Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC business fares to Australia have gone stratospheric!!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2018, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC35K

My wife and I fly to OZ every year for six weeks during our Winter flying YYZ/YVR/BNE. The fare typically has been approximately $15K business lowest return for both of us.

Currently the fares on the AC website are $20K for two business lowest and a staggering $40K for two business flexible return tickets.

Questions for fellow flyers:

1/ What am I missing?

2/ I can fly YYZ/LAX/BNE on Virgin Australia for $16.3K return for both of us, the layovers are 3.5 hours and 5 hours respectively. Has anyone flown this route?

3/ I can fly YYZ/HKG/BNE on Cathay for $15.3K for both of us, the layover is 2.5 hours going and 1hour on the return leg. Has anyone flown this route?

We travel very light and only have carry on so worrying about checked luggage through LAX or HKG is not a problem.

Comments and suggestions would really be appreciated.
Old May 14, 2018, 6:02 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Originally Posted by TorontoGooner
My wife and I fly to OZ every year for six weeks during our Winter flying YYZ/YVR/BNE. The fare typically has been approximately $15K business lowest return for both of us.

Currently the fares on the AC website are $20K for two business lowest and a staggering $40K for two business flexible return tickets.

1/ What am I missing?

2/ I can fly YYZ/LAX/BNE on Virgin Australia for $16.3K return for both of us, the layovers are 3.5 hours and 5 hours respectively. Has anyone flown this route?

3/ I can fly YYZ/HKG/BNE on Cathay for $15.3K for both of us, the layover is 2.5 hours going and 1hour on the return leg. Has anyone flown this route?

We travel very light and only have carry on so worrying about checked luggage through LAX or HKG is not a problem.

Comments and suggestions would really be appreciated.
What currency are you looking at? lol. Is that CAD?

I can see decent business class flights on Google Flights in $5K-$7K range, on Star Alliance - Air New Zealand or EVA Air. If you wanna go all Air Canada, it's about $9K

https://www.google.ca/flights#flt=YY...;sc:b;sd:1;t:f

Cheers
Eddie
Old May 14, 2018, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

1/ What am I missing?
This recently started thread asking the same question

AC's J pricing to Australia

No real answer from that thread (yet), however. Most chalk it up to "erratic pricing", "seasonal Down Under events that could drive up pricing", etc.
Old May 14, 2018, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
2/3 yes - and both are far superior options to AC.

Why would checked luggage be any more worry in HKG than YVR?
Old May 14, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by cooleddie
What currency are you looking at? lol. Is that CAD?

I can see decent business class flights on Google Flights in $5K-$7K range, on Star Alliance - Air New Zealand or EVA Air. If you wanna go all Air Canada, it's about $9K

https://www.google.ca/flights#flt=YY...;sc:b;sd:1;t:f

Cheers
Eddie
OP is quoting the price for 2 pax.
Old May 14, 2018, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Hi Eddie, thanks for your reply. Yep, those prices are CAD.

I've never booked through an aggregator. Are there any pitfalls?
Old May 14, 2018, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. I'm leaning towards options 2 or 3. I've been loyal to AC through my career and now into my retirement but that is going to change. AC think that because they are marketing J class as a Signature Service they can charge prices comparable to the top five global airlines. They are deluded.

My error about the luggage comment.
Old May 14, 2018, 7:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Supply and demand at its finest.
Old May 14, 2018, 7:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Mid week (Tues/Wed/Thurs) departure fares in both directions are cheaper than departure on other days - by several thousand dollars.

I just came from Australia in April. Booked it last fall. It was about $6200 (all inclusive) return on AC for April if flying on one of those 3 days in both directions - much more expensive on other days of the week by several thousand dollars.

But I do not know your definition of "winter" flying. That is summer in Australia and winter in Canada -so I would expect prices to be much higher than in spring, fall, or even summer seasons (in Canada).
Old May 14, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K | Latitude Flight Pass junkie
I think you've picked some weird dates and didn't view flexible date chart. Like everyone else, I see lots of ~$8K per person business fares this winter.

Last edited by YVR72; May 15, 2018 at 4:52 am
Old May 14, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Hi Eddie, thanks for your reply. Yep, those prices are CAD.

I've never booked through an aggregator. Are there any pitfalls?
No pitfalls you can try it .
Old May 15, 2018, 4:10 am

Programs: AC-SEMM, AA-Gold
I have used an aggregator - downside is the stiff penalty for changes or cancellation. Awesome fares and earn full points.
I booked to MEL on AC for Nov 6800 all in
Old May 15, 2018, 5:47 am
Suspended

AC has a monopoly YVR/BNE & YVR/MEL nonstops & a virtual monopoly YVR/SYD(QF only seasonal few days a week).

Whenever there's a monopoly you'll pay a premium.

Look at options via LAX, SFO.

Fiji Airways is a fantastic airline & flights are nonstop daily LAX/NAN with good connections about 5 days a week to BNE. They also fly up to 3 days a week SFO/NAN at around the same time. Their long haul fleet is all newish A330's.

Have flown business class a number of times. It's much cheaper than the nonstops, plus if you pay for tickets with dollars, not points/miles they have what's called BULA BIDS, where you can bid on long haul flights, starting about AUD$865.

+ bonus in flying via Fiji, is you can stopover in fabulous Fiji which must be the happiest place on earth.

Stops of less than 72 hours mean you don't incur Fiji departure tax of FJD$200/adult (about AUD$135). Plenty of good 5 star accom within 20 mins cheap taxi ride from airport at Denarau(called an island but it's not really) + many more bit further + many resorts on islands.

On www.fijiairways.com you can book YYZ/NAN but better option would be to find a decent living travel agent in YYZ, who can book you're whole itinerary YYZ/BNE via either SFO or LAX & NAN.

IMO - Fiji Airways is a much better airline that AC, any U.S. airline, Qantas, Air NZ & probably on par with Virgin Australia.

The flights from NAN to either BNE or SYD are only just over 3 hours.

DATES OF TRAVEL
You mention northern winter which is summer in OZ. School holidays in OZ run from mid Nov-early Feb (every state in slightly different). Qld school holidays run from late Nov to late Jan for private schools & bit less for govt schools, so you need to be flexible date wise, as day or 2 difference can make a huge difference airfare wise.
Old May 15, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K | Latitude Flight Pass junkie
Originally Posted by southpac
AC has a monopoly YVR/BNE & YVR/MEL nonstops & a virtual monopoly YVR/SYD(QF only seasonal few days a week).

Whenever there's a monopoly you'll pay a premium.

Look at boptions via LAX, SFO.

Fiji Airways is a fantastic airline & flights are nonstop daily LAX/NAN with good connections about 5 days a week to BNE. They also fly up to 3 days a week SFO/NAN at around the same time. Their long haul fleet is all newish A330's.

Have flown business class a number of times. It's much cheaper than the nonstops, plus if you pay for tickets with dollars, not points/miles they have what's called BULA BIDS, where you can bid on long haul flights, starting about AUD$865.

+ bonus in flying via Fiji, is you can stopover in fabulous Fiji which must be the happiest place on earth.

Stops of less than 72 hours mean you don't incur Fiji departure tax of FJD$200/adult (about AUD$135). Plenty of good 5 star accom within 20 mins cheap taxi ride from airport at Denarau(called an island but it's not really) + many more bit further + many resorts on islands.

On www.fijiairways.com you can book YYZ/NAN but better option would be to find a decent living travel agent in YYZ, who can book you're whole itinerary YYZ/BNE via either SFO or LAX & NAN.

IMO - Fiji Airways is a much better airline that AC, any U.S. airline, Qantas, Air NZ & probably on par with Virgin Australia.

The flights from NAN to either BNE or SYD are only just over 3 hours.

DATES OF TRAVEL
You mention northern winter which is summer in OZ. School holidays in OZ run from mid Nov-early Feb (every state in slightly different). Qld school holidays run from late Nov to late Jan for private schools & bit less for govt schools, so you need to be flexible date wise, as day or 2 difference can make a huge difference airfare wise.
But, we have already covered the fact that OP was mistaken, and that AC does offer fares in exactly the same price range that he found with competitors. So, why would he make extra stops if not necessary?
Old May 15, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by southpac

to each their own, but there is no way a 2x2 with stops is 'much better' than AC on this very long route... apples and raisins IMO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.