Wiki Posts
Search

YYZ-HKG business class

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2018, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
However, I now select based on cost. If I leave on an off peak day, I save money by flying AC. If CX is less expensive than AC, I will select CX. (I don't even bother collecting points with CX or OW.)
Thats too bad - because each roundtrip in CX business nets 225% mileage (35000+ Alaska miles)
Its only 50k to go YYZ-Asia on CX in business one way.

As MVP75, I used to get 350% on a round trip (55k+ miles). After only one trip, I got a one way to Asia (incl Thaland/Singapore) in business for free (no scamcharges either, and availability was superb on YYZ-HKG J)

You cannot beat those earnings to redemption value with Aeroplan

And as for the 1:50 am departure, I found it preferable to 10am. You get straight to sleep, get a super long night in, 10+ hours, and land in the am rested. The 10am AC flight, you ll stay awake all flight, and then one starts getting tired just about as landing approaches - body thinks its late evening. That day ends up being wasted, and sleep schedules all messsed up.
Old May 26, 2018, 11:17 am

Here's my CX J report on this route with lots of photos : Flight Report : CX 825 Toronto - Hong Kong
ffsim and longtimeflyin like this.
Old May 26, 2018, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I did LGA-YYZ-HKG-BKK earlier this year. With the exception of the last segment (on CX), LGA to HKG segments were operated by AC. The entire experience was superb.

Despite being told about the likely possibility of missing the connection at YYZ, I had at least 45 minutes to enjoy AC's impressive Signature lounge.
Old May 26, 2018, 11:55 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by hkskyline
Here's my CX J report on this route with lots of photos : Flight Report : CX 825 Toronto - Hong Kong
I am shocked at the devaluation of the business class (second) meal as you mentioned -not the case on my last flight. I don't see a date stamp. When was this trip?
Old May 26, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by rankourabu
And as for the 1:50 am departure, I found it preferable to 10am. You get straight to sleep, get a super long night in, 10+ hours, and land in the am rested. The 10am AC flight, you ll stay awake all flight, and then one starts getting tired just about as landing approaches - body thinks its late evening. That day ends up being wasted, and sleep schedules all messsed up.
I'll try it next time.

For the 10am departure, I just have a very short night the night before. With the long flight, you get to still watch a bit of TV and then go to bed. By the time you arrive, you are rested and can finish off the day and go to bed by 11pm midnight, easy rest and you wake up early AM good to go. For the return it's similar.

My worry with the early AM arrival is that you have to stay awake for a long time. I have a feeling that arriving early AM, I'm going to be tired by 4-5pm. And if I fall asleep by then, I'll wake up around midnight (noon NA time), and then I'm really ducked.
Old May 26, 2018, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
I am shocked at the devaluation of the business class (second) meal as you mentioned -not the case on my last flight. I don't see a date stamp. When was this trip?
End 2016. I just took this flight again recently and the meals have slightly improved.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old May 26, 2018, 11:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Well, another alternative, if you have couple of hours to spare and want to see something different.

China Southern twice daily 787 from YVR and once daily from YYZ over Guangzhou

Client sending me to Delhi on Tuesday, so will get some experience in their business class on world's fourth largest carrier.

On return, doing overnight stopover to see the City - and only two hours to Hong Kong by train, if you wish....
Old May 27, 2018, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by hkskyline
Thanks for doing this!
I haven't flown CX in years and when I did, it was in Y, and it was alright!
Old May 27, 2018, 8:01 am

I flew flew CX in Y, and it was not alright
Old May 27, 2018, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
I flew flew CX in Y, and it was not alright
@SparseFlyer

Is it because you weren't in J/F?
How was thegu food?
Was it better than AC Y at least?
Old May 27, 2018, 9:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by yyznomad
@SparseFlyer

How was thegu food?
when have we considered the stuff AC Y serves food?
Old May 28, 2018, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
@SparseFlyer
I flew this in Y once in 2017. They did block the middle seat next to me as Emerald, so that was nice to have extra room. There was nothing special about CX Y food. Was it better than AC ex-YYZ? Not exactly a high bar there.
But with the 1:50am departure, after the meal, I was so tired, I woke up 11 hours later.

With the 10AM AC departure, you are left to contemplate your 3-4-3 misery for the entire day on your body clock.
Old May 28, 2018, 12:13 pm

@SparseFlyer

How was thegu food?
Food was mediocre. Can't really duck up congee.

It did give me congee farts though.
Old May 28, 2018, 12:41 pm

IME, CX J in recent years has surprisingly gone downhill while AC J in recent years has surprisingly improved.
I think CX is still better than AC, but the gap is smaller than before.
Old May 28, 2018, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Use the search function please. Discussed a million times already.
Don't understand these "use the search function" posts.

This is an internet forum. We all know about the search function. OP chose not to use it, you can choose to ignore his post and move on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.