Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC to cover Michigan mans flight to meet NFLD girlfriend after Twitter campaign

AC to cover Michigan mans flight to meet NFLD girlfriend after Twitter campaign

Old May 12, 2018, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
My guess is that this man's successful Twitter campaign is more enthusiastically panned by those who didn't think of it first.
Well, he wasn't the first to think of it either. I suspect there's a bit of oversaturation in that particular niche, which is why he did not get even close to the target. What he found, luckily for him I suppose, was a company more eager for a feel good PR story than he may have been even to go to Newfoundland.

There is also not really a problem with people investigating this man's circumstances and passing judgment. After all he essentially asked for public support for his request. The public has a right to decide if they deem the cause worthy of support, and in this case apparently quite a few people were not impressed by the man or his cause.
KDS777 likes this.
Old May 12, 2018, 8:34 am

If AC wants to give away free tickets, there are many other more compelling situations than this one ...........
KDS777 likes this.
Old May 12, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: FOTSG
We can agree this PR campaign missed the mark, but I'm wondering what is gained by an unsolicited and probably creepy-invasive "deep dive" into this man's information, which has yielded all sorts of judgmental statements. I'm sure I and half the people reading this have contentious (to some) spending habits and haircuts; are we also to expect some level of sanctimonious analysis and advice?

My guess is that this man's successful Twitter campaign is more enthusiastically panned by those who didn't think of it first.
If you put yourself out in public on social media, you cant fault the public for taking a look.

In some of his most recent Twitter posts, prior to the free flight campaign, he is very open and honest about how he barely can afford to live his day-to-day life, let alone buy a ticket to Newfoundland to visit a girl hes never met in person.

In regards to everyones spending habits, thats absolutely everyones own personal business. But when you start making appeals to strangers for monetary donations to help you live and then turn around and spend money on non-essentials? There is clearly some sort of disconnect. And please dont interpret that as me saying it in a judgy pretensions way, I dont mean it like that at all.

The young man is only 19; hes going to make mistakes in life (I was 19 not too long ago, like we all were). But regardless of age, we all have to make decisions to change our circumstances. And those decisions should be made and acted upon first, before involving a bunch of us total strangers.
Old May 12, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by Jazzed91

If you put yourself out in public on social media, you can’t fault the public for taking a look.
Of course. However, a social media presence is not an invitation for others to pass judgment or advice.
Old May 12, 2018, 9:23 am

Of course. However, a social media presence is not an invitation for others to pass judgment or advice.
I am very thankful to have the privilege of living in a society where neither an invitation nor permission is required for me to share advice.

And that young man is not required to take it (if he ever happened to read this thread on this random website).
Old May 14, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
not mere presence. however, if you're posting stuff hoping to get 'likes' and retweets, then yes it is an invitation to comment.
Old May 14, 2018, 2:41 pm

The young man was supposed to fly to YDF today, but did not. Apparently he and his girlfriend have scheduling issues that they need to sort out, as per a tweet.
Old May 14, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Jazzed91
The young man was supposed to fly to YDF today, but did not. Apparently he and his girlfriend have scheduling issues that they need to sort out, as per a tweet.
If I was going to YDF Id wait another month myself. Theres still a reasonable chance of snow and definitely a frost right now.
Jazzed91 likes this.
Old May 14, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by jc94

If I was going to YDF Id wait another month myself. Theres still a reasonable chance of snow and definitely a frost right now.
It's not a camping holiday; he's ostensibly traveling to meet a woman. Weather should be irrelevant. Some might argue colder is better.
eigenvector likes this.
Old May 14, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
It's not a camping holiday; he's ostensibly traveling to meet a woman. Weather should be irrelevant. Some might argue colder is better.
I refer also to the chance of him getting there without weather issues. I hope he has travel insurance or on my way.
Old May 14, 2018, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jc94

I refer also to the chance of him getting there without weather issues. I hope he has travel insurance or on my way.
Perhaps he has patience?
Old May 14, 2018, 10:39 pm

Programs: AC SE, Bonvoy Tit/LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Enterprise Gold, UA*S, Accor Gold, Hz 5*
Hopefully they booked him in latitude as he can't even show up for his free flight.
Old May 17, 2018, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Response from Duncan Bureau noted on LinkedIn

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update...64672779051008

Hello world, I would like to introduce you to the worlds angriest writer - Vinay Menon from the Toronto Star his hatred for a warm gesture is frankly shocking - as is his lack of knowledge re the amount of charities that the team at aircanada supports. It is unfortunate that individuals like this have license to spew anger and lack of facts into our lives
Old May 17, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by tcook052
Response from Duncan Bureau noted on LinkedIn

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update...64672779051008

Hello world, I would like to introduce you to the worlds angriest writer - Vinay Menon from the Toronto Star his hatred for a warm gesture is frankly shocking - as is his lack of knowledge re the amount of charities that the team at aircanada supports. It is unfortunate that individuals like this have license to spew anger and lack of facts into our lives
Is it weird that the President of AC Rouge couldn't figure out how to link to the correct Air Canada company profile on LinkedIn?
jc94 likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by capedreamer
Is it weird that the President of AC Rouge couldn't figure out how to link to the correct Air Canada company profile on LinkedIn?
Is it not precisely what one should expect?
capedreamer and jc94 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.