Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC501 6:40 AM; Overnight Stay at Airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2018, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat

Hi,

Advice needed:

Gotta get myself to ORD for NH11 (11:20AM departure) to NRT (same ticket; AP award). Either AC501 departing at 6:40AM and arriving at 7:30AM or AC503 departing at 8:45AM arriving at 9:30AM. AC503 was over an hour late yesterday so I’m not sure if I should book AC503 given my NH11 is in F.

I have 1 checked luggage and Nexus/ Global Entry.

So I most likely will book AC501 as my positioning flight. I live downtown close to Union Station; UP (Union-Pearson) Airport Express starts at like 5AM and takes half an hour so that’s 5:30AM at best. Given AC501 departs at 6:40AM, arriving at 5:30AM even with Nexus is probably a bit too late?

So is my best option here staying at an airport hotel with 24 hr shuttle? The Fairfield Inn for example. I don’t eat breakfast- just coffee and one apple from any lounge will do. I do think they serve a hot breakfast in AC501 J cabin.

Thanks in advance for your input: e.g., take AC503 and 1 to 1.5 hour connection is fine or take AC501? When’s the latest I can get to the airport for AC501? Hotel stay needed?
Old Jun 9, 2018, 5:27 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
I wouldn’t do 1,5 hours in ORD if the consequence of misconnect is that great. If you need a hotel stay and it is important to get there I would personally just fly to ORD the night before. You might pay a bit more for the hotel (unless you really lower your standards) but you’ll enjoy an evening flight more, get benefit of free drinks and also give you more time in the lounge in ORD.

Old Jun 9, 2018, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by yyzgigi
I wouldn’t do 1,5 hours in ORD if the consequence of misconnect is that great. If you need a hotel stay and it is important to get there I would personally just fly to ORD the night before. You might pay a bit more for the hotel (unless you really lower your standards) but you’ll enjoy an evening flight more, get benefit of free drinks and also give you more time in the lounge in ORD.

I did not even think about this option- you are correct, I will look into the cost factor. I redeem Marriott points for the hotel stay.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 5:42 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
The delay yesterday looks like an anomaly, with most recent flights arriving close to on schedule. Remember that you will arrive as a domestic PAX in ORD with no security to clear. Even 30 mins should be enough to make a connection. Published MCT for ORD is 40 mins.

I would ask two questions:
1. Will having a short night and getting up very early help you sleep on the ORD-NRT flight?
2. What are the consequences for you of a missed connection in ORD? Prepaid hotel in NRT? Lost day of vacation? Have you plans B and C ready. I suggest you check the loadings for NH11 the day after your scheduled flight to see if there is space. There is also a later UA flight every day.
--
13F
Old Jun 9, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
I believe the question you are asking relates to individual comfort levels. Only you can answer the question about which option you would be most comfortable with.

For me, well I normally arrive at airports within 1 hr of departure. I never plan to be there any sooner than that. I also wouldn't consider a 1 hour connection in ORD as anything out of the ordinary.

Full disclosure, I also leave connecting issues due to late arrivals in the hands of AC. I have had Boris meet me on an inbound and walk me to a 15 minute UA connection in ORD, He knows their gate staff.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Never rely on AC for a crucial connection.
Stay at ORD
Symmetre likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Never rely on AC for a crucial connection.
Stay at ORD
Yeah, what does a FOTSG like me know? I only do it about 100 times a year.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:35 am

Programs: DL Silver, AC E75K, Chatime Elite
I have not checked recently, but I stayed at the ORD Hilton for just over $100 CAD this past March Break. That was to ensure that I made my early ORD departure. I did book nearly a year in advance, so YMMV.

It's connected right to the terminal, so one doesn't need to walk outside.
​​​​​​
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life

do you do a 100 times a year to once a day F flights with no obvious recovery?

. This morning the early AC flight returned to gate and the next flight has a predicted 40 minute delay with storms still in the area. My husband flew in from YYZ to ORD and had a five hour mechanical delay on UA; it sucked but at least we are ready to drive to our planned destination this morning.

Agree it it is all about individual comfort, but buying a connecting flight with multiple recovery options is a very different consequence.
rankourabu and m.y like this.

Last edited by yyzgigi; Jun 9, 2018 at 7:42 am
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
Yes, I m sure you do all the following 100 times a year
a) Rely on AC to get you on time to your separate ticket connection not on AC.
b) Fly without status
c) Fly NH F from ORD
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by yyzgigi

do you do a 100 times a year on separate tickets? The OP asked about a positioning flight. He is also on a once a day F flight. This morning the early AC flight returned to gate and the next flight has a predicted 40 minute delay with storms still in the area. My husband flew in from YYZ to ORD and has a five hour mechanical delay on AC it sucked but at least we are ready to drive to our planned destination this morning.

Agree it it is all about individual comfort, but buying a connecting flight with multiple recovery options is a very different consequence.
Actually, many of my connections are on separate tickets. It helps me get below MCT. I don't think I am your best example and my post was only in response to the comment, that I quoted, that said to never trust AC. I, personally, would not hesitate to comfortably accept a 1:50 connection like the op's option and I would never fly the night prior to avoid a 1hr connection. I spend enough nights away from my wife.

Like I said, it comes down to personal comfort levels, and also personal situations. I get that. For someone who flies less frequently, an additional night on the road, for each trip, could mean one or two extra nights per year. That might not be significant. For me, it would mean one or two extra nights per week. I thought your reply was a great solution for the OP. I also thought the op could use an alternative opinion, so I shared my opinion.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The bottom line here is that OP is not connecting at ORD. Yet there are repeated references from experienced fliers as to what they prefer and others ought to do on connections.

OP is traveling on separate tickets. Thus, if he no shows for his onward flight to NRT, his ticket will be cancelled and the consequences of his no show will be determined by the ticket's fare rules. OP has not posted his fare rules, so we do not know. But, at a minimum, he will likely have to pay significant fees or even purchase a new ticket at walk-up prices, and spend some time at ORD or take a circuitous route to NRT.

For connections, it is about comfort levels. For separate tickets, it is about risk tolerance. In this case, OP is spending the night at a hotel, whether he does so at his origin or ORD. There may be smallish variations in room cost and amenities, but ORD presents not only comfort in an unhurried transfer including nice lounge access.

Beyond that, the question is what a delayed arrival at NRT means to OP. Is this a leisure trip where 24 hours is annoying, but inconsequential or a business meeting where the value of the trip is in being on time?
Old Jun 9, 2018, 8:04 am

Yes, I m sure you do all the following 100 times a year
a) Rely on AC to get you on time to your separate ticket connection not on AC.
b) Fly without status
c) Fly NH F from ORD
Nope, I didn't say, nor did I imply, that. What I did say, however, in direct contrast to your opinion, was that I frequently trust AC to get me to my connections on time. I have also been 100 percent transparent about the fact that, with my status, I do have people that look out for me. I also gave an example of a 15 minute connection from AC to UA in ORD, but qualified it by describing the service I received. Why do you twist the words of someone who is trying to be meticulously transparent? The op asked a question and deserves balanced replies.
ffsim, Adam Smith and Diabeetus like this.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
The bottom line here is that OP is not connecting at ORD. Yet there are repeated references from experienced fliers as to what they prefer and others ought to do on connections.
Actually after re-reading, it seems that it is the same ticket and an Aeroplan award, its just weirdly worded in the OP.
In that case, I would book the 1.5 hour connection, since there is no risk of getting abandoned at ORD. Worst case scenario, get rebooked on LH F, revenue, in the afternoon

NH doesnt require a trek to T5.

And no, I would not trust the airline with the worst on-time performance in North America to get to me to a separate connection on time, these particular flights are well above the AC average at 86 and 68% on time (with significant schedule padding included)
Old Jun 9, 2018, 8:13 am

Actually after re-reading, it seems that it is the same ticket and an Aeroplan award, its just weirdly worded in the OP.
In that case, I would book the 1.5 hour connection, since there is no risk of getting abandoned at ORD. Worst case scenario, get rebooked on LH F, revenue, in the afternoon

NH doesnt require a trek to T5.
yeah I made the same mistake and fixed my response after I reread. Would be great if AC was willing to do that re booking if you weren’t in a hurry to get there, otherwise you might be waiting 24 hours for a true F seat. I’m assuming you’ve had the chance to get out the Polaris lounge at ORD. I have not and although it isn’t the best lounge out there it is a unique experience and would personally want to book for a longer connection to experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.