Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC501 6:40 AM; Overnight Stay at Airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC501 6:40 AM; Overnight Stay at Airport?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
I agree with @YEG_SE4Life
Old Jun 9, 2018, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by yyzgigi

yeah I made the same mistake and fixed my response after I reread. Would be great if AC was willing to do that booking if you weren’t in a hurry to get there. I’m assuming you’ve had the chance to get out the Polaris lounge at ORD. I have not and although it isn’t the best lounge out there it is a unique experience and would personally want to book for a longer connection to experience.
Very good point, so taking the morning fligh would be a win-win. 86% on time rating, can just show up to airport late for that, and then spend a comfortable amount of time before the NH flight in the Polaris lounge.
I liked the Polaris lounges in ORD and SFO, its nothing extraordinary, but definitely a nice place to hang out while waiting for a connection for someone who hasnt been. Beats a beat up MLL or a United Club.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
I’m assuming you’ve had the chance to get out the Polaris lounge at ORD. I have not and although it isn’t the best lounge out there it is a unique experience and would personally want to book for a longer connection to experience.
That is a good consideration. I did have the opportunity to check it out and it was a very nice experience. I was in the PL, I believe it was, the day before they stopped allowing AC J in as international.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I liked the Polaris lounges in ORD and SFO, its nothing extraordinary, but definitely a nice place to hang out while waiting for a connection for someone who hasnt been. Beats a beat up MLL or a United Club.
Ha! We agree on something.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
The delay yesterday looks like an anomaly, with most recent flights arriving close to on schedule. Remember that you will arrive as a domestic PAX in ORD with no security to clear. Even 30 mins should be enough to make a connection. Published MCT for ORD is 40 mins.

I would ask two questions:
1. Will having a short night and getting up very early help you sleep on the ORD-NRT flight?
2. What are the consequences for you of a missed connection in ORD? Prepaid hotel in NRT? Lost day of vacation? Have you plans B and C ready. I suggest you check the loadings for NH11 the day after your scheduled flight to see if there is space. There is also a later UA flight every day.
--
13F
I don't think the statement about no security is correct. If the AC flight is treated like a domestic flight (which should be true, as transborder does preclearance at almost all Canadian airports), it would arrive in about Terminal 2 at ORD. [I say about because to me the domestic part of the airport seems like one terminal, especially if you arrive on the "EL" from downtown as you don't go outdoors at all.] The NH flight would depart from the international terminal, which is Terminal 5 and AFAIK isn't connected airside to T1/2/3 but by a little tram.

However, please check the details as traditionally some of the international flights operated by USA legacy carriers have departed from the domestic terminals and arrived at the international terminal. Moreover, things at ORD are in a state of flux as major changes there are starting. I'm also thinking from a SkyTeam viewpoint and UA might operate an airside bus between terminals, but if so, would partner passengers on separate tickets be permitted to use it as from the perspective of the airlines, you won't have a connection as you seem to realize?

BTW, I would vote for an ORD airport hotel. There's a Hilton right at the airport, on airport property but across a roadway or connected underground to the main terminals. There are also a bunch of Rosemont (and other) airport hotels, but check shuttle schedules as for instance the HR is about every 15-20 minutes during most times of day, but the Hyatt is only every half hour. IME room rates are all over the place, so you need to check different options. Also, be careful about whether the hotel shuttles go to the international terminal. Some do, some don't, and some do by request or advanced reservation only.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
I've always liked to pad connections at ORD, even in the mornings, simply to guard against weather delays. What can I tell you, I do believe in Murphy's Law. It seems to have a special grip on that place.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't think the statement about no security is correct. If the AC flight is treated like a domestic flight (which should be true, as transborder does preclearance at almost all Canadian airports), it would arrive in about Terminal 2 at ORD. [I say about because to me the domestic part of the airport seems like one terminal, especially if you arrive on the "EL" from downtown as you don't go outdoors at all.] The NH flight would depart from the international terminal, which is Terminal 5 and AFAIK isn't connected airside to T1/2/3 but by a little tram.

However, please check the details as traditionally some of the international flights operated by USA legacy carriers have departed from the domestic terminals and arrived at the international terminal. Moreover, things at ORD are in a state of flux as major changes there are starting. I'm also thinking from a SkyTeam viewpoint and UA might operate an airside bus between terminals, but if so, would partner passengers on separate tickets be permitted to use it as from the perspective of the airlines, you won't have a connection as you seem to realize?

BTW, I would vote for an ORD airport hotel. There's a Hilton right at the airport, on airport property but across a roadway or connected underground to the main terminals. There are also a bunch of Rosemont (and other) airport hotels, but check shuttle schedules as for instance the HR is about every 15-20 minutes during most times of day, but the Hyatt is only every half hour. IME room rates are all over the place, so you need to check different options. Also, be careful about whether the hotel shuttles go to the international terminal. Some do, some don't, and some do by request or advanced reservation only.
still agree with hotel being the best option on many dimensions:
- doesn’t require staying at YYZ to catch early morning flight ; easy train connection from downtown
- reduced risk of misconnect
- 24 hour connections possible on reward ticket so no added cost
- enjoy the AC evening flight with time in the MLL and drinks on evening flight
- as much time in the Polaris lounge as you want

but NH does depart from terminal 1 so is a sterile connection and shouldn’t be a factor.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Thanks everyone for your input. I have checked AP for award flight YYZ ORD the day before and the latest flight is around 10:30AMish arriving at 11:42AM. NH11 is 11:40AM next day so that’s 23 hours 58 minutes... in theory, should work with AP. Looks like SPG has a cheap Four Points at ORD with free shuttle (can anyone confirm?) for only 3K starpoints a night!

Question: if my YYZ-ORD AC Flight gets cancelled for any reason, can I get rebooked to a united flight?

Yes it’s same ticket via AP: YYZ- ORD- NRT- WUH and I cannot miss the NH11 flight at all as I have to attend a wedding next day.

Last edited by theOtherHolmes; Jun 9, 2018 at 9:51 am
Old Jun 9, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Not sure why you say no SPG or Marriott put ORD into the location and got lots of SPG and Marriott options with varying point requirements. Might be your specific date. That is a long connection, but Anything less than 24 hours is legal; if you wanted to visit Chicago the subway at the airport can get you into the city.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Not sure why you say no SPG or Marriott put ORD into the location and got lots of SPG and Marriott options with varying point requirements. Might be your specific date. That is a long connection, but Anything less than 24 hours is legal; if you wanted to visit Chicago the subway at the airport can get you into the city.
Yup I just checked and found something cheap by SPG.

Will probably visit our Chicago office.

Thanks a lot for the help! Now I just have to call AP and make them book my one-way flight with 23 hour and 58 min layover lol
Old Jun 9, 2018, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I did YYZ-ORD-NRT a couple years ago. Or rather, I tried.

I also gave myself something like a 6 hour connection.

You can read my experience here: My New Years Adventure with AC and AP

The only reason I flew F was my persistence and concierge access.

Fly in the day before.
yyzgigi likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: AC - SE, SPG - Platinum, HGP - Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

AC arrives/departs from T2 pier E. NH departs T1, usually C pier. NH arrives T5 and it towed over to T1 for departure. T2 and T1 are connected airside but it’s a long tunnel walk to pier C.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow

Fly in the day before.
Wow. I have no status whatsoever with AC anymore. Used to be Gold.

Alright I will get a 23-hour-58-minute connection.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow

Fly in the day before.
Fun read! Thanks for sharing, and in so much detail.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
Question: if my YYZ-ORD AC Flight gets cancelled for any reason, can I get rebooked to a united flight?

Yes it’s same ticket via AP: YYZ- ORD- NRT- WUH and I cannot miss the NH11 flight at all as I have to attend a wedding next day.
Yes, you can get rebooked on any United or American flight for YYZ-ORD, if thats more convenient to you than a later AC flight.
If you have a wedding, go the day before for sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.