (MCO) to Air Canada's Refund Department upon completion of all travel.By Mail:
Air Canada Refund Services
P.O. Box 6475
Winnipeg, MB
Canada
R3C 3V2By Courier Service (e.g. FedEx, UPS):
Air Canada Refund Services
355 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB,
Canada
R3B 2C3

Notes:

- You can request your refund only upon completion of travel.
- The amount of the voucher will be credited back to the new ticket’s original form of payment.
Old Jun 17, 18, 9:13 pm
Original Member

Except for a select few people in very specific circumstances the vouchers are virtually worthless.
Old Jun 17, 18, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
I wouldn't say it's a daily activity for me, but I definitely buy 900+ Euro base fares several times per year. I'd take the voucher.
Old Jun 17, 18, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Hi hi,

I really thanks all the response. They are helpful in clarifying the situation. Should I write to AC on Contact Us > Send Us an Email > Delay/Cancellation and continue from there? What kind of documents should I provide as proof of 4+ hrs delay, other than quoting the EU 261/2004 rule?

By the way, where could I get AC to issue a letter to verify the lengthy delay? We need it to file for reimbursement. I called the reservation line today and waited for almost 3 hrs but no one answered.
Old Jun 17, 18, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
Unless you are buying $1400 base fares (so realistically a $2000+ ticket) , you will not get full value, and you will still owe hundreds for surcharges
Sounds good to me... I don't recall the last time I bought an overseas ticket cheaper than that.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 18, 18, 1:27 am

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by LMYRMQ622003250 View Post
I really thanks all the response. They are helpful in clarifying the situation. Should I write to AC on Contact Us > Send Us an Email > Delay/Cancellation and continue from there? What kind of documents should I provide as proof of 4+ hrs delay, other than quoting the EU 261/2004 rule?
Yes, that online form is the right place to start the process. Don't try and tell them a narrative story: just stick to the facts and bare minimum of info they need to confirm so you can be paid.

You need to tell them you are writing about a 4+ hour delay and EU261 compensation from AC.
You need to tell them the names of the people affected.
You need to tell them the flight date, origin & destination airport, and ticket number/s for each person involved.
You need to tell them the scheduled departure time and the actual departure time.
You need to tell them a mailing address to send the check/s to. Don't accept a voucher from AC.

You should have been given this info form, not the one you did get.
Old Jun 18, 18, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LMYRMQ622003250 View Post
I called the reservation line today and waited for almost 3 hrs but no one answered.
Fairly standard with AC.

You need to send an email with the facts as the helpful poster above stated.
You will get a response in 3-5 weeks (standard AC customer service response time), either approving the claim, or disputing it.
This is a very clear cut case, so they ll probably reply with the voucher/money offer...
Like others said (apart from extreme AC loyalists) - take the money.

Here is an example if you tried to use your vouchers on a YYZ-LHR premium economy ticket (with high enough base fares), you would still need to pay $850+ on top of your voucher.
And remember you wouldnt get the value of your voucher until AFTER you fly

Fare 1: Carrier AC NKXRCE14 YTO to LON (rules)Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code NCovers YYZ-LHR (Premium economy)CA$659.00
Fare 2: Carrier AC NKXRCE14 LON to YTO (rules)Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code NCovers LHR-YYZ (Premium economy)CA$659.00AC
YQ surcharge (YQ)CA$450.00
Toronto Airport Improvement Fee (SQ) CA$25.00
Canadian Harmonized Sales Tax (ON) (RC)CA$3.25
Canadian Air Travelers Security Charge (CA)CA$25.91
United Kingdom Passenger Service Charge Departures (UB)CA$78.10
United Kingdom Air Passenger Duty APD (GB) CA$271.20
Subtotal per passenger CA$2,171.46

While its still available I would screenshot this, in case AC wont play
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...700Z/EGLL/CYYZ
Its important as it shows landing time and gate arrival time (the one courts ruled that counts for the 4+ hours purposes). If they deny, you can appeal to them again and present the facts, one of my claims, I had to send in a screenshot and a copy of the rules.
Old Jun 18, 18, 10:21 am

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
You get to learn a lot in this thread. Should Wiki this. Thanks for all the insight.
Old Jun 18, 18, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth View Post
Yes, that online form is the right place to start the process. Don't try and tell them a narrative story: just stick to the facts and bare minimum of info they need to confirm so you can be paid.

You need to tell them you are writing about a 4+ hour delay and EU261 compensation from AC.
You need to tell them the names of the people affected.
You need to tell them the flight date, origin & destination airport, and ticket number/s for each person involved.
You need to tell them the scheduled departure time and the actual departure time.
You need to tell them a mailing address to send the check/s to. Don't accept a voucher from AC.

You should have been given this info form, not the one you did get.
Thank you for all the ideas, I just sent the email out and let see what would Air Canada say.

I assume that I should wait until they respond and claim the distance code.
Old Jun 26, 18, 1:28 am
Original Poster

I got a reply from Air Canada today, surprisingly!!! It is offering either EUR 600 as draft or CAD 1300 as e-Coupon, the email contains a link (https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/customer-support/electronic-and-paper-travel-vouchers.html ) stating the terms and condition of the e-Coupon. The email also states that "Please note any goodwill compensation provided previously has been cancelled in consideration of this payment", does it mean that I should not try to retrieve the discount code handed out at the same time while boarding the flight in London?

If the voucher can only be used to pay the base fare as stated in the form handed out in Heathrow, does that mean, say for the attached Premium Economy Class ticket, I would have to pay for about CAD 300 out of pocket? That would actually work for me nicely.

Old Jun 26, 18, 8:28 am

Programs: A3*G
yes, you can apply the voucher of 1300 CAD to that itinerary.
Old Jun 26, 18, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travel agent View Post
yes, you can apply the voucher of 1300 CAD to that itinerary.
Sure. But that means OP will need to pay $468. Not 300.
canadiancow likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: