Wiki Posts
Search

SD's treatment of SE in economy

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2018, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
SD's treatment of SE in economy

I had a few flights with AC in economy (shocking, I know, and probably even more surprisingly I survived ) and noticed an interesting difference in how the SD addressed me as SE: On almost all intra-Canadian flights the SD stopped by, addressed me by name, asked if everything was alright, offered a drink or something and thanked me for my business. On the international flights (all TATL) I usually did not even see the SD and at no occasion were they talking to me.

Do you have similar experiences? Do you have an idea why SDs act so differently?

And just to be clear: I am not complaining about not being greeted on certain flights. I was just curious as to why there is such a difference that seems to be pretty consistent and that deviates significantly from my experience with BA and LH. On both BA and LH top tiers in Y are greeted by the SD with a fairly high consistency and if they do not it's usually on the short-haul, not the long-haul flights which I totally understand because they are more stressed and busy on the short-hauls.
skybluesea likes this.
Old May 25, 2018, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by totti
I had a few flights with AC in economy (shocking, I know, and probably even more surprisingly I survived ) and noticed an interesting difference in how the SD addressed me as SE: On almost all intra-Canadian flights the SD stopped by, addressed me by name, asked if everything was alright, offered a drink or something and thanked me for my business. On the international flights (all TATL) I usually did not even see the SD and at no occasion were they talking to me.

Do you have similar experiences? Do you have an idea why SDs act so differently?

And just to be clear: I am not complaining about not being greeted on certain flights. I was just curious as to why there is such a difference that seems to be pretty consistent and that deviates significantly from my experience with BA and LH. On both BA and LH top tiers in Y are greeted by the SD with a fairly high consistency and if they do not it's usually on the short-haul, not the long-haul flights which I totally understand because they are more stressed and busy on the short-hauls.
Yes, it happens occasionally for me in Y transcon as well. It's always a nice touch.
Old May 25, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
I am in Y 99% of the time I don't fly over an ocean.

I think in all my years, once I had an in-charge offer me a paper and shake my hand, once one walked past me and offered me a paper personally then kept going and one offered to move me to a better Y seat and didn't take my CC for some BoB.

If you average it out with all my flights, those are statistical anomalies, even with the SM on the manifest. That said, I have no expectations of such so I am not bothered (but would be nice)
Old May 25, 2018, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by lcohen999
I am in Y 99% of the time I don't fly over an ocean.

I think in all my years, once I had an in-charge offer me a paper and shake my hand, once one walked past me and offered me a paper personally then kept going and one offered to move me to a better Y seat and didn't take my CC for some BoB.

If you average it out with all my flights, those are statistical anomalies, even with the SM on the manifest. That said, I have no expectations of such so I am not bothered (but would be nice)
Of my 150 or so flights in Y last year, I was greeted by the SD about 15-20 times. It ranges from a simple "Hello Mr. yyznomad, my name is SD and I would like to personally welcome you back. If there is anything we can do for you, please don't hesitate to ask" all the way to things I'm not going to write about on FT.
Old May 25, 2018, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Of my 150 or so flights in Y last year, I was greeted by the SD about 15-20 times. It ranges from a simple "Hello Mr. yyznomad, my name is SD and I would like to personally welcome you back. If there is anything we can do for you, please don't hesitate to ask" all the way to things I'm not going to write about on FT.
This mirrors my experience - seems somewhat random whether they come by to introduce themselves. When they do, it is typically along the lines of "if there is anything I can do...". I have only once used that option when offered and they were helpful.

Albeit a much smaller sample size, I find if flying PE they have consistently come by.
Old May 25, 2018, 12:57 pm

I guess they don't like me .

Ah well
Old May 25, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
The last time I flew TATL in Y, the SD came back and offered me and my no-status business colleague access passes for FastTrack immigration at LHR.
The last time I flew TATL in J, the SD did not even say hello.
--
13F
martiantoad likes this.
Old May 25, 2018, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess they don't like me .

Ah well
Just ask AC to remove the R2I code on the PIL that's next to your name. It's clearly a mistake.

If that doesn't work, then it's clearly not worth having sort of SE status at all.
Old May 25, 2018, 1:33 pm

Clearly !

All this flying was for naught !

p.s. what is an R2I code... I am not sure if you are joking or not as I have not heard of that one
Old May 25, 2018, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Clearly !

All this flying was for naught !

p.s. what is an R2I code... I am not sure if you are joking or not as I have not heard of that one
R2I is the new code AC created recently for InTheAirGuy and his associates/relatives: "Related To ITAG"
lcohen999 and wrp96 like this.
Old May 25, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
I am in Y 50% of the time. Maybe greeted 10% of the time.
Old May 25, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
I’ve been greeted in Y once this year, and I can probably count on one hand over 8 years of SE where I’ve been greeted sitting in Y...
Old May 25, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Almost all my flights are long haul. I am very rarely greeted by SDs in Y, about 50% of the time greeted if in O, usually greeted if in J.

My last trip was a weird anomaly as I was booked in Y YYZ-CDG but was gate upgraded to J due to it being a full flight. Of course I had ML01 on my BP and so was not given an early choice of meals, although sometimes I do get the early choice even with ML01. It was not until the SD was distributing Fast Track Immigration passes (which I didn't even need as I have an EU passport) that they came by, but they mentioned that they had been looking for me in my original Y class seat to give this to me. Not finding me there I suppose they actually must have then looked on the manifest at that point
Old May 25, 2018, 2:45 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I have been personally greeted by the SD on 100% of the AC multi-cabin flights for which I have been seated in Y since 2016.

That's 2/2 times, so my sample size is definitely statistically significant

Originally Posted by vernonc
I am in Y 50% of the time. Maybe greeted 10% of the time.
Is that 10% of the time you're in Y, or 10% of your total flights, i.e. 20% of the time you're in Y?
totti, skybluesea and smallmj like this.
Old May 25, 2018, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I have been personally greeted by the SD on 100% of the AC multi-cabin flights for which I have been seated in Y since 2016.

That's 2/2 times, so my sample size is definitely statistically significant

Is that 10% of the time you're in Y, or 10% of your total flights, i.e. 20% of the time you're in Y?
They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it happens every time.
totti likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.