FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Advice Requested - TD Aeroplan vs. CIBC Aerogold Visa Infinite (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1910537-advice-requested-td-aeroplan-vs-cibc-aerogold-visa-infinite.html)

Bohemian1 Jul 22, 2019 8:24 am

Originally Posted by LearningToFly (Post 31328974)
... Never CIBC again. But I have to check if TD is also transferring it’s customers claims to Global Excel.

TD Life provides the service for TD Visa.

Clipper801 Jul 22, 2019 8:38 am

Originally Posted by LearningToFly (Post 31328974)
I have both, I won’t renew CIBC though. Beginning of April I had to cancel a YUL-LHR flight for medical reasons. CIBC transferred the claim to Global Excel for analysis and settlement. It took 3 months and a half for them to analyse the claim. Meanwhile Globa Excel has been asking for the same documents twice, and kept asking for more and more “proofs”, just to finally deny the claim. The reason was that my ticket had been credited by Air Canada for a further flight, which was absolutely false. Where did they take that information, I’ve asked. I got a first answer: they had call AC, which was false. Then a second answer: because AC always gives credit for a cancelled flight (also false). Then a third answer: there was a code on my ticket meaning that my ticket was refundable (also false, the code sais NREF). Finally I have been reimbursed for the whole ticket. Never CIBC again. But I have to check if TD is also transferring it’s customers claims to Global Excel.

If your cancellation was a result of a covered situation, you will be reimbursed for the non-refundable portion of your trip.
If AC offered you a travel credit or partial refund, you will not get a double dip.

LearningToFly Jul 23, 2019 5:12 am

Originally Posted by Clipper801 (Post 31329521)
If your cancellation was a result of a covered situation, you will be reimbursed for the non-refundable portion of your trip.
If AC offered you a travel credit or partial refund, you will not get a double dip.

As I said, I did not get any credit nor reimbursement from Air Canada ( I had the lowest available fare). And I have been fully reimbursed at the end by Visa CIBC. Almost four months later, and after much hassle, which was the purpose of my post. Hope it was clear for everyone that I’ve never expected a double dip.

LearningToFly Jul 23, 2019 5:13 am

Originally Posted by Bohemian1 (Post 31329461)
TD Life provides the service for TD Visa.

Thanks.

Clipper801 Jul 23, 2019 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by LearningToFly (Post 31332735)

As I said, I did not get any credit nor reimbursement from Air Canada ( I had the lowest available fare). And I have been fully reimbursed at the end by Visa CIBC. Almost four months later, and after much hassle, which was the purpose of my post. Hope it was clear for everyone that I’ve never expected a double dip.

Thank you for the clarification.
One major issue with the CIBC policy is that it is a second payor plan.
Not sure about TD.

jc94 Jul 24, 2019 6:09 am

Originally Posted by Antonio8069 (Post 31329225)
TD is offering a 25K bonus for new cards.
Also, I bank with TD i.e. the $120 fee is waived.
Last, I use the TD VISA lounge in Union Station. I get its a long way from Edmonton - but its convenient if you are visiting downtown Hogtown.

I know the OP doesn't seem to mind about this but note that 10k of this 25k bonus requires one to spend $2k in the first 90 days of opening (which, based on how long it takes to get the card is more like 75 days, my first statement cleared about two weeks after I applied, I'd only had the card a few days). The first 15k is on first payment. The old 30k offer only required half that spend.

In terms of general usage, the TD card is full of flaws, I had to goto a branch branch three times for my online application, the online system is terrible to setup (if not a TD account holder) and their "1.5 points for groceries" is flawed because it doesn't work at many stores, like Walmart for example. Again maybe not relevant for the OP and I don't know if the CIBC one is any better but I'm one of those people who uses a card for almost everything to get some sort of point of cashback incentive, because why not.

Now as to insurance, the TD card was slow but did eventually pay out for hotels due to a weather related delay on X tickets, at least for my friend.