Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Minimum AQS on AC metal to qualify for Altitude

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2018, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP

Hi, I looked up AC.com and can't find info on minimum AQS on AC metal to qualify for Altitude (e.g. SE). Last time I recall it was 5 on AC metal (can't recall if codeshare counts). Can't find it on the wiki here either. Can someone please confirm?
Thanks,
GT
Old Jun 9, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by gtpdiddy
Hi, I looked up AC.com and can't find info on minimum AQS on AC metal to qualify for Altitude (e.g. SE). Last time I recall it was 5 on AC metal (can't recall if codeshare counts). Can't find it on the wiki here either. Can someone please confirm?
Thanks,
GT
For SE it is (100,000 AQM or 95 AQS) Plus 20,000 AQD. The full chart is at altitude.aircanada.com. I believe that codeshare does count. It needs to be on 014 stock to obtain the AQD.

Last edited by YEG_SE4Life; Jun 9, 2018 at 9:16 pm
Old Jun 9, 2018, 9:11 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Thanks,
GT
In addition to the above .. I wonder if you are thinking of a previous year (2015?) where you had to get half your flying on AC metal.

This was replaced by AQD only earned on AC metal or 014 tickets. If you got say $20k AQD in 5 segments your other 90 could be on any other *A metal for SE.

Last edited by jc94; Jun 9, 2018 at 10:11 pm
Old Jun 9, 2018, 9:21 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jc94
In addition to the above .. I wonder if you are thinking of a previous year (2015?) where you had to get half your flying on AC metal.
There was actually a year or two where there was a 5-segment (or was it or 10?) AC metal minimum. Then it switched to the 50% requirement, although it didn't have to be half your flying, just half the AQM or AQS applicable to the tier for which you were qualifying. One could have flown 200K AQM and only 50K on AC, but still gotten AC.

This was replaced by AQD only earned on AC metal of 014 tickets. If you got say $20k AQD in 5 segments your other 90 could be on any other *A metal for SE.
To be clear, any *A segments booked on 014 stock now qualify for AQD, as do any AC metal flights, regardless of ticketing carrier. So there's actually no need to fly AC at all - although ticketing OAL flights on AC stock isn't always straightforward.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
There was actually a year or two where there was a 5-segment (or was it or 10?) AC metal minimum. Then it switched to the 50% requirement, although it didn't have to be half your flying, just half the AQM or AQS applicable to the tier for which you were qualifying. One could have flown 200K AQM and only 50K on AC, but still gotten AC.

To be clear, any *A segments booked on 014 stock now qualify for AQD, as do any AC metal flights, regardless of ticketing carrier. So there's actually no need to fly AC at all - although ticketing OAL flights on AC stock isn't always straightforward.
Ah yes my “of” should have been an “or”. A key typo.

Yeah my 40k *A flying got me P25k thanks to falling short of the 17.5k on AC metal. Ironically, AQD would have easily been 10k that year under current rules.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 10:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
AQD has entirely replaced the metal requirement. The AC metal requirement existed to ensure they got some of your money if they were going to pay for your benefits. AQD is obviously a much better metric for them.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Wait a minute here, so I have to fly 50% AQM on AC metal/codeshare to re-qualify for the level I'm aiming for? AQD is not a problem for given I'm non-resident and I'm already over the $10K spent (instead of $20K) for SE. I don't see the 50% minimum on the Altitude website. My problem is I won't be flying 50% on AC metal/codeshare and I'll be over 100K this year that I'm depositing to Altitude.

Advice appreciated.
GT
Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:06 pm

Wait a minute here, so I have to fly 50% AQM on AC metal/codeshare to re-qualify for the level I'm aiming for? AQD is not a problem for given I'm non-resident and I'm already over the $10K spent (instead of $20K) for SE. I don't see the 50% minimum on the Altitude website. My problem is I won't be flying 50% on AC metal/codeshare and I'll be over 100K this year that I'm depositing to Altitude.

Advice appreciated.
GT
No. 20K AQD (10K non-resident) + 100K AQM

You can fly 0% AC metal and 100% AC codeshare metal on 014 stock to get your AQD if that's what you want. Doesn't matter where your AQM comes from (can fly *A all you want).
Old Jun 10, 2018, 5:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
For SE it is (100,000 AQM or 95 AQS) Plus 20,000 AQD. The full chart is at altitude.aircanada.com. I believe that codeshare does count. It needs to be on 014 stock to obtain the AQD.
Since the original poster lists NYC as a place of residence, it's important to note that the $20,000AQD is for Canadian residents only, and I believe it's half that for non Canadian residents.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Since the original poster lists NYC as a place of residence, it's important to note that the $20,000AQD is for Canadian residents only, and I believe it's half that for non Canadian residents.
Yes, you are correct.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hydrogen
No. 20K AQD (10K non-resident) + 100K AQM

You can fly 0% AC metal and 100% AC codeshare metal on 014 stock to get your AQD if that's what you want. Doesn't matter where your AQM comes from (can fly *A all you want).
That's good to hear. Based in NYC it's hard to fly AC all the time. I've already passed by $10K AQD so that's set. Just need to get AQM. Most of my flights are UA and LH. I try to fly AC but they're so expensive now and I need the 150% bonus to get to 100K this year.

GT
Old Jun 10, 2018, 7:14 pm

That's good to hear. Based in NYC it's hard to fly AC all the time. I've already passed by $10K AQD so that's set. Just need to get AQM. Most of my flights are UA and LH. I try to fly AC but they're so expensive now and I need the 150% bonus to get to 100K this year.

GT
Curious why you are keen to get AC SE if you find it hard to fly AC and fly more UA and LH. Both of which have their own frequent flyer programs that at 100k a year may give better options on their own flights.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Good question. Main reason is AQD is half other airlines like UA. I’m based near LGA so I often fly out of there and can connect via YYZ easily for international routes. Also so many 1K it’s hard to score intl upgrades. Also 15K RT for AE redemption with IKK is a steal as well as intl J reward has lower points redemption. Overall I get more out of AC I think.
GT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.