Wiki Posts
Search

Help with Altitude Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Help with Altitude Benefits

First off, I apologize for missing a thread that must exist where this should have gone. I'm really rather unintelligent so have mercy on me.

Just achieved Elite 35k. Big deal. I have to choose my priveledges and would like some input.

I will only be at 35k for one trip next week and then I'll be at 50k, and that will only last a month before I'm at 75k and I'm certain to reach SE by October.

if I pick extra eupgrades now and then bonus miles when selecting for 50k is that best? It's basically 5 credits vs about 3800 Aeroplan miles next week.

Would love some input. Thanks.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: *$ Green
Are you going to use the eUps?

Remember that because this is your first time crossing thresholds, you'll be able to select new benefits at each crossing (versus next year only getting new benefits once you reach SE again). Which means you could select extra miles at all the levels, and extra eUps once you get SE.

You will also get more eUps as you get to 60K+ from threshold bonuses.

So if you travel a lot on Y passes etc, you might want the eUps. But if not, you could min-max by getting more miles, and let the couple of eUps top you up towards year end when you line up new trips.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
You only get the difference in eUps at each level, so don’t bother selecting them at 35 if you’re going to pick them later. When I went from 50 to 100 a couple of years ago I was able to pick E35 for a friend as E75K, and then E50 for a different friend at Se100K. You may want to consider that.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: AC E50k
Can I ask how you go from 35k to SE? Consultant working in Oz regularly flying flex or higher? Segments flying tango as a medical courier?
Old Jun 17, 2018, 8:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Tax Dude
You only get the difference in eUps at each level, so don’t bother selecting them at 35 if you’re going to pick them later.
Did Air Canada finally fix this "bug"? This was not the case several years ago.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 11:10 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by pointsnerd
Did Air Canada finally fix this "bug"? This was not the case several years ago.
It has been this way for a while. So Tax Dude's advice is sound. Unless OP has a use for the eUps imminently, might as well take the bonus miles on next week's flights, I would think.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:20 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Jsteezy
Can I ask how you go from 35k to SE? Consultant working in Oz regularly flying flex or higher? Segments flying tango as a medical courier?
I've done it twice before. 25k-100k run.

New job with travel.

Then new baby.

Then back to traveling once baby was 1 year old.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Jsteezy
Flying to EU every other week in premium economy, often flex because flights booked on short notice. Likely only for this year, so I will happily use benefits of SE this fall and next year and then will have to revert to pleb status.

Good ol' work travel!
Jsteezy likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: AC E50k
Yeah, I went from nothing to 50k status on segments alone in the latter part of last year. A bunch of flying. December saw me in Detroit, Riyadh, Hamburg, Rome, London, Birmingham, and back to Halifax for Xmas.

Thought there may have been an easier way.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I believe someone here requalified as SE within January once That was via AQM with mainly 150% multiplier if I recall.

Then there are others who have admitted to flying over 300 segments in some period of time.

Of course, FT may not reflect an average flyer. People outside of FT though I flew a lot lol.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:01 pm

I took the same route for a couple of my staff last year (E35 for one, E50 for another). They appreciated it but was only good to end of the year, then a new E50 starting this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.