Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SD's treatment of SE in economy

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2018, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
I rarely sit in Y, but when I do, I get a hello/welcome about 10% of the time.
Old May 25, 2018, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
BA does not greet its top tiers with any regularity!
Old May 25, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
My first multicabin Y trip, in a year, was this week. I had a friend in Y. Walked back, asked the adjacent passenger if she wanted a J seat. She was about 20, and couldn't believe her luck.

The SD came back, introduced herself, told me I had done a nice thing and invited me to ensure she knew if there was anything I wanted.

So, for me, it has happened 100% of the time.

Statistically, slightly less significant than my friend Adam, though.
Old May 25, 2018, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
BA does not greet its top tiers with any regularity!
My BA sample size is the same as Adam's and I had 100% consistency. Way more flights in C and 100% as well. Three flights in F, no dice.
Old May 25, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Do you really want that? I find these greetings to be more of an annoyance than anything else.
I just nod as quick as possible so he/she would just leave me alone, its esp annoying in J watching them go through the the seats one by one.

Another reason why I rated SAS experience far better than AC was because no meaningless stuff like this at the beginning and end of the flight but actually providing a far better service during it.

Last edited by Jumper Jack; May 25, 2018 at 4:21 pm
Old May 25, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Do you really want that? I find these greetings to be more of an annoyance than anything else. I just nod as quick as possible so he would just leave me alone.
I don't think anyone here "wants" or "doesn't want". It's something that the OP noticed and posted about with a query to others.

And when it happens, a majority of the time it's literally a 5 to 10 second interaction.
totti and longtimeflyin like this.
Old May 25, 2018, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I had FA address me as Miss instead of Mrs then kept apologising when she realised the mistake. I don't care.
Jumper Jack likes this.
Old May 25, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I've never been acknowledged by name in Y, successfully gotten PR/LT-07 about 90% of the time (with 50/50 success in them granting it as a cash discount when I go over ("for something fromfro front")).

I'm only about 70% getting named up front, for that matter. I always am asked soon enough to get my meal choice, though.

Dom, TB, and MEX (polution haze can't possibly be considered a sun destination, is it?)
Old May 25, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: AC E75K
On a recent SFO-YVR flight on AC, I was seated in the first row of Y. The SD came by to say hi during boarding and covertly (in a half-joking manner) offered me a bottle of water. The J cabin was quite empty, so that may have had something to do with it. Otherwise, I've received no special treatment or recognition while flying AC in Y or PY.

Of all airlines I've flown, CA seems to be the most intentional about recognizing its status members when flying Y. My sample size is quite small, but in the handful of CA Y flights I've been on, I've seen FAs go through the Y cabin, manifest in hand, greeting all the status members and offering newspapers, pillows, and blankets. Some 5+ years ago, I was even granted this treatment even though I was only a *G (not CA Phoenix Miles) member.
Old May 25, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Seated in PE recently on a CDG-YYZ flight, the SD came over during boarding and scored me a glass of Champagne, yes the real stuff not the sparkling. I was very thankful.
Old May 25, 2018, 5:45 pm

I've flown AC a couple times since getting United Gold last year. Never was greeted by FA or SD on any of them even though I'm a *A Gold. OTOH I've flown MS several times and every time the FA would welcome me on board and thank me for being a *A Gold member. In fact on one of my flights (CAI->ZRH) the Captain came out and personally greeted me before the flight. That being said I haven't received any greeting from UA FA while flying with them even though I almost exclusively fly United, even for Canadian domestic routes (via DTW).

Safe Travels,

James
Old May 25, 2018, 6:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Do you really want that? I find these greetings to be more of an annoyance than anything else.
I just nod as quick as possible so he/she would just leave me alone, its esp annoying in J watching them go through the the seats one by one.

Another reason why I rated SAS experience far better than AC was because no meaningless stuff like this at the beginning and end of the flight but actually providing a far better service during it.
Bolding is mine.

You often complain about Air Canada, and generally speaking in society "hello [sir]" is considered a polite gesture -I'm shocked that you're this annoyed by it. If you don't like it, fine, but wow, your reaction is very surprising to me.

You must puke and be beside yourself on Asian carriers. Generally speaking top tier fliers on several mainline carriers in Asia get a greeting even if flying in economy class.
Old May 25, 2018, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
R2I is the new code AC created recently for InTheAirGuy and his associates/relatives: "Related To ITAG"
Cute!

So does that mean MrsITAG is doomed?
Old May 25, 2018, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy

So does that mean MrsITAG is doomed?
Depends on the prenup, I suppose.
Old May 25, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Bolding is mine.

You often complain about Air Canada, and generally speaking in society "hello [sir]" is considered a polite gesture -I'm shocked that you're this annoyed by it. If you don't like it, fine, but wow, your reaction is very surprising to me.

You must puke and be beside yourself on Asian carriers. Generally speaking top tier fliers on several mainline carriers in Asia get a greeting even if flying in economy class.
He's probably just jealous those SEs not traveling on their father's Aeropesos are getting a more elaborate greeting. (just giving you a hard time, @Jumper Jack!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.