FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Need some help...yyc-san (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1913393-need-some-help-yyc-san.html)

morphius909 Jun 8, 2018 4:49 pm

Need some help...yyc-san

Hi all,

Haven't been on this forum for years surprised my login still works!

I'm trying to find United flights to/from yyc-san for June 18-23.

I.cant find any availability on the site or only partial. Anyone have any special access to reward flights and provide some assistance ?

Thank you!

jc94 Jun 8, 2018 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by morphius909 (Post 29845721)
Hi all,

Haven't been on this forum for years surprised my login still works!

I'm trying to find United flights to/from yyc-san for June 18-23.

I.cant find any availability on the site or only partial. Anyone have any special access to reward flights and provide some assistance ?

Thank you!

Y or J? 1 person or 8?

The website works better than the app, UA being scam free are harder to find so looking on the UA site may be better.

That said ...

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...44d71374d4.png

morphius909 Jun 8, 2018 5:41 pm

If I look on the UA site which one are eligible for awards ?

dr_torch Jun 8, 2018 6:38 pm

I can see options on United going down, but it's Air Canada coming back (SAN-SFO on UA and SFO-YYC on AC).

Is there a reason why you want to avoid Air Canada? As Elite you don't pay the fuel surcharge on North American rewards anyway, so you won't be hit with a scam charge.

All of these show up on the Aeroplan site.

Adam Smith Jun 8, 2018 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by morphius909 (Post 29845823)
If I look on the UA site which one are eligible for awards ?

Saver awards.

morphius909 Jun 8, 2018 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by dr_torch (Post 29845912)
I can see options on United going down, but it's Air Canada coming back (SAN-SFO on UA and SFO-YYC on AC).

Is there a reason why you want to avoid Air Canada? As Elite you don't pay the fuel surcharge on North American rewards anyway, so you won't be hit with a scam charge.

All of these show up on the Aeroplan site.

Elite???

Bahahha

I haven't been elite for years
i went from 50-75k status Miles to 1000 literally overnight .Thanks to reduction of work travel .

I

jc94 Jun 8, 2018 9:13 pm

The return options on 23rd all suck. All 13-14 hours, the only one stop is UA/AC and without status it’s going to have sone fees. That said I see 25k points and $170 for the entire trip in Y which isn’t that bad.

However, there a double stop return all on UA with 8h in SFO. Drops overall fees to $80. Same one expects you to connect in 40m in LAX though which I can see going wrong.

Theres always buying a revenue return in the $300-$400 range for a single stop. Depends how you feel about a 2.4cpm and what else $300 is worth to you vs a day in transit.

That’s all assuming Y.

morphius909 Jun 8, 2018 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by jc94 (Post 29846182)
The return options on 23rd all suck. All 13-14 hours, the only one stop is UA/AC and without status it’s going to have sone fees. That said I see 25k points and $170 for the entire trip in Y which isn’t that bad.

However, there a double stop return all on UA with 8h in SFO. Drops overall fees to $80. Same one expects you to connect in 40m in LAX though which I can see going wrong.

Theres always buying a revenue return in the $300-$400 range for a single stop. Depends how you feel about a 2.4cpm and what else $300 is worth to you vs a day in transit.

That’s all assuming Y.

Yeah the fare on googleflights is now 480+.

Yesterday I was about to purchase tickets at 346.00/all in but had to run to the gym and though Id do it the minute I got back. BOOM. Price jumped 140 bucks.

At 487.00, the CPM is about (if I do the math right with about 170 in fees) which is 1.2CPM no? Which is poor?

jc94 Jun 9, 2018 7:51 am

Originally Posted by morphius909 (Post 29846281)
Yeah the fare on googleflights is now 480+.

Yesterday I was about to purchase tickets at 346.00/all in but had to run to the gym and though Id do it the minute I got back. BOOM. Price jumped 140 bucks.

At 487.00, the CPM is about (if I do the math right with about 170 in fees) which is 1.2CPM no? Which is poor?

I can’t recall what the generic CPM feeling is. I get more like 1.3 with rounding there. I’ve accepted that rate before because it positioned me direct where I couldn’t be bothered to change and I It about 5cpm on the return.

If the price is good book. I’ve been trying for months to finalize a trip (not alone) and price went up $1500 last week. Found better options and then up $800. Now that’s not AC. But I’ve seen AC prices jump $200 (lost) and $500 (won) over night too.

It could go down again. But it might get worse. Only you can answer what works for you. Got a million points and nothing planned for the 23rd? Earn minimum wage? Got a friend in SFO? Probably best to save the cash.

Got 26k points, earn 6 figures and don’t have anything to do for 8h in SFO? Might want to buy a revenue return. If you can use 12.5k points elsewhere before June 2020 (or earn another 11.5k).

I realize the above may seem be extreme and certainly don’t expect an answer just trying to make a
point that CPM and choices you make are greatly dependant upon your personal situation. I would and do pay $200 for a preferred seat return TATL, that’s badically my minimum position for a Y flight. I have friends who won’t spent $15 to avoid a middle seat,
despite being able to easily afford it.

Hope this helps.

dr_torch Jun 9, 2018 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by morphius909 (Post 29846051)
Elite???

Bahahha

I haven't been elite for years
i went from 50-75k status Miles to 1000 literally overnight .Thanks to reduction of work travel .

I

Good to know. You should probably update your profile, since I only made the assuption when I saw

AC *E
Anyway, I don't think the YQ on domestic and trans-border travel is that much is it? I sound bad now that I cannot remember :)

jc94 Jun 9, 2018 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by dr_torch (Post 29847971)
Good to know. You should probably update your profile, since I only made the assuption when I saw

Anyway, I don't think the YQ on domestic and trans-border travel is that much is it? I sound bad now that I cannot remember :)

When I was looking start of the year a Tango YYZ ORD was $185 and YQ was $130.

D582 Aug 7, 2018 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin (Post 30059258)
I usually arrive at the airport one hour prior to flight departure. With TSA Pre, it's easy to clear, and keep in mind there is no Star Alliance lounge at SAN, so no need to waste your time at a pretty boring airport.

There’s a UA lounge, but I wouldn’t make a point of visiting it.

longtimeflyin Aug 7, 2018 8:12 pm

Deleted.

Adam Smith Aug 7, 2018 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Diabeetus (Post 30057647)
For AC flights leaving SAN, how early should one arrive at the San Diego airport?
We have TSA precheck and carry-on only.

I was there a few months back. Pre-Check was full Pre-Check, not the crappy modified kind you often find at places like EWR and LGA, so it was very quick.

Originally Posted by D582 (Post 30059315)

There’s a UA lounge, but I wouldn’t make a point of visiting it.

Generally concur, although I'd say as far as UCs go, it's one of the nicer ones. It seemed pretty new.