Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

LHR MLL Access on Premium Economy ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2018, 5:40 am
Original Poster

First of all, I'm new here, so apologies if there is a thread for this already. I had a look and seen some related to the lounge, but nothing really specific to my question. I am travelling on Thursday (June 7) DOH-LHR-YYT. I have a near 6 hour layover in LHR. Part of the fare feature says that I can purchase lounge access for $25. I tried this, but was denied because of the fact that my first/departing flight coming out of Doha is a "non-DCS station" (no idea what that means). Since then, thanks to the Upgrade Bidding system, I placed a successful bid have up been upgraded to Premium Economy. Does anybody know if this will allow me lounge access, or if there is another way that I can gain access? I've looked at other lounges as options, but the prices on them are high with a time limit.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by progers84
First of all, I'm new here, so apologies if there is a thread for this already. I had a look and seen some related to the lounge, but nothing really specific to my question. I am travelling on Thursday (June 7) DOH-LHR-YYT. I have a near 6 hour layover in LHR. Part of the fare feature says that I can purchase lounge access for $25. I tried this, but was denied because of the fact that my first/departing flight coming out of Doha is a "non-DCS station" (no idea what that means). Since then, thanks to the Upgrade Bidding system, I placed a successful bid have up been upgraded to Premium Economy. Does anybody know if this will allow me lounge access, or if there is another way that I can gain access? I've looked at other lounges as options, but the prices on them are high with a time limit.
What was your original fare class? $25 is the cost from PY or Latitude. If you were on Tango I suspect they won’t let you buy a pass because you are subject to these original conditions with respect to buying a pass. If Flex they should allow it .. but it’s $50. Albeit for 6 hours and the half decent food (and drink) that would tempt me.

The flight coming in from Doha being a block makes no sense, to me anyway...

Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:07 am
Original Poster

I'm not sure what my original fare was, but I do know that the $25 pass purchase was an option, even before my bid upgrade was accepted. I purchased my ticket through Expedia, the confirming email has the cabin listed as Economy (W). It seems they were going to allow it, but when they seen that my incoming flight to London was out of Doha, I was told I was ineligible. I don't fly enough either, 3/4 return flights a year max, to have status that will allow me access.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:43 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
DCS = Departure Control System (check-in & boarding system). As DOH-LHR is a BA or QR flight, check-in will be done in a different system (Altea).
Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TPJ
DCS = Departure Control System (check-in & boarding system). As DOH-LHR is a BA or QR flight, check-in will be done in a different system (Altea).
Thanks for the clarification. Any idea though on why that would make a difference to gaining lounge access? I could 100 understand if neither leg of my flight was with AC, but .being that my departing flight from LHR is with AC, it seems odd to me.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:24 am

Thanks for the clarification. Any idea though on why that would make a difference to gaining lounge access? I could 100 understand if neither leg of my flight was with AC, but .being that my departing flight from LHR is with AC, it seems odd to me.
Have you got a AC booking ref? Login to AC website with that and they might be an option to purchase it. Otherwise phone and ask. I’m not clear where you saw that it’s possibke for $25 - from Flex it’s $50. W could be Standard/Tango or Flex these days.

AC did actually answer the non status line in only a few minutes this morning. Not even a weather warning.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
My guess is that it is simply an IT limitation. I don't think there is any law/regulation/rule. I could be wrong.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jc94

Have you got a AC booking ref? Login to AC website with that and they might be an option to purchase it. Otherwise phone and ask. I’m not clear where you saw that it’s possibke for $25 - from Flex it’s $50. W could be Standard/Tango or Flex these days.

AC did actually answer the non status line in only a few minutes this morning. Not even a weather warning.
I already checked online, there is no option online to purchase the pass, and I tried calling as well. That was where/when I was told that I was ineligible because of my departing flight from Doha. Where regard to where I seen that it was possible to purchase the pass for $25, that came from the AC app on my phone under fare features. (Tried to add a photo, but I haven't posted enough to be allowed)
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:09 pm

I already checked online, there is no option online to purchase the pass, and I tried calling as well. That was where/when I was told that I was ineligible because of my departing flight from Doha. Where regard to where I seen that it was possible to purchase the pass for $25, that came from the AC app on my phone under fare features. (Tried to add a photo, but I haven't posted enough to be allowed)
Was that via a dummy booking? LHR YYT definitely allows it, as per below. If booked Flex+ If it’s not online all I can suggest is calling in again, unless someone else can explain a reason (beyond our goto that ACs IT systems suck and it’s a continual amazement that one can actually book a flight let alone make changes) for this bizarre statement from ACs call center...

Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jc94

Was that via a dummy booking? LHR YYT definitely allows it, as per below. If booked Flex+ If it’s not online all I can suggest is calling in again, unless someone else can explain a reason (beyond our goto that ACs IT systems suck and it’s a continual amazement that one can actually book a flight let alone make changes) for this bizarre statement from ACs call center...

Not sure what you mean by dummy booking. My flight was booked through Expedia. Maybe that's the reason I don't have the option to purchase the pass online?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:52 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Welcome to FT, OP!
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I am just off the phone after nearly an hour with Air Canada Reservations. Most of which was on hold. First the operator told mentioned that I already have lounge access as part of my upgrade, then before anything else was said, she asked to play me on hold. After about 5 minutes later, she came back and said that I was eligible to purchase the pass for my outgoing trip at $25, and one for my return flight at $50. I said I would like to purchase the pass for my trip going, but as it was only a 2 hour layover/transit time on the way back, I would not need it. She said okay but they were not set up to accept cash and I would have to proceed to the MLL at LHR to pay for my pass. I said okay, but asked if I would have any trouble because I tried doing that when I flew the same route last year and was told by the attendants at the MLL that access had to be purchased before hand as they could not accept payment at the lounge. Again, I was placed on hold for near 20 minuntes when the operator came back to tell me that they her and another colleague tried and the system would not allow them to accept payment, and then she spoke to a manager who told her that I was ineligible for the DOH-LHR-YYT run, but I was for YYT-LHR-DOH. The funny thing is, when I open the AC app, click on my flights, click on this flight, and scroll to the bottom to view fare features, it shows the Pass can by bough for the DOH-LHR-YYT leg, but not vice versa. They also could not explain to me what I was ineligible, just that I was ineligible.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:44 am

Not sure what you mean by dummy booking. My flight was booked through Expedia. Maybe that's the reason I don't have the option to purchase the pass online?
Dummy booking is going through the process without buying ticket at the end.

I’m just confused where you saw the $25, you said “Part of the fare feature says that I can purchase lounge access for $25.”

Did Expedia claim this?

Unfortunately anything not booked with AC directly may and can prove too much for AC to then deal with on their website. They have an entire side site setup to handle seat allocations for partner bookings for example. No other airline that I’ve tried has this sort of issue.

I’d call AC again. I suspect you’ll get a reason that doesn’t relate to DCS. Don’t even mention DOH, just tell them you have a YYZ YYT leg, upgraded to PY, give them the AC six character reference, and ask if you can buy LHR MLL access.

If you can btw, it should appear as G6 on the BP.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
The simplest solution might be to use the Plaza Premium Lounge at T2, especially if you have access to Priority Pass through a credit card.

The location isn't the best as you're still in the A building and a good 15 minute hike away from the B gates, but they are equipped to take payment at the door.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Did you try the ACO website?

https://services.aircanada.com/Servi...?cmgfrm=return

Enter your Air Canada PNR into that and see if it allows you to purchase lounge access there?

Have you also tried to "Manage My Booking" on aircanada.com to purchase lounge access?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.