Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada among four major airlines who quietly changed their references to Taiwan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada among four major airlines who quietly changed their references to Taiwan

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2018, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Wow. It literally says that on the passport my dude.
So? Does not change one iota. It *is* a major issue. About half the people in Taiwan hate the C and want to replace it by a T. With the side effect of making China pretend to be furious...

Or god forbid, F for Formosa.
Old May 15, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by Stranger
So? Does not change one iota. It *is* a major issue. About half the people in Taiwan hate the C and want to replace it by a T. With the side effect of making China pretend to be furious...

Or god forbid, F for Formosa.
Fine, they can be mad about AC's move once that they try to change it to T.
But right now AC's action has no issues because the passport still says C

And no, putting a softcover over the official passport doesn't count lol
Old May 15, 2018, 3:24 pm

Air Canada should combine Canada with the US and call it North America then
Old May 15, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
Air Canada spokeswoman Isabelle Arthur said the carrier’s “policy is to comply with all requirements in all worldwide jurisdictions to which we fly.”

This settles it! Total genius.
Easy to implement. They already have different versions of the website for different countries.

At least it is not the silliness that use to exist with Cuba where it is operated/sold as "AC Vacations".
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Air Canada spokeswoman Isabelle Arthur said the carrier’s “policy is to comply with all requirements in all worldwide jurisdictions to which we fly.”

This settles it! Total genius.
Doesn't help when there are conflicting requirements...
No, I disagree. AC complies with "all" worldwide jurisdictions. AC is compliant, unlike the unruly plebes that are not AC. There is no rule that AC breaks, worldwide where they fly, ever. Spokesperson said so, but she doesn't work at the airport I suspect... hmmm

Originally Posted by Fiordland
Easy to implement. They already have different versions of the website for different countries.

At least it is not the silliness that use to exist with Cuba where it is operated/sold as "AC Vacations".
Could just eliminate country altogether. I fly to Vancouver, or Toronto... Not Canada. Has anyone booked an American Airlines flight to the "American airport"? I guess the only thing is, if I'm non-visa-exempt for Taiwan and book a flight to TPE, would AC let me fly with a China visa?

Are you suggesting calling it Taiwan for American visitors and China for Chinese visitors? What happens for hardcopies? Easy fix is to codeshare with BR or CI and make it their problem.
Old May 15, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Does anyone call it Thina?? =P
canadiancow likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yscleo
For Taiwan, Canadian passport shows TWN as country of birth.
OK. I compared my passport with the passport of someone born in Taiwan. On mine, it has the place of birth (city) and a three letter code for the country. Which one might think would indeed be TWN for Taiwan. However the other passport is actually *NOT* like that. Instead, for the whole entry (city+country) is has just TAIWAN written in full. Without the city of birth.

That passport has Chinese entry visas BTW, which has never been an issue.
Old May 15, 2018, 4:53 pm

If the Taiwanese think of China as a bully, can someone explain to me the name China Airlines.
Plumber likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Its the cost of doing business in that region, that's all. You can be offended but clearly one area represents a significant larger economic interest to AC vs the other.

It really shouldn't be that big of a deal(well, unless you really want to make it one).. one is PRC and the other is ROC.. both ends with China.
Principals and transparency should trump "profits". The issue here is that Canada has gone on and on about democracy, human rights and all sorts of sunny way sentiments. Air Canada has a corporate ethics statement. What offends me is the blatant hypocrisy and double standard the government of Canada has on the issue, and that some of its largest companies apply when doing business in China.
I have zero sympathy for Taiwan, particularly as to its origins and personally, I believe in a one China policy, but there is a way to achieve that. The fact remains that the residents of Taiwan live in a democratic territory and do not wish to be subject to a one party corrupt military based dictatorship that has no respect for human rights or freedoms companies like Air Canada say that they uphold. Air Canada's position says that the airline puts possible profit before doing the right thing and that it does not support the right of Taiwan to self determination. The government of Canada, should have said it was wrong for Air Canada to do that.

I say possible profit, because no Canadian company to date has really made a profit in China. The Canadian firms are deluded like gamblers hoping for the dice to roll their way. There is a reason why China runs a massive trade deficit with Canada, and it is because they stack the rules their way and can push weak countries like Canada around. We don't see Air China or China Eastern making any gestures of respect for Canadian values or sensitivities.
yscleo and longtimeflyin like this.
Old May 15, 2018, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tracon
If the Taiwanese think of China as a bully, can someone explain to me the name China Airlines.
That dates from the time when the Taiwan government still claimed, with strong US support, to be the "legitimate" government of the whole of China. Which alas helps with the current Chinese claim.
Old May 15, 2018, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Principals and transparency should trump "profits".
As in school principals?

I have zero sympathy for Taiwan, particularly as to its origins
You mean, as a Dutch colony? Or Koxinga (the son of a pirate, who got a big statue on Gulangyu), or what?

Edit: if you actually mean, not the origin of Taiwan but of the ROC regime, I actually agree with you.

Last edited by Stranger; May 15, 2018 at 9:54 pm Reason: Added last sentence
Old May 15, 2018, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Could just eliminate country altogether.
Convenient for the inexperienced flyer when deciding whether to fly to YQY vs. SYD, LON vs. YXU or MLB vs. MEL to name a few off the top of my head.
Old May 15, 2018, 9:59 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
That dates from the time when the Taiwan government still claimed, with strong US support, to be the "legitimate" government of the whole of China. Which alas helps with the current Chinese claim.
China Airlines is free to change its name to Air Taiwan to really stick it to China (some Taiwanese politicians tried already), but it doesn't because the name change impacts bilaterial agreements and they won't be able to fly to many countries, thus China Airlines keeping its name as a business decision, same conclusion that Air Canada has apparently reached.
Old May 16, 2018, 12:16 am

Programs: AC E75K
I wonder if we’ll go back to the days of British Asia Airways, Air France Asia, Swissair Asia, KLM Asia (which, oddly, seems to have stuck around), etc.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 12:49 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
OK. I compared my passport with the passport of someone born in Taiwan. On mine, it has the place of birth (city) and a three letter code for the country. Which one might think would indeed be TWN for Taiwan. However the other passport is actually *NOT* like that. Instead, for the whole entry (city+country) is has just TAIWAN written in full. Without the city of birth.

That passport has Chinese entry visas BTW, which has never been an issue.
Had to pull out my passport to double check, but indeed that is the case -- Place of birth just says "TAIWAN". Note this is also the same for those born in Hong Kong and Macau (no country code -- looks like this is since July 2003)

Hope AC does the right thing on this

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.