Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nothing "super" about SE status

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: AC*SE 2MM, Marriott*Plutonium Lifetime, other stuff
When did SE begin? I'm closing in on 2MM, (1.8 and change) but I only started hitting SE after the Canadian merger, and was never EP with Canadian before that.
Old May 20, 2018, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Travellin_man
When did SE begin? I'm closing in on 2MM, (1.8 and change) but I only started hitting SE after the Canadian merger, and was never EP with Canadian before that.
It was grandfathered into AC at the time of the merger. Prior to that point, AC only had Elite as their highest tier. So this would be 1999/2000 timeframe, IIRC.
Old May 20, 2018, 9:47 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I suspect the "discount program" remarks were made tongue-in-cheek as I did not take it seriously.
Nothing tongue-in-cheek about it. There is only one thing you can't buy with more money: Priority meal selection in J. Everything else is merely made less expensive by joining the bulk buying club. Sounds like a discount club to me.

Originally Posted by Stranger
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concierge

Provide services, yes. Servants, no.

Calling them servants is rather inconsiderate.
What about public servants?
Old May 20, 2018, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was grandfathered into AC at the time of the merger. Prior to that point, AC only had Elite as their highest tier. So this would be 1999/2000 timeframe, IIRC.
I believe AC introduced the SE level a year or two before the merger. I missed the first couple years, silly me, with around 80 k status miles. This was in the 1999-2000 time frame, i.e. before the merger.
Old May 20, 2018, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
Nothing tongue-in-cheek about it. There is only one thing you can't buy with more money: Priority meal selection in J. Everything else is merely made less expensive by joining the bulk buying club. Sounds like a discount club to me.

What about public servants?
They are not servants, are they?
Old May 20, 2018, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
They are not servants, are they?
Well, in the sense they don't work for $0, correct... but I think that's confusing the word "slave" with "servant". They absolutely serve the public, and are paid by the public. Much like an AC concierge serves AC customers, and AC customers indirectly pay AC concierges.

A servant is merely a person who serves, albeit typically personal servant or assistant... like servants' quarters at home, or servants' entrance for caterers, etc... I would expect a (real) concierge to use that entrance if it was an option, not the main entrance. It's matter of efficiency and decorum, not social value or stature. But agreed, most would assume butler or maid when this word is used.
Old May 20, 2018, 10:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Phone/email access to the concierge.

Higher standby priority (cabin comes first, so you can buy that, but status is the next tie breaker).

SE check-in line.

I'm not saying these are all super-awesome-must-haves, but there are plenty of things that a full J ticket doesn't include.
Old May 21, 2018, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow

Higher standby priority (cabin comes first, so you can buy that, but status is the next tie breaker).

SE check-in line.

I'm not saying these are all super-awesome-must-haves, but there are plenty of things that a full J ticket doesn't include.
Concierge: Buy new ticket. Delay. Buy new ticket. Don't like seatmate, offload, buy new ticket.
Force a seat reassignment for another pax because you want your lucky seat? can't buy... agreed
Get protected on next 4 flights so you can fly on the next one out? can't buy... oh wait, well, assuming IRROPs, probably can't buy.

Higher standby, true... J SE beats regular J.

I'm still thinking AC treats their full J rev pretty well during IRROPs, at least almost equal to what a concierge could do. I suspect, maybe even sometimes, the concierge helps these regular J non-elites?

I assume for Tango SE it's a world of difference compared to Tango *A, but again, money would have bought you into J anyhow... you're only in tango to save money: discount.
Old May 21, 2018, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
LOL
Old May 21, 2018, 5:19 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
Concierge: Buy new ticket. Delay. Buy new ticket. Don't like seatmate, offload, buy new ticket.
Force a seat reassignment for another pax because you want your lucky seat? can't buy... agreed
Get protected on next 4 flights so you can fly on the next one out? can't buy... oh wait, well, assuming IRROPs, probably can't buy.

Higher standby, true... J SE beats regular J.

I'm still thinking AC treats their full J rev pretty well during IRROPs, at least almost equal to what a concierge could do. I suspect, maybe even sometimes, the concierge helps these regular J non-elites?

I assume for Tango SE it's a world of difference compared to Tango *A, but again, money would have bought you into J anyhow... you're only in tango to save money: discount.
While a E75K can also do this, a SE and E75K can buy a full fare economy class ticket and thus kick someone else off the plane. This isn't a privilege that is exclusive to SE100K.
Old May 21, 2018, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
While a E75K can also do this, a SE and E75K can buy a full fare economy class ticket and thus kick someone else off the plane. This isn't a privilege that is exclusive to SE100K.

Thanks you.. true and actually good to know..

BTW, I'm not saying SE has no value... it has immense value (no sarcasm). But it amounts to merely a discount program of significant monetary value.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
LOL
You do have access, but they can choose to not reply.
Old May 21, 2018, 9:18 pm

You do have access, but they can choose to not reply.
Huh?
Old May 22, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Huh?
Replying to the comment about phone/email access to the concierge
Old May 22, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Then what are concierges then?
from : https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...-services.html
"Our concierges are sensitive to cultural diversity and are specially trained in guest management, hospitality, and building customer relationships.They can help with all your day-of-travel and airport matters, including ticketing, connections, upgrades, baggage handling and special in-flight meal requirements.Concierge agents are also immediate resources for personal needs and last-minute arrangements such as hotel and restaurant bookings, theatre ticket reservations and limousine service, or other specific requests eligible guests may have."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.