Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Flight Pass Booking Issue - Route "Sold Out" but segments available

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc

Can anyone explain why the following keeps happening?

My FP books in M class. All of the direct flights are indeed M=0

All of the YUL-YYZ segments are M=9.

For YQB-YUL:
8707 M=2
8711 M=3
8715 M=2
8717 M=2
8719 M=1
8723 M=1
8725 M=7

I am able to book any of the above segments individually, but they show sold out when I try to book YQB-YYZ.

This is a fairly common occurrence, and because I am using a UFP I can just book the individual segments, but it does require two bookings, which means two change or cancellation fees and no protection if one flight is delayed/cancelled.
Old May 9, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I think that this is what is being referred to as "married segment logic". AC is willing to sell an M class fare to Montreal on a stand-alone basis, but is not willing to make this M class fare available through Toronto, as potentially they may not want to have to deal with overbooking someone with a connection. Expertflyer shows all of these flights as M=0 if you do the search as YQB-YYZ with the connection in YUL
Old May 9, 2018, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by YOWCDNFF
I think that this is what is being referred to as "married segment logic". AC is willing to sell an M class fare to Montreal on a stand-alone basis, but is not willing to make this M class fare available through Toronto, as potentially they may not want to have to deal with overbooking someone with a connection. Expertflyer shows all of these flights as M=0 if you do the search as YQB-YYZ with the connection in YUL
Thanks, that may make sense when M=1 or M=2, but 8725 has M=7??? And 8717 is now showing M=4....
Old May 9, 2018, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Yhztraveller
Thanks, that may make sense when M=1 or M=2, but 8725 has M=7??? And 8717 is now showing M=4....
Adding to what @YOWCDNFF said, you can think of your origin and destination as a city-pair product, even if possible flights to/from connecting cities are showing ample space.

Side commentary: And don't forget, M=7 on a site like EF just means 7 seats willing to be sold, not necessarily 7 seats available.
Old May 9, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Yhztraveller
Not sure what to say. I wonder how "automated" the married segment logic stuff is if this is indeed the issue - maybe things take time to adjust. Fact remains that EF shows those flights as M=0 when connecting to YYZ

Last edited by YOWCDNFF; May 9, 2018 at 1:54 pm Reason: Wrong info
Old May 10, 2018, 7:12 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I would phone Air Canada and let them know the issue. When Ben Lipsey was around he could delve into some of these issues. I will watch for it as well as it certainly limits the utility of flight passes if this is a common occurrence. Makes no sense really (and sometime AC's IT just needs a kick in the butt to change it).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.