Search

Buying up a fare

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:31 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC
Buying up a fare

If I buy up a Y fare to a J fare, and the Y fare is one that is not refundable, if I change my mind with the buy up, can I get a refund just on that portion?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
If I buy up a Y fare to a J fare, and the Y fare is one that is not refundable, if I change my mind with the buy up, can I get a refund just on that portion?
Y is the most expensive coach fare class and J is the most expensive business fare class... they are both fully refundable... so yes, you can do that... unless I'm missing something...

Heck, you can even just cancel for free and rebook.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:06 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Restrictive economy -> restrictive business
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
The original terms and conditions of the ticket remain in place, and apply to the entirety of the fare paid including any ADC.
longtimeflyin and jc94 like this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
I would guess not since the lowest J fare is also not refundable.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by AC*SE
The original terms and conditions of the ticket remain in place, and apply to the entirety of the fare paid including any ADC.
This is correct.

However. I'm not clear are you asking for a refund on the entire ticket (which you can't do) or just the upfare cost?
ie: You have Low Flex G for $300. You pay upfare cost $200 to Low Business P. Are you asking if you then decide you want to be back in Y you can get the $200 back?

I suspect not. At least not without a change cost which would be as per rules of the original ticket. Which can be anything from $0 to about $200 depending upon ticket type and (new) when you want to do it. Even on Flex price varies based on how far out it is.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jc94
You pay upfare cost $200 to Low Business P. Are you asking if you then decide you want to be back in Y you can get the $200 back?
Yes, this is an outstanding question I don't have an answer for. Before and after the 24 hour mark.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Short answer is, "no." Long answer is read the terms and conditions of the original fare purchased.

The 24 hour mark is irrelevant. The 24 period expires 24 hours after the initial purchase--there is no new 24 hour period after a change.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Short answer is, "no." Long answer is read the terms and conditions of the original fare purchased.

The 24 hour mark is irrelevant. The 24 period expires 24 hours after the initial purchase--there is no new 24 hour period after a change.
I was very much only referring to the 24 hour window post the initial purchase only.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
I was very much only referring to the 24 hour window post the initial purchase only.
Ok, so to be clear - you purchase a Flex fare and within 24 hours you call and upfare to P fare. In this case I would assume that you can cancel for no penalty with a full refund.

But I don't think I would even bother getting on the phone - I would just cancel the original fare and purchase the P fare.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dr_torch
Ok, so to be clear - you purchase a Flex fare and within 24 hours you call and upfare to P fare. In this case I would assume that you can cancel for no penalty with a full refund.

But I don't think I would even bother getting on the phone - I would just cancel the original fare and purchase the P fare.
I don't think you caught my original post which stated the underlying economy class fare is being covered by a 3rd entity.

You're right I can cancel within 24 hours and get a full refund for the whole trip but my query was whether or not I can just cancel the upgrade and the answer is no.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dr_torch

I don't think you caught my original post which stated the underlying economy class fare is being covered by a 3rd entity.
I did this recently. $950 for lowest Y, $1150 for lowest J. Very easy decision. I did the upfare within 24 hours of purchase, but I've now flown the outbound as well, so there was never a risk of having to cancel.

Booking reference on the expensed receipt really needed to match flown booking reference. If they ever looked it up and found out I cancelled before flying but still expensed it, I suspect I'd be meeting with some combination of finance, HR, and my manager.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:23 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
What if the original terms and conditions allow for cheaper changes than the Z fare? Surely I don’t get $200 changes when they would be $600 in the Z fare?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Booking reference on the expensed receipt really needed to match flown booking reference. If they ever looked it up and found out I cancelled before flying but still expensed it, I suspect I'd be meeting with some combination of finance, HR, and my manager.
I don't know how you folks manage to deal with the intricacies of flying and the grey area that surrounds these types of bookings. For me, this is a one off. I'm glad my day job is retirement!
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I don't know how you folks manage to deal with the intricacies of flying and the grey area that surrounds these types of bookings. For me, this is a one off. I'm glad my day job is retirement!
I'm in the middle of my first business trip in like 3.5 years.

For me, expensing a flight is a one-off.

I made a very reasonable booking and expensed it. I then paid, out of pocket, to change it to something better for me, but not in policy. I don't see how they could possibly challenge me. I bought an in-policy flight, and then I paid out of pocket to make it more comfortable. I didn't change dates, times, or flights. I literally paid the fare difference to move up a cabin.

Would your employer not let you pay for an upgrade?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.