Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Excited To See Me? Or just another IT failure?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!

Client hosting a conference in the US later this year booked me on AC rogue so I could attend. Today I received an email from AC with the subject line "See you soon on Air Canada Rouge!" and a bunch of yipping in the email body about me "getting ready for your upcoming flight."

The trip isn't until the end of October. I just re-checked the confirmation from AC and the dates on it are correct. So what gives?

Is this "Gosh darn we can't wait to see you" enthusiasm something new? I know many here have long complained about AC's inept IT but I've kind of lost touch with it since I began actively avoiding Err Canada for my own travel. No other airline gets this excited about the prospect of seeing me four months from now. Is there something I should know?
Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
I believe AC sends out these e-mails a few days after making the booking if the itinerary involves segments on AC Rouge so that pax are aware of the differences between AC mainline and AC Rouge.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Understood - thanks Jasper. But if that's the case they should change the wording ... "Thanks for booking with us" or something like that. When it starts with "See you soon" and goes on to reference my "upcoming flight" for a booking that is so far in the distance, the first thing I think is gaaaaa ... are the dates messed up?
Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Symmetre
Understood - thanks Jasper. But if that's the case they should change the wording ... "Thanks for booking with us" or something like that. When it starts with "See you soon" and goes on to reference my "upcoming flight" for a booking that is so far in the distance, the first thing I think is gaaaaa ... are the dates messed up?
I agree. Don't quote me on this, but I believe AC switched around the time that e-mail is sent from "x days before departure" to "shortly after making the booking" (and possibly anytime inbetween or not at all), and my best guess is that AC didn't bother to change the content.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Ah the question is, do they send it within the free 24h cancellation window or after? Sounds like after.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
It can't be an IT failure. AC doesn't have Information Technology. They just have Technology.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
It can't be an IT failure. AC doesn't have Information Technology. They just have Technology.
This isn’t the technology you’re looking for.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 8:45 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I agree. Don't quote me on this, but I believe AC switched around the time that e-mail is sent from "x days before departure" to "shortly after making the booking" (and possibly anytime inbetween or not at all), and my best guess is that AC didn't bother to change the content.
Logical. I've assumed they changed up the timing because they felt it would be more effective at cross-selling hotels, rental cars, etc to start getting in front of people earlier rather than later.

I thought the problem was that they had information but no technology?
Old Jun 10, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I thought the problem was that they had information but no technology?

I thought about saying that, I really did, but then I realized it would be crazy to suggest they had any kind of information as well.

I think their IT is more related to the movie IT than it is Information Technology.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:57 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I thought about saying that, I really did, but then I realized it would be crazy to suggest they had any kind of information as well.

I think their IT is more related to the movie IT than it is Information Technology.
Maybe the problem is that it's Idiot Technology?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
OP, make sure you clear your cache, clear your cookies, and restart your computer.

If you don't see anything, then make sure your computer is plugged in.

(paraphrasing any random tech support script)
Symmetre likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 3:45 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
OP, you will get several more over the coming months. You even get them when the flight is to the city you live in. They are kind enough to suggest hotels etc. I guess in case you don’t like your own home. Think of it as your new pen pal.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 3:53 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Bartolo
OP, you will get several more over the coming months. You even get them when the flight is to the city you live in. They are kind enough to suggest hotels etc. I guess in case you don’t like your own home. Think of it as your new pen pal.
Oooh, I have a collection of those. Real keepers. As others here have mentioned before, AC IT doesn't have the ability to know that if you buy a one-way ticket say back to where you live, you are generally going home, not visiting (although.......)

My other favourite is how there is a difference between an original ticket with a connection in say YVR, Manage Bookings and what appears in the app. Due to flight times on some routes, the sometimes can only connect to a transcon that is 6 hours for my arrival. Thus some of these things think my destination is YVR, but there is no break in my ticket or the married segments. I do not worry about such things since I think I know where I am going most of the time. Perhaps the next time I buy a ticket somewhere, AC will instead have me going somewhere more exotic than I intended.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
OP will also get "it's time to check in!" emails but only after s/he's already completed OLCI.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyznomad
OP will also get "it's time to check in!" emails but only after s/he's already completed OLCI.
I've found those are coming much closer to T-24 for me lately. Usually still after I've checked in, but not 12 hours after I've checked in any more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.